What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's 103 not out for the jets this saturday

BDGS

Bench
IT'S 103 NOT OUT FOR THE JETS THIS SATURDAY

The Newtown Jets will celebrate their 103rd birthday on Saturday, 8th January 2011. The Jets performed strongly throughout the 2010 competition rounds but fell away disappointingly in the finals series. An infusion of new blood plus a fierce determination to bring the NSW Cup premiership title back to Henson Park should see the Jets among the front-runners once again in this flagship competition of the NSW Rugby League.

Coach Greg Matterson backs up for his fourth season as NSW Cup coach with the Jets and he has brought on board a top-notch brains trust to assist him in his quest to secure a premiership title for the oldest club in Australian rugby league. His new coaching staff includes men of the calibre of Darryl Neville (ex-Souths), Sean Rutgerson (ex-Norths, Canberra and Salford) and Dan Wortley (ex-London Harlequins). The collective skills and experience of this group constitute a formidable footballing "think-tank" indeed.

Among Newtown's better known signings for 2011 are Kurt Kara (ex-Wests), Josh Kent (ex-Canterbury), Brett Lane (ex-Balmain), Isaac Maliota and Boyd Strickland (both ex-Roosters), Francis Tuigamala (ex-Cabramatta) and Tim Winitana (ex-Canterbury). There are several other players training full-time with the Sydney Roosters NRL squad who will probably join the Newtown playing ranks during the course of the upcoming trials program, commencing with the Return to Redfern match against South Sydney on Saturday, 5th February 2011. All revenue from ticket sales for this match that are made through the Newtown RLFC will flow straight back into the Jets' own coffers. You can call 0447 046 516 to secure your tickets for this clash between these old inner-city rivals right now.

Details of the South Sydney v Newtown trial match are as follows:

Saturday, 5th February 2011
Redfern Oval
The Return to Redfern Occasion for 2011
South Sydney v Newtown
Kick-Off: 6.00pm.
(Curtain-Raiser: South Sydney v Sydney Roosters SG Ball Cup Trial at 4.30pm)
The South Sydney and Newtown teams will be playing for the Jack Rayner-Frank "Bumper" Farrell Trophy
(There is talk of a special item of memorabilia from the 1955 First Grade Grand Final between South Sydney and Newtown being unveiled on the night)
Admission to this Return to Redfern Occasion for 2011 is by ticket only.
Tickets are available from the South Sydney RLFC and from the Newtown RLFC.
Newtown ticket buyers should contact: Stuart McCarthy on 0447 046 516 and Olga Lauricella on 0412 712 612.
The revenue from all the match tickets purchased through the Newtown RLFC goes straight back to the Newtown Jets coffers for their 2011 season.
http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=38182

boo_boo

Juniors
God bless the Bluebags.
I love it how the club has survived to this day to give us long suffering League fans some hope that not everything in the game revolves around crawling to Murdoch or the corporates & the game of Rugby League is poorer for you not being a part of the NRL..
So happy birthday to the Newtown DRLFC & keep up the good fight.

God I miss going to Henson Park for the footy. My brother used to live in Newtown (he's now in Glebe), and when I would come up from Wollongong to visit the relo's / watch a St George game I would stay Saturday's with him and go to Henson for the footy (even bought him the 2006 or 2007 Newtown jumper, can't remember which). It's a bit hard to get from the Gold Coast to the games these days.

greg

Juniors
God bless the Bluebags.
I love it how the club has survived to this day to give us long suffering League fans some hope that not everything in the game revolves around crawling to Murdoch or the corporates & the game of Rugby League is poorer for you not being a part of the NRL..
So happy birthday to the Newtown DRLFC & keep up the good fight.

Nicely summed up Boo Boo.

Latest posts