What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its 6pm F**K you NRL

6pm Friday Game Slot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

user_nat

Coach
Absolutely hated it during the daylight savings part of the year. Coming around now though.
Way better than the old 2x 7 30 games.
Preferred Monday from a viewing perspective, but Friday is easier to schedule than having games on 5 nights.

Life's Good

Coach
Shift Friday back a single 7/7.30 game. 3 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday & bring back Monday night. Don't know, don't care about commercial possibilities etc. Just my wish.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Go to red red button simucast on fox on Saturdays and have 1 Friday 4 Saturday 3 Sunday games. Having said that there will always be some excuse to use for not turning up to a game if you really can't be arsed.

Danish

Referee
Either the thursday or the early friday game needs to go.

Personally the early friday game is much more of a bitch, but shifting the thursday game to sunday night would be the first move I'd make.

TV will never allow that though as sunday night is their "stupid reality show garbage that rates its tits off" timeslot, so if they could slot in an extra sunday afternoon game that would also be nice.

If I were to have an ultimate schedule, it would be these slots:

friday - 7:30pm
saturday - 3:30pm , 5:30pm, 7:30pm
sunday - 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 7:00pm

You'll notice thats only 7 slots. The 8th game would would double up on any of those time slots depending on what works best for scheduling that week, giving a bit of flexibility to reduce the amount of short turnarounds.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Obviously a likeable timeslot.
Seems easy for people to knock off work and go straight to the footy.

TV wise, good timeslot

Downside is the Friday 8pm kickoff time. The Thurs and Friday games need to be kicked off earlier...

big hit!

Bench
Shithouse.

This one game-one timeslot crap is a pain in the arse too. I like my footy weekend condensed, not strung out as it has become in the NRL. It's why I enjoy the NFL so much. Monday morn here in Oz and that's it. makes weekly match turnarounds easier too.

Ideally:
1x fri 730pm (but 9 insist on airing ACA) - C9 match
1x sat 530pm
2x sat 730pm - 1x C9 match
2x sun 200pm - 1x C9 match
1x sun 400pm - C9 match
1x sun 600pm

i've taken away the saturday arvo game due to most junior footy being played and so much other shit that goes on that day. make sunday the main footy day again.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Traveling to Campbelltown or Leichhardt on a week night is just to difficult so I opted for other. Where would I move it to though, well Sunday afternoon would be my choice. I don't have a problem with two games sharing the one slot. The workaround would be to host Warriors home games at 2pm Sunday so we would go on the east coast 12pm, 2pm and 4pm.

Danish

Referee
Shithouse.

This one game-one timeslot crap is a pain in the arse too. I like my footy weekend condensed, not strung out as it has become in the NRL. It's why I enjoy the NFL so much. Monday morn here in Oz and that's it. makes weekly match turnarounds easier too.

Ideally:
1x sat 530pm
1x sun 400pm - C9 match
1x sun 600pm

i've taken away the saturday arvo game due to most junior footy being played and so much other shit that goes on that day. make sunday the main footy day again.

NFL has Thursday night every week as well

Basil Brush

Juniors
I don't mind the 6pm slot for tv/pub purposes. Not great for trying to get to the game though.

I may be on my own, but i also like thursday night and monday night footy. If i could, i would have footy on every night. Better than the other crap on tv.

big hit!

Bench
NFL has Thursday night every week as well
unless the Raiders are in it, I don't take much notice.

14 of the 16 matches, (or 11/12 of the 13/14 in bye weeks) are played on Sundays. It's wonderful!

same with the EPL. they've introduced fri night matches this season, but generally, 6 of their 10 matches each week are on saturdays with 4 or 5 all starting at 3pm.

siv

First Grade
Have to take my kids out of school just to get to the game when travelling 2h

Let alone taking a day off work also

Much prefer

Fri - 1 x 8pm

Sat - 1 × 5:00pm
Sat - 2 × 7:00pm
Sat - (1 x 9:00pm once we get Perth/Adelaide added)

Sun - 2 x 2:00pm
Sun - 2 × 4:00pm

Raiderdave

First Grade
Either the thursday or the early friday game needs to go.

Personally the early friday game is much more of a bitch, but shifting the thursday game to sunday night would be the first move I'd make.

TV will never allow that though as sunday night is their "stupid reality show garbage that rates its tits off" timeslot, so if they could slot in an extra sunday afternoon game that would also be nice.

If I were to have an ultimate schedule, it would be these slots:

friday - 7:30pm
saturday - 3:30pm , 5:30pm, 7:30pm
sunday - 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 7:00pm

You'll notice thats only 7 slots. The 8th game would would double up on any of those time slots depending on what works best for scheduling that week, giving a bit of flexibility to reduce the amount of short turnarounds.

7pm sunday is too late
it may as well be monday
no one will attend with work & kids at school the following day & itll be a ghost town on a wet winters night

there should be no thursday games except prior to easter , a big tradition needs to start there with maybe the Broncos playing the Roosters up there each year at 8pm

one only on Friday at the later time
Saturday kickoff timesca be as early as 2pm here (4pm in NZ ) & as late as 9.30pm if we ever get over to WA permanently
Sunday can be as early as 12pm (2pm in NZ) & as late as 8pm in WA during daylight savings
the latest a game should be telecast on a sunday outside of daylight savings should be 6pm & that game is in Perth , so its a 4pm kickoff

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
Using junior league as an excuse for not having Saturday afternoon is bullshit.

For a start, that's not the case everywhere, for example in Canberra it's played Sunday.

Secondly, surely the NRL can work with the local leagues so that when an NRL match is scheduled in that district, the local games are scheduled around it. Again, that's what happens in Canberra and it works quite well.

Saturday afternoon is a great, traditional time slot. Keep it.

Friday 6pm is ok, but would probably do better on Sunday at 6pm.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Using junior league as an excuse for not having Saturday afternoon is bullshit.

For a start, that's not the case everywhere, for example in Canberra it's played Sunday.

Secondly, surely the NRL can work with the local leagues so that when an NRL match is scheduled in that district, the local games are scheduled around it. Again, that's what happens in Canberra and it works quite well.

Saturday afternoon is a great, traditional time slot. Keep it.

Friday 6pm is ok, but would probably do better on Sunday at 6pm.

whats more
the junior league in Canberra on Sunday is over & done with by about 12pm
they achieve this by playing all their under 16's ( oldest non senior grade ) on Friday nights as double headers at the better grounds with good lighting

GongPanther

Referee
Shithouse.

Ideally:
1x sat 530pm
1x sun 400pm - C9 match
1x sun 600pm

A lot of people like to go to the pictures,shopping,fishing,watching the races. Why Fox puts on the league all Saturday is a bit of a mystery.

siv

First Grade
A lot of people like to go to the pictures,shopping,fishing,watching the races. Why Fox puts on the league all Saturday is a bit of a mystery.

I would rather see on Sat

Natiinal U20s 1:30pm
National RG 3:30pm

On Sunday the same

National U20s 10am
National RG 12pm

You can replay NZ NSW and QLD Cup match if the rounds at

Sat 10:30am
Sat 12:00pm
Sun 8:30am

Latest posts