What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's NOT a mess

Crush

Coach
If negotiations are currently underway to get Daley for head coach next year does that mean we are a mess for considering it?
What evidence is there to suggest that Daley is in negotiations with Dragons?
Other than Monsterkev posting it on a RUMOUR thread?
Highly unlikely to happen IMO given how things are looking for this year. I can see us making top 4 or just outside.
Mary will be re-signed surely if that happens.

Old Timer

Coach
What evidence is there to suggest that Daley is in negotiations with Dragons?
Other than Monsterkev posting it on a RUMOUR thread?
Highly unlikely to happen IMO given how things are looking for this year. I can see us making top 4 or just outside.
Mary will be re-signed surely if that happens.
Purely a hypothetical question
As usual you take the defensive position instead of just answering the question
For the record the notion of Daley coaching the dragons is not a new one and goes back a few years
With all the NRL coaches pretty settled and in your opinion the club not being in a mes can you tell me why.Mary had not already been signed?
Obviously the club is keeping its options open so why would Daley not be a possible option?

possm

Coach
For the record the notion of Daley coaching the dragons is not a new one and goes back a few years
With all the NRL coaches pretty settled and in your opinion the club not being in a mes can you tell me why.Mary had not already been signed?
Obviously the club is keeping its options open so why would Daley not be a possible option?
Opinion is the feedlot of the forum and Crush has a high opinion of Mary and Millward; he is a loyal follower of people he does not really know and who do not know him.

Doust and the Board have made some stupid mistakes over the year however, this time they seem to be a bit more wary when appointing a coach. I'm sure the question each on the Board will ask themselves is;
Why did not the Dragons adopt a similar game style in previous years? And why didn't Mary listen to the senior leadership group prior to his extension being up for consideration?

The real story is that we have been in the doldrums the past few years mainly due to;
A poor playing style that did not match the players skill-set.
A poor roster stacked mainly with fringe first graders/reserve graders.
Poor selection decisions
Poor bench management
A POOR COACH

As for Daley, he is untested at club level and so I doubt the Club is chasing him but who knows, maybe he comes at 'Mary / Price' rates. That would make him very interesting to Doust.

Crush

Coach
I always thought you were not big on the rumours.
I would say the reason why Mary hasn't been re-signed yet is due to the clubs recent history of signing coaches after solid starts only to see them drop off and have horrible follow up years.
The club is being cautious. They may have had Daley on their radar before this season but it would seem very unlikely that they would take Daley on as head coach if the dragons form continues.
A lot has changed since the charity shield this year OT, wouldn't you agree?

possm

Coach
Surely, the team's good form so far this year is not all to Mary's credit. I'm sure we could be doing even better with good bench management and with sound selections. In addition, the team is playing to a style designed by the football committee and senior leadership group. The playing style together with some good signings is what has influenced our change of fortunies the most.

Old Timer

Coach
I always thought you were not big on the rumours.
I would say the reason why Mary hasn't been re-signed yet is due to the clubs recent history of signing coaches after solid starts only to see them drop off and have horrible follow up years.
The club is being cautious. They may have had Daley on their radar before this season but it would seem very unlikely that they would take Daley on as head coach if the dragons form continues.
A lot has changed since the charity shield this year OT, wouldn't you agree?
Crush
You are correct that I don't hold with too many rumours however I do respond to people's posts where applicable
The Daley one has been around for a while so it does deserve some comment
Do I think it likely NO
Is it possible YES
Do I think it would be appropriate NO

denis preston

First Grade
Surely, the team's good form so far this year is not all to Mary's credit. I'm sure we could be doing even better with good bench management and with sound selections. In addition, the team is playing to a style designed by the football committee and senior leadership group. The playing style together with some good signings is what has influenced our change of fortunies the most.

Wonder who did that ?

possm

Coach
Wonder who did that ?
Millward signed Vaughan, Macdonald and McInnes who were unwanted by their club. Did not have to fight for any of them. I'd say even Mary could have got those signings without any drama. However, when it came to the tough stuff, Widdop, Dugan and Packer, Mary gets 33/100 which is considered a fail mark. And to make it worse, both are critical to our roster and both wanted to stay and it took him 6 months to lose them.

What a mess, a Millward mess.

verfive

Juniors
Millward signed Vaughan, Macdonald and McInnes who were unwanted by their club. Did not have to fight for any of them. I'd say even Mary could have got those signings without any drama. However, when it came to the tough stuff, Widdop, Dugan and Packer, Mary gets 33/100 which is considered a fail mark. And to make it worse, both are critical to our roster and both wanted to stay and it took him 6 months to lose them.

What a mess, a Millward mess.
not this again

FlameThrower

Bench
It's not a mess, things are looking bright from my armchair
Top5, with a number of key players out, makeshift halves and fill spots to cover injury.
We played Storm, Sharks and Roosters and we're just beaten, sharks games was a ripoff.
I'd say we are doing pretty well. I've not seen a Dragons team so happy and playing for each other since the Bennet years..
Credit to the Club, recruitment and coaching staff..getting a bit tiresome this negative rants about the Club, you'd think we were second last....

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Anybody here heard of a guy called Jason Demetriou .surely if these idiots were talking to a certain Laurie Daley who is a step backwards from our current coach.Jason is only assistant coach for the broncos I'm sure he'd consider Head Coach for the BIG RED. V.

possm

Coach
It's not a mess, things are looking bright from my armchair
Just because it's looking good to you doesn't mean is not a mess.

We have a great squad this year and added Hunt to this squad for 2018. The cap is expected to go up by 2m, so Hunt costed us half the cap rise. In January this year we had a competition winning squad.

So what do retention do, they let Dugan and Packer go even though we had the cap to keep them. All they wanted was an extra year. Puff, there goes our GF winning side for 2018.

Is there a B plan to replace Dugan and Packer like for like or better? Doesn't seem so as nothing has happened. If for 6 months recruitment were talking but not shifting their offer, surely a B plan should have been put in place.

SaintElroy

Juniors
Just because it's looking good to you doesn't mean is not a mess.

We have a great squad this year and added Hunt to this squad for 2018. The cap is expected to go up by 2m, so Hunt costed us half the cap rise. In January this year we had a competition winning squad.

So what do retention do, they let Dugan and Packer go even though we had the cap to keep them. All they wanted was an extra year. Puff, there goes our GF winning side for 2018.

Is there a B plan to replace Dugan and Packer like for like or better? Doesn't seem so as nothing has happened. If for 6 months recruitment were talking but not shifting their offer, surely a B plan should have been put in place.

Not a mess possum. Sorry dude.

DJ21

Juniors
Long time lurker first time poster...

I was devastated last year when the club retained Mary and let Demetriou go I think that was potentially the worse recruitment decision made in a very long time.

In regards to the playing group I think things are definitely on the improve and it is obvious priorities have changed from earlier in the year. Widdop was on the nose and one foot on the plane back home to England until his form improved dramatically, Vaughan was a mystery after moving from Canberra where he was disappointing, Hunt was a pipe dream, Lafai was a reserve grader and it was all about signing Luciano before the dogs got him.

Aside from Brisbane and maybe Melbourne (surprise, surprise) most teams have to make some sort of compromise to fit their spine under the cap - Sharks have Townsend, Cows lost Ponga, Roosters recycled Flash Gordon... our spine of 1. ? 6. Widdop 7. Bunt and 9. McInnes is really shaping up. IMO Dugan is great defensively but is not up to it in attack, the modern game needs a bally player that can pass. Tedesco was the one to through the book at, Hayne is toxic. If they don't want to play one of the kids Cody Walker is the best option out there and maybe even Will Hopoate now he plays sundays - both will be cheaper than Dugan, wont play origin and are less injury prone.

Packer is a loss but we have enough big money boys in the pack, I think the Bennet ploy of pay peanuts for the pack and spend on attacking players is the best philosophy.

cussy

Juniors
You are on crack! have you not noticed the players have played a differently depending on the opposition? Surely you have to give credit to the coach for this or do you think the players just turn up and say ok today we are going to hit the right side or we are going to have quick play the balls and offloads? Watch the tigers game replay on fox where you can hear the players during the ad break- gypsy turns to another player and says something along the lines of " just like we trained boys". Give your anti Illawarra agenda a break mate it really is getting tiring reading your bullshit.