What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official - Farah to leave

If the reported payout is true, what have they gained? What quality can you buy for $200k. Farah's book should make fascinating reading.
The have allowed one man's ego get in the way of doing what he should have done, i.e. worked with the contracted players on the books.

FootynRacing

Juniors
It's a bit rich of this club to be pulling the emotional card in social media posting photos of Farah sitting on the scoreboard with the words "The scoreboard says it all"

WALKING into a sold out Leichhardt Oval for the biggest game at the grand old ground in years, the trickle of gold tops ground to a halt.

Why?

The queue was five deep, the traffic wasn’t moving, and the group of supporters, young and old, were adoring.

It was Robbie Farah, signing autographs, taking selfies and pausing with kids for the final time as a Wests Tigers player.

“Thank you Robbie, you’re a good man,” said a father as his son slipped away beaming.

Meanwhile, playing for a top eight berth on a sun drenched afternoon at Leichhardt Oval should have been the field of dreams for these Tigers players.

Instead, Jason Taylor would have given his half-time talk, with his side 30-4 down, interrupted constantly inside the bowels of the Latchem Robinson Grandstand, shaking with chants of “Robbie, Robbie, Robbie”.

The irony could not be lost.

No matter which way you try and sugar coat it, digest or understand it, the biggest cheer — on the day the club copped 50 points playing for a top eight spot — came for the bloke the club finally got rid of in its masterplan.

As the dethroned captain held back tears, 18,000 fans thanked a club icon, who never got to his 250 games, but would play another 250 games for the club if he was allowed.

Whether you’re a Tigers supporter or not, or whether you like Farah or not, it seemed galling that the game was played with a giant #ThanksDene on the Leichhardt turf for fellow club legend Dene Halatau, while Farah was awkwardly paraded out at the break.

We know the definitive news on Farah only came on Saturday night after much wrangling but given the build-up in speculation, this was only ever going to be his farewell as well.

We’re not going to go over the Taylor-Farah saga again; it feels like the club has lost two years being overshadowed by it. In the end, Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco have become such stars in their own right that time could well prove Taylor to have made the gutsiest call in the club’s history.

Even if it is, it’s a sorry part of the Tigers history that was finally, emotionally and awkwardly put to bed today.

As a Tigers supporter I never took sides or knew who was right or wrong. I just wanted my team to win and the club to treat its players properly.

But you just needed to listen to the faithful today. Fifty-point hidings in a do-or-die finals type clash, which saw supporters start streaming out with 15-20 minutes to go, leaves an incredible pre-season of work to convince the adoring faithful it really is the right call.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/e135866adf5681ccd73b4d58f49b472e

Sums it up well.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I've heard it's more like $600-$650k. Obviously too much but the clubs decided that's the way they want to go.

Looking forward to seeing Liddle in the top squad next year.

TiggaPlease

Emotional, competitive, big ego, over plays his hand often leading to errors, huge talent, stifles the other creative players around him... I wonder how long our supporter base will last before turning on Moses with the same criticism that Farah got?

Farah is by far the greatest player that Wests Tigers have ever produced and it is such a huge shame to not see him finish his career as a one club man.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I'll also add that the current board inherited a great deal of this mess from the previous board and CEO.

They've dealt with it, albeit harshly and it's resulted in a player that loves the club being shafted.

It's over. Jason Taylor has done what many reports suggest that Potter could not, but the truth of it is that none of us know the real truth behind it all, and I'm sick of the petty bickering and garbage being used as clickbait.

What we do know is that Farah took unders for years and deserves every cent the back loaded contract entitles him too. What I know is that the current board and CEO have learnt a great deal from all this shit and will not repeat the mistakes of 4 and 5 year contracts being backloaded so heavily to lead us into the same mess again. The mess ends after 2017, and Taylor will sink or swim over the next year as he has the team he's created over the last 2 seasons and will have nobody to blame but himself. Taylor has behaved like a complete bell end, and Farah (as much as I love what he's done for the club and the passion he clearly has) is not really much better.

It's over. 2016 was a year that we exceeded expectations, and also failed when it mattered most.

I''ll be a member again in 2017, and I'll be there at the ground. I've been a member of this club before all these players and coaches came, and I'll be there long after they've gone. For J Taylor, it all depends on 2017, and at the moment he'll leave no friends behind among the fans. It's all up to him to prove that he deserves respect and a contract beyond next season.

Apey

Staff member
Hopefully it will be like when the Panthers got rid of Lewis, Jennings etc for the Tigers. Reaping the rewards of moving off a highly paid star further down the track.

Tiger05

First Grade
If you had 750K, you wouldn't use it to remove cancer?

Definitely but Robbie isn't cancer. The analogy is complete bullshit.

The have allowed one man's ego get in the way of doing what he should have done, i.e. worked with the contracted players on the books.

Yep. I might understand if we got something out of it but we haven't.

We really need a good year next year. JT needs it now as much as what we do or at least he should.

Shredder

Juniors
It breaks my heart to see Robbie not be a one club player and not get his 250 games with us. It really does.

But having said that, the reality is that we played better without him this year. Im not sure that anyone can question that?

Taylor is the coach and he got his way, as he should.

We need to be better next year, which means making the finals (thats one spot better....) so lets see.

I don't think the club performed all that much better without Farah
Agree with you madunit and just because they won games does not mean they won them because a particular player did or didn't play.

Siro didn't play in many of the games they won, can we say that was the reason they won? no we cannot.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I don't think the club performed all that much better without Farah

Farah was omitted from the team roughly around the same time we signed ET. It looks like we were playing better without Farah but it really was due to having ET in the team.

Shredder

Juniors
Jim, agreed that ET helped, but he seemed to play better when he WASNT playing hooker and instead played as a wide back rower. In my opinion, thats his best position.

Latest posts