It's official:Words can kill.

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Bandwagon, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Bandwagon

Bandwagon First Grade

Precedents from other jurisdictions can be used in arguments, it doesn't hold the same weight obviously, but the law evolves based upon arguments, which sets precedents.

2. sportive cupid

sportive cupid Referee

No its rulings based on arguements that set common law precedences .
    Im not a barrister,but im not sure that bringing up an arguement based on a ruling in a state of the US would get much of a hearing from a judge or jury in Australia.

3. B-dos

B-dos Referee

i remember reading through the transcripts of the conversations and its pretty f**ked up

but its pretty clear this girl has mental issues of her own

something about sending her to jail for 20 years when this guy simply killed himself and hurt no one else doesnt really sit right with me

Bandwagon likes this.
  4. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

What implications does this open everyone up to?

Having some heated banter with a random on Facebook over an article and you tell them to end themselves and they go off and go and do so without you having any knowledge of their mental state. Where does that take you?

5. Mong

Mong Immortal

Should be safe to assume it would take more than one instance depending on content of what happened given how the offence is worded. A former super mod here had a habit of telling other posters to do exactly that, I often wondered why the site tolerated it and what any potential ramifications were going to be if that happened over a period of time and someone on the end of those words did exactly that..

I also don't understand the need to suggest it in the first place.

6. age.s

age.s Bench

She sounds like a horrible human being so I have no sympathy for her personally, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that being classed as manslaughter. End of life discussions can have much more nuance than that.

Not to mention she was 17.

7. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Because people are merkins?

8. Firey_Dragon

Firey_Dragon Coach

Telling someone to get back in a vehicle and get it done, when they were questioning their decision is being complicit in the act.

No sympathy from me, she's obviously got her own issues, but based on the transcripts, it's questionable whether he would have followed through on it without her involvement. This sort of incident sets a precedent for bullying and harassment that results in suicide, I have no problem with that. The words of people can have a profound effect on the mental state of others who are in a vulnerable state.

Mr Spock! and Smack like this.