What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary Confirmed As New Panthers Coach

hindy111

Post Whore
Im pretty sure Ivan and Guss worked together at Roosters?
Anyhows is Georgaliss assistan coach? i hearrd david Fairleigh will be??

TeamSatan

Juniors
Ivan Cleary is an intelligent man and this is a big chance for him to become a coach along the lines of Bennett.

With Gould clearing the path for him he should be able to do his job without to much interference from the bogon element in the club.

Now the pieces are in place, its up to them now.

Its up to us to support the team harder than we have before.

Fibroman

First Grade
I like Cleary. Seems very level headed and I think he will coach for an attacking brand of footy.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Code:
I like Cleary. Seems very level headed and I think he will coach for an attacking brand of footy.

Remember how you once, as a kid, thought there was such thing as Santa Claus?

Ivan Cleary, the attacking coach, is your new Santa.

Your team now has the following moves: the ineffectual double-around/decoy move with the back-rower the opposition wouldn't have any qualms defending even if he did receive the ball. The bomb to the wing.

That is all.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Get ready for five one out hitups followed by a bomb to the wing without any semblance of fluid backline moves. But yeah I still think Cleary will do a solid job at Penrith with Gould behind him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Get ready for five one out hitups followed by a bomb to the wing without any semblance of fluid backline moves. But yeah I still think Cleary will do a solid job at Penrith with Gould behind him.

That's what we have now. Gould wants that to change so should give Ivan the players to play expansive footy. Also most times I watch in NZ it's raining. That can't help fluid backline movements

Fast Eddie

First Grade
1. Thats not true and 2. we play half our games in Australia. But to be fair also to Cleary it's not like we have had the best halves over the years. That does make me wonder if Grant Rovelli could be your next number 7....

abpanther

Staff member
Ok Warriors fans, you've made your negative posts, now go away so we can enjoy this moment and have some positive comments made

franklin2323

Immortal
1. Thats not true and 2. we play half our games in Australia. But to be fair also to Cleary it's not like we have had the best halves over the years. That does make me wonder if Grant Rovelli could be your next number 7....
Sydney especially in Jun/jul can be just as bad. Without settled 1/2's & quality centres (The ball got spread more when Tate was there). He got you the finals. We should give him more resources (easier to get players to move to sydney then NZ). So I think it can be good what was the arguement with management over?

maple_69

Bench
Interested to hear Warriors views on him.
I hope given the intent we showed last weekend (which I'm sure was partly Gould), Penrith will play more expansive football under Cleary as well.

The main thing Cleary brings though is his development of juniors.

I probably would have been underwhelmed by the signing, but we have Gould on board to develop our coaching talent so it should be a solid signing.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Sydney especially in Jun/jul can be just as bad. Without settled 1/2's & quality centres (The ball got spread more when Tate was there). He got you the finals. We should give him more resources (easier to get players to move to sydney then NZ). So I think it can be good what was the arguement with management over?

No offense mate but your halves are Travis Burns and Luke Walsh aren't they? Thats hardly a step up. Ropati and Tate aren't quality centres? Anyway doesn't matter all that much, I doubt he will be a failure. Although uf he misses the 8 next year then the pressure should be on him big time and not get a free ride like he did over here from management.

franklin2323

Immortal
No offense mate but your halves are Travis Burns and Luke Walsh aren't they? Thats hardly a step up. Ropati and Tate aren't quality centres? Anyway doesn't matter all that much, I doubt he will be a failure. Although uf he misses the 8 next year then the pressure should be on him big time and not get a free ride like he did over here from management.

They won't be next year. 5/8th is on the shopping list. That's why I put tate in brackets. When he plays they seem to give him ball without him possibly it's the basic game plan as stated here. I would assume Jennings would get the same quality service. Only time will tell

Iafeta

Referee
Interested to hear Warriors views on him.
I hope given the intent we showed last weekend (which I'm sure was partly Gould), Penrith will play more expansive football under Cleary as well.

The main thing Cleary brings though is his development of juniors.

I probably would have been underwhelmed by the signing, but we have Gould on board to develop our coaching talent so it should be a solid signing.

It's hard to give a fair assessment as I'm still fairly peeved about the process both from Cleary, Gould and the Warriors themselves. It seems fairly ludicrous to allow a team to slide to a four game losing streak while the coach leads with a lot of confusion at the helm. To me it can't be purely coincidental with how the Warriors performed the between the byes. So I'm a little bit filthy on it all, and probably thats a little unfair, and maybe the correlation is purely coincidental but as a fan I don't like being taken for a ride.

I'd describe Cleary as a clinical coach. Very effective at building the basics into a team. He's done fairly well with a team that has been unable to attract top line halves. I think his main let down as a coach are that he can be rather monotone and bland (although I think that works well with the Warriors, given the reasons behind Daniel Anderson's demise). I think he lacks a great deal of attacking instinct, relying a lot on structure and simple completions to ends of sets of six. Generally I'd regard him as a very loyal character, sometimes overly loyal in his selections, but I think he has a great deal of respect from players for that.

As far as developing talent, I have been a fan of what he has done. Further to that though, I think the club in general has been excellent on the back of the admission of the NYC comp. Without that comp the Warriors struggled to find a mechanism to develop its talent and to tie good young prospects to the club. It seemed every time a good NZ talent was coming into the NRL it was elsewhere. I am fairly comfortable that we will get some very good players out of this strategy.

devoid

Juniors
If your forward pack want to turn it on, Cleary will do wonders at Penrith. He keeps it simple, rewards the players that work hard, and has a 26 round approach. With us he only really had Manu as a strike weapon in the backs - with Gordon, Coote, and Jennings he will every chance to show exactly how good of a coach he can be. I, like Iafeta, am disappointed how this has played out, and how it has jammed our season. I also think the good times are ahead for us, with some genuine halves and genuine speed coming through the ranks - surprised Ivan would leave now after a good slog and the players developed.

betcats

Referee
Thanks Iafeta and devoid, both good posts about your opinions on Cleary, I think if we can find a decent 6 to partner Walshy and a backrower or two that CLeary could do very well at Penrith.

maple_69

Bench
Cheers for that guys.

Do you think there'd be any creedence to the thought that Cleary might be toning down the Warriors style of play (which has traditionally been very flamboyant and off the cuff) in an attempt to make them more consistent/professional (ala Dragons/Melbourne).

Sounds like mostly positive thoughts for us, especially given we have Gould on board. Just 2/3 quality signings short of a really competitive team.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Cheers for that guys.

Do you think there'd be any creedence to the thought that Cleary might be toning down the Warriors style of play (which has traditionally been very flamboyant and off the cuff) in an attempt to make them more consistent/professional (ala Dragons/Melbourne).

Sounds like mostly positive thoughts for us, especially given we have Gould on board. Just 2/3 quality signings short of a really competitive team.

Yes to Cleary toning things down. There are positives and negatives to this, and after 6 years I feel a lot of Warriors fans have grown tired of the negatives seeing as the positives may have delivered consistency but at no stage have we really looked like winning a premiership.

As has already been said, the Panthers style/roster is better suited to the style Cleary wants to achieve success with.

Latest posts