What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

dragonreddy

Juniors
It is very hard to believe this reason for not signing for 2017 and beyond. Surely if he was keen, Cleary would have did some extra travel in 2017. I mean why even have the discussion with the Dragons when he knew it would involve either extra travel or a move.

I believe there is more to this than what is said. Maybe the terms were not suitable to Cleary e.g. Cleary wanted a bigger say in things like recruiting, pathways management and selection of his coaching staff. It is very apparent that the Board have their old boy favourites sitting very comfortable in well paid positions - the most important priority!

I think it may be just that he has worked out that he doesn't want to destroy what remaining coaching career he has by coaching us.

Cleary is an astute man ,it wouldn't take him long to work out two things ,the club is a basket case and has been for a while ,and Doust is a crusty and outdated but cunning overlord who will stop at nothing to save his own arse ,which we are currently witnessing now with the band aid solution he is trying to sell.

I reckon any coach would be a game / desperate individual to get involved with Dragons/Doust.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Someone stated on another thread that the club was going to announce something "big" after the GF.
If it has something to do with the coaching ranks then you can only assume it would involve Cleary (as his job concludes with the NRL after GF day). Cleary has stated on a few occasions that he hasn't spoken to the Dragons re: head coach role (the question put to him always goes: "have you spoken to the Dragons about coaching them in 2017?.........answer no), but I cannot remember him stating that he hasn't been approached by the Dragons in another capacity.
If he was approached to be a coaching director (IF) then it would make sense that it hasn't been advertised as such.
And, if he was appointed as a CD then it wouldn't interfere with his daughters studies whilst she completes her yr12.

All in all I'm willing to wait till next week to see what "announcements" are made, if none are forthcoming then we can move on from this thread.

grouch

First Grade
If Cleary has agreed to work alongside McGregor in any capacity, then my esteem for him has severely diminished, and I question whether he is the right person to coach this club after all.

possm

Coach
The Board has a responsibility to properly manage the affairs of the Club and to supply qualified staff and necessary funds for the football team to competitive in the NRL competition.

All of these wishy washy statements about accepting reports, learning and willing to better etc. just doesn't cut the mustard. If someone stuffs up or is found to be not up to the job it should be gonsky; no ifs or buts.

FlameThrower

Bench
Someone stated on another thread that the club was going to announce something "big" after the GF.
If it has something to do with the coaching ranks then you can only assume it would involve Cleary (as his job concludes with the NRL after GF day). Cleary has stated on a few occasions that he hasn't spoken to the Dragons re: head coach role (the question put to him always goes: "have you spoken to the Dragons about coaching them in 2017?.........answer no), but I cannot remember him stating that he hasn't been approached by the Dragons in another capacity.
If he was approached to be a coaching director (IF) then it would make sense that it hasn't been advertised as such.
And, if he was appointed as a CD then it wouldn't interfere with his daughters studies whilst she completes her yr12.

All in all I'm willing to wait till next week to see what "announcements" are made, if none are forthcoming then we can move on from this thread.
And I have a Unicorn in the backyard for sale...

dragon-83

Juniors
http://www.nospam47.com/au/league/l...ls-short-nrl/6817d6ot5da117noxp7kexzx/slide/1

NEXT
1 4
1Dragons swing in to action - minus Cleary
The Dragons have finally put together a plan of action for 2017 - but it could have been a very different story.

I’m hearing Paul McGregor only kept his job because the club made a secret approach to Ivan Cleary to take over the reins - but the former Warriors and Panthers coach knocked them back.

Last edited:

Zucchini

Juniors
If Cleary has agreed to work alongside McGregor in any capacity, then my esteem for him has severely diminished, and I question whether he is the right person to coach this club after all.
My thoughts, exactly. I tend to feel that way about our player recruitment, also. They can't be too astute. That, or they know something we don't.

Gareth67

First Grade
That article confirms our worst nightmares .
The Dragons will be having a repeat of season 2016 , unless the players themselves can rise above the abject negativity of the Clubs Board . The Board realises that Mary is out of his depth , yet " let's give him another year , just to puss-off the fans " . Lord help us , the Dragons are on the way out , and they are not marching , they are being carried out !

Who would wish to sign with the Joint Venture in 2018 , when apparently the club will have plenty of cash - no one ! Not a decent player or for that matter a half decent coach .
You could offer them the Earth , but nobody with any sense will come anywhere near this
Zoo . Shameful !

Last edited:

emu62

Juniors
Another Knock back. This time there wasn't even any competition.Absolutely disgraceful
Just shows how far this once great club has fallen

Carlton

Juniors
So we the fans know Mary can't coach, the club know he can't coach and approach Ivan Cleary who has too much common sense to take up the job. The club then don't know what to do and appoint a committee which includes the person who supposedly ran an external review, some current board members and some non rugby league people. They then keep Mary and have a coach who they feel isn't up to first grade mentored by incumbents and non sport specific help.

In the meantime they have a coach who has won three premierships in a row with different teams and was attacking coach of last years premiers sitting in their employ. But don't appoint this cheap successful coach for a year and see if he works out. Instead spend money and setup what looks like an ineffectual arrangement and keep Mary.

Of all the possibilities I don't understand how they can choose the worst option every single time. (Sorry that's not right, they did appoint Bennett).

twinkletoes

Juniors
So we the fans know Mary can't coach, the club know he can't coach and approach Ivan Cleary who has too much common sense to take up the job. The club then don't know what to do and appoint a committee which includes the person who supposedly ran an external review, some current board members and some non rugby league people. They then keep Mary and have a coach who they feel isn't up to first grade mentored by incumbents and non sport specific help.

In the meantime they have a coach who has won three premierships in a row with different teams and was attacking coach of last years premiers sitting in their employ. But don't appoint this cheap successful coach for a year and see if he works out. Instead spend money and setup what looks like an ineffectual arrangement and keep Mary.

Of all the possibilities I don't understand how they can choose the worst option every single time. (Sorry that's not right, they did appoint Bennett).

I'm suspecting (hoping) there is more to come with JD after this week

Dragons 09

Juniors
The Lurker? Seriously, how can anyone take anything he says as being anything other than reconstituted rumour mixed with his own terminology to make it sound like a scoop. His credibility is only rivaled by our impostor of a coach. These merkins know that all Dragons fans are hurting real bad at the moment and will react to just about anything and will churn out all the bullshit they can muster so is it gets liked, forwarded, re-tweeted and shared........click bait by pretend journo's. f**kcen maggots.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
The Lurker? Seriously, how can anyone take anything he says as being anything other than reconstituted rumour mixed with his own terminology to make it sound like a scoop. His credibility is only rivaled by our impostor of a coach. These merkins know that all Dragons fans are hurting real bad at the moment and will react to just about anything and will churn out all the bullshit they can muster so is it gets liked, forwarded, re-tweeted and shared........click bait by pretend journo's. f**kcen maggots.

Totally agree. I wouldn't believe anything that the lurker says.

thebigredv

First Grade
Totally agree. I wouldn't believe anything that the lurker says.

I think it makes sense though.

There will be pressure on Mary's replacement, which is a forgone conclusion. Maybe some coaches like Cleary don't back their own ability.

As fans we'd be happy to give them time, get their roster right and not expect immediate success. Instead we are not even back to square one with Mary at the helm.