What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary...Who will he coach in 2017/18?

Which club will Ivan Cleary coach next from 2017/18?

• Wests Tigers

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

• St George Illawarra Dragons

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fangs

Coach
This guy is getting linked to every club who has sacked or is about to sack their coach.

Put yourself in his shoes...who will he coach and why?

After going through hell at the Panthers I can't see him taking on the job at the Tigers. They are a complete basket case.

The Dragons are in a better position with Hunt's signing and will probably offer better cash.

The Dogs for mine are his best bet. They are have a decent roster and with a decent halfback will challenge the 8.

T-Boon

Coach
If I was Ivan Cleary, before taking the Tigers job I would tell Woods, Tedesco and Moses that at least two of you need to part ways with that scum bag manager of yours. Thats the deal.

tripster

Juniors
I recall Ivan saying in the past that his specialty (like it or not for him) is clubs during a rebuilding phase (which was the case with both the Warriors and the Panthers).

As such, I'd think he was more likely to end up at the Tigers than anywhere else.

Clifferd

Coach
Yeah f**k Todd Payton. We need a proven NRL coach, that has no connection to the players whatsoever

He can be assistant or some shit but not head

Saint Doc

Coach
Coaching merry-go-round 2018

Gone never to be seen again:
- Taylor

Shaky ground
- Mary
- Barrett
- Des

Available
- Cleary (immediate)
- Walters/Daley (2018 or post origin)
- (?Des - 2018)
- Ex coaches: Cartwright, Furner, Toovey, Potter etc
- Rookies: Garth Brennan, Demetriou, Payten etc

Clifferd

Coach
Ivan will wait for the Dogs job. He's dealt with messes before Warriors/Panthers and deserves a club who although are scummy are at least professional

You don't think dogs are in a bit of a mess also?

Their halves are pretty rubbish imo, their forwards aren't getting any younger (I only really rate klemmer and Graham anyway)

And the Morris bros are past their use by date

Tooves would be ideal for Wests. He wouldn't put up with the shit, would blow up deluxe after losses and hold them accountable.

Clifferd

Coach
Tooves would be ideal for Wests. He wouldn't put up with the shit, would blow up deluxe after losses and hold them accountable.

Only issue is he's contracted with an esl club atm, so don't think we'd be able to snare him until 2018. We need a new coach within the next 2 weeks pretty much

Anyhoo I really hope our next coach is long term not any of this "2 year stop gap coach bullshit"

Fangs

Coach
I recall Ivan saying in the past that his specialty (like it or not for him) is clubs during a rebuilding phase (which was the case with both the Warriors and the Panthers).

As such, I'd think he was more likely to end up at the Tigers than anywhere else.

Maybe he did say that.

Though if I were him my opinion probably would have changed after his exit from Penrith. Imagine working that hard only to be sacked a year after making the prelim final.

The Tigers have gutted their coaches since Sheens. And there are obvious internal issues at the club. I'd be staying away.

Was it Ricky Stuart that requested Sharks board members were sacked before he signed on to coach the club? He said something about needing more 'transparency' at the club. If that is true maybe Cleary needs to pull a similar trick.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I really don't think Cleary would pass up the tigers job because of what happened at the Panthers. That was all Gus and wasn't really because the club was rebuilding. If you want a good coach who'll get players playing to their potential, you'd throw all you could at Cleary.

Only issue is he's contracted with an esl club atm, so don't think we'd be able to snare him until 2018. We need a new coach within the next 2 weeks pretty much

Anyhoo I really hope our next coach is long term not any of this "2 year stop gap coach bullshit"

They need to take their time to make sure the next appointment is the right one, but they will certainly need to finalise it well before the year is out. The new coach will have virtually an open chequebook next year for retention and recruitment. All that will be outstanding is the purported 200K that we'll be paying to Sirro Jnr.

This will be a golden opportunity for whomever lands the job to build their side from scratch upfront, they're arguably in a better position than any other coach that has been here, with the exception of Pearce who had the same opportunity.

Fangs

Coach
I really don't think Cleary would pass up the tigers job because of what happened at the Panthers. That was all Gus and wasn't really because the club was rebuilding. If you want a good coach who'll get players playing to their potential, you'd throw all you could at Cleary.

Yeah I know at the time we were past that. But when he came to us we were a true rabble. 2012/2013 would not have been fun years. Not sure I could continually go through that same crap over and over again.

Maybe the Tigers need Brian Smith...

Clifferd

Coach
Maybe he did say that.

Though if I were him my opinion probably would have changed after his exit from Penrith. Imagine working that hard only to be sacked a year after making the prelim final.

The Tigers have gutted their coaches since Sheens. And there are obvious internal issues at the club. I'd be staying away.

Was it Ricky Stuart that requested Sharks board members were sacked before he signed on to coach the club? He said something about needing more 'transparency' at the club. If that is true maybe Cleary needs to pull a similar trick.

He recently came out and said how much he misses coaching in the NRL and that he enjoyed the challenge of rebuilding clubs (Warriors and Penrith)

judging by that, Tigers seem like a good fit

Fangs

Coach
JT and Mick Potter were definately low money coaches. I'd be surprised if they were offered decent coin. Have the Tigers really been that f**ked financially to not afford a decent NRL coach? Surely winning football games is part of their 'recipe for success' and a good coach is required to do that.

Latest posts