What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary...Who will he coach in 2017/18?

Which club will Ivan Cleary coach next from 2017/18?

• Wests Tigers

• Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

• St George Illawarra Dragons

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Funny that they didnt think to do this before the preseason...

Theyve basically just given away the year. Id be shocked if they get anywhere near the 8 this year.

I suspect they had the feelers out before JT was sacked. I know Wests are hideously unprofessional at the best of times but you wouldn't ink a deal that quickly with a coach without talking to him first.

TheFrog

Coach
Nathan has shown that he's his own man.
The Panthers should be looking at upgrading him next year. Of course if he really wants to play under Ivan the negotiations will be done over the dinner table and there's probably not much we can do about it.

Funny that they didnt think to do this before the preseason...
It looks to have been just a complete overreaction to one super-inept performance, following a semi-inept one. If the Tigers had got the hiding the Panthers took in round 1 he would have been sacked after that, you'd have to think.

You've got to give your coach more than three games, especially when one of those three games was a slashing victory.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
You reckon he would have gone if they were 3 from 3?

The results were an excuse.
The real cause is the imaginary big 4 delaying contract negotiations because their manager doesn't want them playing for JT.

JT was sacked to keep 4 players happy.

David brown

Juniors
He made the Penrith squad that is now from what was in a state that pretty much Tigers are in atm... He will drop so called star players I can guarantee it... Jennings at Penrith for example...

Rabbit toes

First Grade
He made the Penrith squad that is now from what was in a state that pretty much Tigers are in atm... He will drop so called star players I can guarantee it... Jennings at Penrith for example...
Do you think woods will get dropped or a well timed "injury"

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
RIP Ivan Cleary's coaching career.

The guy started his head coaching career at the Warriors. That's hard enough at the best of times but he did it following two years where the club had basically imploded on-field and had been mismanaged to the tune of copping a 4 point cap penalty in his first season. AND they'd lost their most iconic player in Stacey Jones. Out of all that he made the finals in 4/6 years including a GF and a semi, and would've made it 06 if not for the penalty (incurred the previous year, his 06 squad were under the cap).

I doubt he's too daunted by the Tigers.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Great news for the Tigers - Cleary has an uncanny knack for getting teams that are in trouble in the mix again

adamkungl

Immortal
The guy started his head coaching career at the Warriors. That's hard enough at the best of times but he did it following two years where the club had basically imploded on-field and had been mismanaged to the tune of copping a 4 point cap penalty in his first season. AND they'd lost their most iconic player in Stacey Jones. Out of all that he made the finals in 4/6 years including a GF and a semi, and would've made it 06 if not for the penalty (incurred the previous year, his 06 squad were under the cap).

I doubt he's too daunted by the Tigers.

Hopefully.

I don't usually dislike the Tigers but the way they've been run for the last 5 years is making me. Disgraceful on and off the field and as hard a project you could find in Rugby League right now.

betcats

Referee
Cleary will do really well for the tigers, really well as long as they let him. He did great things for the panthers but he is not a miracle worker, we finished 10th or below 3 out of his 4 years in charge of us. Like Ivan said yesterday everyone from the board down to the players have to be on board and also be ready to take a step back before they move forward. The tigers have a lot of issues, they aren't just struggling at the NRL level, they suck everywhere atm, it is going to take some time especially if the big four don't fall into line straight away.

Clifferd

Coach
I'm not expecting instant results, and it still wouldn't surprise me if we still get throttled this weekend, but what I hope to get out of this season atleast is a couple key resignings and some positive signings from other teams for next season onwards

What I should be able to expect over the next few weeks is an attitude change, I doubt the players will take Ivan lightly unlike our joke coach JT whom we just sacked. Cleary will tell all these guys as it is and put them on notice

betcats

Referee
I'm not expecting instant results, and it still wouldn't surprise me if we still get throttled this weekend, but what I hope to get out of this season atleast is a couple key resignings and some positive signings from other teams for next season onwards

What I should be able to expect over the next few weeks is an attitude change, I doubt the players will take Ivan lightly unlike our joke coach JT whom we just sacked. Cleary will tell all these guys as it is and put them on notice

Yeah that's a realistic set of expectations, a change in attitude will certainly help the on field performance. If he can get all the players on board and playing for each other as well as re-signing who he wants to then it will be a good result for the season. It will be next season when you should start seeing a real difference in the game plan and defensive structures and the year after that(assuming he re-sings and recruits well) that you should really start hoping to be competitive and pushing for the finals. It may well happen earlier but I think that's fairly reasonable.

Also the Gerard condon bloke who does the tips on talkin sport said on Friday that Mutilino is basically a done deal.

Clifferd

Coach
Yeah that's a realistic set of expectations, a change in attitude will certainly help the on field performance. If he can get all the players on board and playing for each other as well as re-signing who he wants to then it will be a good result for the season. It will be next season when you should start seeing a real difference in the game plan and defensive structures and the year after that(assuming he re-sings and recruits well) that you should really start hoping to be competitive and pushing for the finals. It may well happen earlier but I think that's fairly reasonable.

Also the Gerard condon bloke who does the tips on talkin sport said on Friday that Mutilino is basically a done deal.

Matulino is a good pick up. It was only a couple years ago he was regarded as one of the top props going around

Anyways one thing that probably won't interest you, but an indiciation our attack really isn't as bad as everyone thinks it is, it's our halves that let us down in the opp 20.

Good
1. We have actually made the 4th most meters of any team so far in 2017 despite haivng 4 losses.
2. We are 2nd for tackle breaks
3. We are 1st in the comp for offloads
4. We are 4th for Kick Return meters
5. We are 2nd for dummy half runs meaning players are keen to get into dummy half and make an effort
6. We have given up the 3rd least amount of penalties (indicating perhaps we need to give away some more on our line to help our defence)
7. Only 4 teams have had as much possession over the 5 games
8. We have played the 3 favourites for the comp which we would always have expected to loose anyway

Bad
1. We have missed the most tackles of any team in the comp
2. We have equal 2nd most erros of any team (interestingly Penrith have more and Roosters the same)
3. We are 13th for line breaks
4. 2nd last for try assists
5. We have given up more tries then any other team
6. We give away the most 7 tackle sets than any other team

Basically our attack IS good enough we just lack that finishing polish. Hopefully Cleary can rectify that