What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ja reckon the Refs like the game?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The referees are pretty good - they aren't going to get any better.
The thing to do is change the rules a bit to reduce the impact of referees.
Like for instance: the recipient of a penalty should not get to kick for touch - this is just a gift of territory (usually about 30 metres) and makes these arbitrary often erroneous decisions of the referees more influential on the game than actual plays made by players. I would prefer that on a penalty the tackle count restarts and on the first tackle play an advantage so if there is an error the penalty recipient still gets the scrum feed.
Additionally increase the ways in which the players can make momentum swinging plays for example fully legitimise stripping in a one man tackle so that there are no knock-on calls or tackle count restarts in attempting the strip (these risks are what stop players attempting to make a strip). Also attempted charge downs or intercepts (even when a knocked on) should not restart the tackle count if the dispossessed team comes back up with the ball.

Sean Fagan was onto this idea at least five years ago, possibly more. A kick for touch is just unnecessary in the era of ten metre defensive line.

At the time he suggested that it be just a simple penalty tap restart, which is something I could agree with after successful trialling.

Sean Fagan was onto this idea at least five years ago, possibly more. A kick for touch is just unnecessary in the era of ten metre defensive line.

At the time he suggested that it be just a simple penalty tap restart, which is something I could agree with after successful trialling.

Heaps of junior reps games (development squads etc) don't have kicking for touch. A penalty results in a "free" ten metres then a tap. Often times there are no touch judges and because there are so many players (often up to 30) trying to get a run they want to limit the time ball is out of play. It works a treat.

T-Boon

Coach

I am a big fan of Sean Fagan's ideas on the game. He should be on the Rugby League rules committee. Wish he still had that blog - what was it RL1908?

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
big fan of not kicking for touch (at least for offside, strip, slowing the play the ball). Only have it for fouls (high tackle, lifting, punching etc).

Knight76

Juniors
Agreed kicking for touch should be limited to foul play, not for technical and minor infringements.

For the rest give them a free 10 metres and reset the tackle count.

_snafu_

Immortal
Many ex-players do not become referees as they don't want the physical grind that goes with it. The full time NRL Referees squad train as often as the players do, and but whilst the players do weights, ball work and cardio sessions, the referees training is mostly cardio work and it is not easy. They proverbially whip you physically. A referee runs more metres per game than any player does as they are expected to be up with the play at all times. Hence very few ex-players want that level of grind.

As to why, it is highly personal. I went into it as I loved league but I was too old by the time I wanted to go into it to become a player, I was 23 at the time so I took up refereeing. I started doing Under 7s - Under 9s (we didn't have Under 6's when I started) but it was not long before I'd moved to doing U/10s thru to U/16s. In my junior league (Parramatta) you would often do 3-4 games on Saturdays (which is when the U/7s-U/15s would play) as a referee (you have volunteers as touch judges for those games as there are not enough referees to also provide touch judges due to the sheer number of game) and on Sunday you would referee 1 game and then be a touch judge in another 2-3 games (as this is when the U/16s to A Grade games would be played).

Some people become referees as they want to put something back in. Some because they played the game at junior level but weren't quite good enough. Others because a parent or sibiling did. Yes some because they are predisposed to being authority figures.

One thing all referees are aware of is that from when the player enters the "playing area", they are under his/her control. Enforcing the rules and getting the teams to play football(as opposed to say brawling/sledging each other) is part of their job. Hence if they do not do so, they will be marked poorly by their appointments board which will effect the game they get the following week and ultimately whether they are classified as "good enough" to referee during their competition's final series.

Thank you for your service.

I played the game for about 17 years, most of that in A grade. While was playing I thought about becoming a referee when I finished playing, however, my body is too damaged to put up with the rigours of refereeing.

I have a lot of respect for referees - especially after observing the shit that they go through with players and spectators.

Latest posts