What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

possm

Coach
Millward's new empire recruitment/pathways Director, makes it now near impossible fo attract a decent coach. All great coaches want to have the major say in the contents of their player squad. Under Millward it's 'here you go, I've done a great job putting your squad together, now go out and win us a GF, you've got no excuses.

possm

Coach
THE Broncos will put out the welcome mat for Cronulla’s Jack Bird next year, after a number of Brisbane players heaped praise on the NSW Origin star.

Brisbane are the hot favourites to snare the signature of Bird for 2018 and beyond, with the 22-year-old’s future expected to be finalised this week.

With Broncos halfback Ben Hunt on his way out of the club next season, the Broncos have been bidding for Bird’s services as he has the ability to play in the halves or at fullback should Darius Boyd make the switch to the No. 6 jersey.

Forward Josh McGuire on Monday lauded the talent of his possible future teammate, labelling Bird as the exact type of player the Broncos would want at Red Hill.

“He’s a really good competitor,” McGuire said.

“Every week I watch him play. He competes, he’s hard to tackle, he wants to win and people like that are who we want at this club.

“I don’t know if he is or isn’t coming, but he would be a great addition to the playing group. From all reports I’ve heard, he’s a good bloke as well.”

It is understood part of Bird’s motivation to move to the Sunshine State is the chance to work with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.

Bennett was coaching the Dragons in 2011 when Bird was in the club’s junior system.

Despite suggestions earlier this year that Bennett had “lost his aura”, Sam Thaiday said Bird’s desire to work under the super coach just proved he still had plenty of appeal for players.

“(Wayne) has definitely still got that star factor about him,” Thaiday said.

“If players that aren’t at our club and don’t know our environment still want to come up and play under Wayne Bennett, it shows he still has that draw.

“(Bird) is a fantastic young talent. He’s done some great things down at the Sharks. If he wants to come here … he will be a fantastic addition to this Broncos team.”

The Broncos trained at Logan on Monday in a bid to lift the spirits of the flood-impacted community.

Korbin Sims (foot), Corey Oates (groin) and Alex Glenn (achilles soreness) were all missing from the session, but all did recovery work back at Red Hill.

The trio are expected to be fine for Friday’s derby clash against the Titans, with the Broncos already down Ben Hunt (hamstring) for the occasion.

McGuire said while the team were disappointed to lose Hunt for the next two months, they trusted Kodi Nikorima could easily slot into the side to continue their winning form.

“You can’t replace a player like Ben Hunt but we have good depth here at the club,” McGuire said.

“We can keep on winning. That’s the good thing about our club. We’re playing with a structure at the moment that a lot of people can fit into.

“All the boys are enjoying their footy so hopefully the ride just keeps on going.”

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/jack-bird.462221/page-9

Seems like the Newcastle deal has fallen through and wait for it - the Broncos have room within their cap to sign Bird.

possm

Coach
Brisbane Broncos’ shock bid for Cronulla Sharks star Jack Bird
BRISBANE are ready to pounce with a massive offer for Cronulla star Jack Bird but Sharks coach Shane Flanagan insists the premiers can retain him.
Bird has been strongly courted by Newcastle and Parramatta in recent weeks, but the Broncos have emerged as shock favourites to secure the NSW State of Origin star’s signature.

It’s understood the Broncos have offered Bird $3.6 million deal over three years with the added lure of playing at five-eighth in 2018.

Brisbane are desperate to find a replacement for Dragons-bound Ben Hunt and are poised to entice Bird to partner Anthony Milford in the halves next season before a longer-term switch to fullback.

The deal is stronger than the one offered by battling Newcastle — believed to be $1 million a season — while Parramatta pulled out of the race this week.

While speculation is rife Bird has all but made up his mind to move north, Flanagan was confident the Sharks’ efforts to retain him would be rewarded.

“It’s progressing well — we’d like to think it’s resolved by next week,” Flanagan said on departure for his team’s Sunday grand final rematch with Melbourne.

“We would like to think that Jack is going to stay at our club.

“He’s won rookie of the year and won a grand final and played Origin all from here. So there’s only blue sky for him if he stays at the club.”

Flanagan has driven the negotiations with the 22-year-old, whose contract expires within the same two years as those of all their remaining premiership- winning stars.

The Sharks have already re-signed captain-in-waiting Wade Graham, prop Matt Prior, winger Sosaia Feki and fullback Valentine Holmes — however it’s believed the latter would have come at a big cost.

Some cap space for 2018 could be freed however if veterans Paul Gallen and Luke Lewis opt to retire, while Ben Barba also left the club over the off-season.

Bird is keen to move to a spine — halves or fullback — position to advance his NRL career, and halfback Chad Townsend is also off-contract this season.

Meanwhile Flanagan hasn’t ruled out having Josh Reynolds at the club next season, if he can’t agree to terms with Canterbury.

Reynolds and Flanagan are close and have known each other since the five- eighth’s junior days.

“Josh doesn’t know if he’s leaving the Bulldogs yet. So if Josh leaves the Bulldogs I will have a chat to him.

“He’s a quality player, he’s a competitor and we like those kinds of players at our club.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...d/news-story/f88a1ddca9247792949f21ae02680fe1

possm

Coach
Broncos join the hunt for Cronulla’s Jack Bird

Brisbane have emerged as the wildcard in the chase for Jack Bird as the Broncos ponder making the Cronulla utility part of an all-star halves pairing with Anthony Milford next season.

Bird is expected to spend the weekend mulling over his future as he weighs up whether to accept a lucrative offer from Newcastle, alluring interest from the Broncos, or remain at the Sharks and become the centrepiece in a positional reshuffle which could revolutionise the way the club plays.

In the wake of Ben Hunt’s decision to join the Dragons from 2018, it is understood Brisbane had considered putting their pursuit of a replacement on hold for 12 months before making a play for one of the Gold Coast’s young halves — Kane Elgey and Ashley Taylor — for 2019.

However, the Broncos are now considering an alternative approach, which would result in Bird playing in the halves alongside Milford as soon as next year.

It is understood Brisbane have held talks with Bird, the Broncos emerging as a genuine option for the 22-year-old as he weighs up the most significant decision of his young footballing career.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is well aware of Bird’s talents thanks to his time as coach at St George Illawarra, when the Sharks star was emerging through the Dragons system.

On paper, a partnership between Bird and Milford would rank as one of the most youthful and exciting in the competition. Even if the partnership fails to meld, the Broncos could simply move Bird to the back row or lock, and then chase a half for 2019. The club is effectively in a win-win situation.

The Broncos’ interest in Bird has come from left field. The race for Bird was expected to be down to the Sharks and Knights, the latter having made a multi-million dollar bid to make the Cronulla player part of their rebuilding process, which began with the signing of North Queensland youngster Kayln Ponga. Cronulla were so concerned about the prospect of losing Bird that they enlisted chairman Damian Keogh to help sell the club to the talented playmaker at a meeting on Thursday.

Keogh, chief executive Lyall Gorman and coach Shane Flanagan reminded Bird that he had developed into a representative player at the club and placed at risk retaining his NSW jersey by moving to the Knights, a club in the throes of a major rebuild.

The Knights had expected to receive a response from Bird yesterday afternoon but it is understood he is likely to make a call next week, allowing him to concentrate on the grand final rematch against Melbourne tomorrow before turning his attention to his future.

Bird has been offered nearly $1 million a season to move to Newcastle. The dollars are significantly greater at the Knights but the Sharks have attempted to counteract the financial gulf by pointing to the impact a departure from Cronulla could have on other aspects of his career, including representative football.

Bird made his bow in State of Origin last year and should he appear in all three games this year he would earn close to $100,000. Should he make the World Cup squad at the end of this year, he could earn an additional $50,000.

His chances of playing for NSW and Australia would be diminished if he plays in a struggling Newcastle side. The Sharks are also expected to assuage his concerns over his positional future by offering Bird the opportunity to play a more influential role in attack, potentially as a second five-eighth playing in the No 13 jersey.

The Broncos’ interest has been largely kept under wraps but The Weekend Australian was told yesterday that it is a realistic option for Bird, although it would require a significant financial sacrifice given Brisbane are unlikely to go anywhere near the tabled bid by the Knights.

The Sharks haven’t been resting on their laurels. Flanagan has spoken to Canterbury five-eighth Josh Reynolds but it is understood those talks had nothing to do with the future of five-eighth James Maloney, who has been a covert target for the Knights.

It is understood Newcastle made it clear they would be interested in Maloney if he could extricate himself from the final year of his deal with Cronulla.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...d/news-story/2b85b97cc5e6bdaffa1ecbcaa4f632c7

Millward's new empire recruitment/pathways Director, makes it now near impossible fo attract a decent coach. All great coaches want to have the major say in the contents of their player squad. Under Millward it's 'here you go, I've done a great job putting your squad together, now go out and win us a GF, you've got no excuses.
lol what a load of shit.

The fact the club has been bad for years seems to have slipped your mind.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am not sure about a halves pairing of Milford and Bird. I do not think Milford is the right halfback for Bird at 5/8. I still think Milford's best position is fullback. He has the class and ability to make it as a halfback, but I don't think that is his best position.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
While I would've welcomed Bird with open arms, the Dragons' main priority has to now be the retention of Dugan and Widdop.
However, I feel only one (Dugan) is realistically going to stay. As for Bird, I don't think he'll ever play for SGI.

possm

Coach
If Widdop wants to stay and we can do a deal with him, then why not Milford for fullback. Earlier on this year there were rumours that we were talking with Milford.

As far as Bird is concerned, if he wanted to come to the Dragons, we would have signed him by now. From what I've seen of late, he is more suited to centre and thus the reason why the Sharks play him there.

possm

Coach
lol what a load of shit.

The fact the club has been bad for years seems to have slipped your mind.
Not so, the fact that our Club has been poorly run for years is very much on my mind. I'm hoping with a WIN Corp buy in, Johnstone as chair and hopefully a management shake up, the Dragons could be on our way to years of success.