Jack Cogger signs two year deal with Bulldogs, seeking immediate release

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by Burns, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Burns

Burns Bench

Source: http://www.theherald.com.au/story/5171199/jack-cogger-signs-two-year-deal-with-bulldogs/?cs=305

"Knights halfback Jack Cogger will immediately seek a formal release from the club after signing a two-year deal with Canterbury on Tuesday.

Cogger, contracted to the Knights until the end of the season, has signed with the Bulldogs for 2019-2020 but remains hopeful the Knights will allow him to leave for Belmore early.

“Jack is leaving the Knights for the opportunity to play in the NRL which is the only reason he is going,” Cogger’s manager Michael Newton said.

“The Knights have told us they won’t be releasing him early but we will still formally apply and see how we go.

“It is not too dissimilar to how Mitchell Pearce ended up at the Knights with the Roosters allowing him to go after they signed Cooper Cronk."

~~~~~~

No reason why we should let him go immediately. We didn't get Ponga when we signed him, why should Canterbury get Cogger for 2018? Can stay as a reserve player in the event that Pearce/Lamb/Watson/(Hodko?) get injured.

Knight Vision likes this.
  2. alexwilliams_66692007

alexwilliams_66692007 Bench

Only release him early if we get Klemmer in return. Seems fair

Dave_ and Knight Vision like this.
  3. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

and a clause where he doesnt play against us in 2018

4. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

Better to wait for a trade. Im sick of the Knights being nice and getting f*cked over...

He signed the contract, so its not like this is forced labour. He can wait a year or figure out how to make an offer too sweet for the Knights to say "no"

Bring it home Knights likes this.
  5. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Only let him go if it is to our advantage, swap deal. If he stays then he should play strong and hard making his next contract even better/bigger and that could be stay or go.

6. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

I dont see too many players worth swapping from them or ones they would let go for that matter. Klemmer? no chance

7. Frederick

Frederick Moderator Staff Member

What about getting Holland back? Would net us a starting centre and a recognised goal kicker in return for a reserve grade halfback

8. mozza91

mozza91 Bench

Cogger will likely be their starting halfback if he goes. That’s worth a good First Grader at least.

9. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Holland is a possibility, originally a Knight can play any backline position and does kick goals, don't know why he left or why we let him go, not top notch but better than some we have.

10. Spot On

Spot On Coach

Geez, I reckon your're being very generous to Holland there Old Dog. Pretty sure Browny let him go and from what I've seen of him I think it was the right call.

Dave_ and Knight Vision like this.
  11. Knight Vision

Knight Vision Juniors

yep he's a fringe player. Sione would be a better centre IMO. Hopoate ? Morris ? Tolman ?

12. Burwood

Burwood Bench

If I were Cogger I would be a bit nervous about having to wait another year before joining the Bulldogs. They are the sort of club who can shuffle deck chairs to fit anybody in under their salary cap- if they aren’t performing early in 2018 there’ll be pressure on Pay and he might just go out and sign someone with more than a handful of games experience to partner Foran.

macavity likes this.
  13. Old dog

Old dog Juniors

Could be right Spot On but don't think Dogs would let anyone better go, deal is an unlikely thing to happen, we keep him or loose him.

14. Bring it home Knights

Bring it home Knights First Grade

Like has been said, i wouldn't release him unless we get a trade. If the club holds off releasing him, it wouldnt surprise me if the bulldogs bite the bullet and swap him for someone. Blooding Cogger could only be a good thing for the bulldogs as far as his development goes.

The only downside of releasing Cogger is that it will show the knights to be a club that flip flops on their word and this may lead to Lamb trying to get an early release.

15. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

Nah only release him if we get a trade in return. I would be happy to take Josh Morris off their hands in return for Cogger.

16. mozza91

mozza91 Bench

We better give him to the Dogs now otherwise Greenberg will kick us out of the comp.

17. Frederick

Nah it'll be more subtle, like getting the refs to continue the stellar job they've been doing the past few years

18. Bring it home Knights

Bring it home Knights First Grade

Good call. Ive always been one to defend the refs when it comes to being biased etc but last season was a real eye opener. ld like to think that the refs didnt go into games with a thought of being biased but something was going on, whether it be a case of them expecting us to be undisciplined or whether they were more relaxed due to limited publicity due the knights being hopeless, i dont know. Id like to think I don't partake in conformation bias when it comes to such things but the majority of 50 50 call, minus a couple of the games would go to the oppositon.

19. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

And yet we won more penalty counts than we lost, and received more penalties than gave away in total...

The more likely explanation is that the refs aren't very good at their jobs.

20. Frederick

Bill Harrigan has pretty much confirmed that the refs have tip sheets on teams and certain players