What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Hastings

I'm Sorry, Missed Jackson

• Total voters

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Apparently Tearing Manly apart in Holden Cup, I thought he was 15 or 16, and the Best Halback in his age group..
brother in law is there, Says he is Tearing manly apart in HOLDEN CUP!!

Woohoo

nrlnrl

First Grade
Think he's about 18 now as he was in Harold Matthews side 2 or 3 years ago.

Thanks for the report, just checking Twitter & saw he had a try & 3 goals ( 18-0 @ ht )

nrlnrl

First Grade
SG Ball is u18s. You have to be 17 to play U20s dumbarse

yep, and Harold Matthews is u16's

just spoke to a mate who told me Hastings is 17, played in the NSW U16 team last year & is managed by Sam Ayoub

Also saw that Jack Bird started on the interchange bench - has he been playing this year ? I know he had problems with arthritis last year & really happy to read that he's back playing again

Coffs dragon

Bench
He's the son of roosters legend halfback, Kevin Hastings. Joey Johns gave him a huge wrap last year after seeing him play in juniors.

watatank

Coach
Think he's about 18 now as he was in Harold Matthews side 2 or 3 years ago.

Thanks for the report, just checking Twitter & saw he had a try & 3 goals ( 18-0 @ ht )

He's 17 this year, I think he played Matts two years in a row

Bird was out all of last year I know that and didn't play a game for the Illawarra's SG Ball this year either well I never saw him named.

He may have been playing in the Illawarra comp again never see him named anywhere but its sure nice to see him back a very talented kid.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Jackson Hastings in action for the Dragons' U/20 side. Picture: Action Photographics

HIS father is a Roosters legend and now the Bondi-based club is trying to steal Jackson Hastings from under the nose of St George Illawarra.

Kevin "Horrie" Hastings lives in Florida these days, but his delight was obvious when word filtered through about the interest NRL clubs are showing in his son, including his former team the Roosters.

Young Jackson, who made his Holden Cup debut for the Dragons against Manly on Monday night - scoring a try and kicking five goals - is a chip off the old block.

"Jackson is tenacious, tough, aggressive and cheeky - just like his dad," Roosters recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan said.

"Kevin was a legend at the Roosters and we would love to have Jackson here. If he wants to come, we would take him with open arms.

"He can play hooker, halfback, five-eighth and fullback. He is a footballer with great versatility. Jackson ticks plenty of boxes. He is certainly a player of interest."

Even though Kevin is living in the US, he was in Jackson's thoughts when he paid tribute to his mum and dad on Monday night with a special message taped to his wrist.

Kevin was one of the tricolours' most loved figures, playing 228 first-grade games for the club between 1976 and 1987. He is often described as one of the best players never to represent Australia.

Kevin Hastings

Eastern Suburbs great Kevin Hastings about to fire the ball from the back of a scrum in a match against Canterbury. Source: The Daily Telegraph

Hastings has noted Jackson's climb up the rugby league ladder with pride and will have a say in which club his son heads to, despite being on the other side of the world.

"I am sure there are a number of clubs chasing him," Hastings said via Facebook. "Sam Ayoub is his manager and when he receives any offers he will let Jackson's mum and I know.

"We will then all discuss the situation and figure out what is best for the young man. That will also include where clubs want to play him and what opportunities he has on and off the field.

"I will tell you that he truly loves his footy and he just wants to be the best that he can be."

Russell Fairfax, a former teammate of Hastings, yesterday described the former halfback as fearless - and he says Horrie's work ethic will have rubbed off on Jackson.

"I only have great memories of 'Horrie'," Fairfax said.

"He is the epitome of a guy that had every attribute you needed, but he somehow never made rep football. It was a crying shame.

"He had the physical side, the nous, the in-built grunt. He should have played rep football.

"There was nothing he wouldn't have a go at on the field.

"He was fearless and took everything as a challenge.

"If Jackson has some of the same traits as his old man, he will be a success. Kevin did all the fitness work and I have no doubt that would have rubbed off on his son.

"There wasn't anything or anyone Kevin wouldn't attempt to tackle."

The Roosters yesterday also re-signed Daniel Mortimer to a new two-year deal.

"I feel so comfortable here at the Roosters," Mortimer said. "I'm really enjoying being part of the team and have made some great friends here, on and off the field.

"The club has been great to me. I know my role and I'm learning so much.

"That's a big part of the reason I really wanted to stay. I'm excited that I'll continue to represent the Roosters for a further two years."

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...-horrie-hastings/story-e6frexr9-1226637068567

dragonv

Juniors
Cummins, Quinlan, Hastings...they'll all end up elsewhere. I was joking about Ben Kusto for halfback but now I am actually considering it.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Get your mate to verify with Jackson that he has signed on for the Roosters 2014 & 2015 :D.

only if he gets a commission

Peter O'Sullivan doesn't miss out on many of the best young players, have you heard that Jackson will be playing for the Roosters as early as next year or just speculating ? If / when he goes to the Roosters, is the plan to develop him in under 20's ?

With Tuivasa-Sheck apparently the successor to Anthony Minichiello, where would Hastings play ? The Roosters seem to have fullback, halves & hooker covered with young players. What's his best position ?

Any others the Roosters are signing ?

Last edited:

rainman44

Bench
only if he gets a commission

Peter O'Sullivan doesn't miss out on many of the best young players, have you heard that Jackson will be playing for the Roosters as early as next year or just speculating ? If / when he goes to the Roosters, is the plan to develop him in under 20's ?

With Tuivasa-Sheck apparently the successor to Anthony Minichiello, where would Hastings play ? The Roosters seem to have fullback, halves & hooker covered with young players. What's his best position ?

Any others the Roosters are signing ?
He doesnt miss many because he is a shonky man that can play the game with player managers $$$$$$$. I will leave it at that.

hermidale1

Juniors
I would say the Dragons will do their best to hang onto Jackson Hastings. He would be a high priority. He's been in the Illawarra junior system for a while and I doubt the Dragons have intentions of letting him slip away. He is one of a handful of young players about to hit the 20's. A very very good group which will be the up and coming stars. Peter O'Sullivan doesn't miss a beat and he has is eye on quite a few of our juniors, being an old Dragons junior himself, I would say he has plenty of contacts floating around. Add to this, the Roosters don't really develop many of their own juniors. Look at their SG Ball squad. Many imports in there. Now look at the Dragons, St.George and Illawarra SG Ball. Plenty of good local juniors.

Godz Illa

Coach
Off topic, but:
It's an embarrassment to the NRL that Peter O'Sullivan is still involved in the game in any capacity. As one of the key players, an architect even, in the Melbourne cap cheating disgrace, he should be in exile with Waldron.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I recall Father Ted making a ton of posts in early 2012 about Jackson Hastings. He was virtually screaming from the roof tops that we should lock him up asap.

Father even had a nickname picked out for him, "Battle".

18 months later and we still haven't signed him.
Craig Young or Doustie should drop their Latte's and sign young Hastings NOW
THE latest son of a gun, Jackson Hastings, has impeccable bloodlines on both sides.

The 16-year-old's dad is Roosters legend Kevin Hastings and his mother Megan plays women's rugby league.

After starring for Illawarra's Harold Matthews Cup team, Hastings has made the open-age NSW Schoolboys team three years ahead of time.

And he's done it without the pressure of his father's presence, with Kevin being based in Florida for the past decade.

But the kid is not short on mentors. In Melbourne for the under-16s curtain-raiser, he spent more than an hour picking the brain of Blues hooker Robbie Farah.

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/captains-lose-faith-in-garnsey/story-e6frfgbo-1226377797429

For me this is the acid test of our CEO . I can wait a year or two for success even three . BUT I can't watch great young talent go to other clubs uncontested .
If we don't sign this young halfback Talent who is a local junior then Teflons buddies on this forum better explain to me what we in fact are trying to achieve .
If you do sign him SOON . I'll , I'll , I'll write something nice about you. Sign Battle now.

jenninga

First Grade
I recall Father Ted making a ton of posts in early 2012 about Jackson Hastings. He was virtually screaming from the roof tops that we should lock him up asap.

Father even had a nickname picked out for him, "Battle".

18 months later and we still haven't signed him.
A Dragons board member was talking to me about him last year,hopefully on the clubs radar.

Latest posts