What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jacksonville T-Mobile Axemen Website

spinnerhowland

Juniors
It is with pirde, and very tired and sore eyes, that we announce the release of the Jacksonville T-Mobile Axemen website.
THere are a few things to finalize as we finish player selection and tie up our last sponsors but feel free to visit
www.jaxaxe.com
at any time.

roopy

Referee
Another great step forward by the axemen.
I can't see them making a huge impact in their first year with their lack of experience in the game - but they will certainly be a team to be reckoned with in future years.

roopy

Referee
spinnerhowland said:
Actually Roopy, I honestly think we can win our first 2 games.
I am shooting for the first rond of playoffs this season.
I can see you having a very strong home ground advantage, with many sides not being able to bring their top squads amongst all the usual factors (travel, etc).

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I have a almost our best team to travel to DC for our first game and I know we will have a good showing against the "Rays" the next weekend.
The Bulls however are travelling with their best team and have already booked flight and hotels and are going to make a trip of it. All their players are fighting to get on the team for the game.
If we can finish 3 or 4 on the Conferance we should make the play offs.

Tomahawk

Staff member
spinnerhowland said:
The Bulls however are travelling with their best team and have already booked flight and hotels and are going to make a trip of it. All their players are fighting to get on the team for the game.
If we can finish 3 or 4 on the Conferance we should make the play offs.

The Falcon, the Chief, Woody, Bucko, and the Franchise are 5 definetes. And then expect anywere from 3 to 5 of thier 6 rookie players to make the trip.

However, the Bulls will have 2 of their starters that are unable to make the trip.

yankeerugger

Juniors
great site... will be neat to look at/follow when it is all filled out and running.

Clicked on the link for why RL is different from RU....

Is it just me or would most of these hits be illegal "shoulder charges" or "high tackles" in RU? From the looks of most of these hits, the offender in a standard RU match would be 'sin binned' for 10 minutes, or red carded for the second offence, AND face disiplinary charges for reckless play following the match with a lengthy ban.

Are you required to wrap up in tackles in League, or are you allowed to simply run over people (with no attempt to wrap up) as they do in American football? I'm not attempting to rile people, up, just asking for further information.

roopy

Referee
yankeerugger said:
great site... will be neat to look at/follow when it is all filled out and running.

Clicked on the link for why RL is different from RU....

Is it just me or would most of these hits be illegal "shoulder charges" or "high tackles" in RU? From the looks of most of these hits, the offender in a standard RU match would be 'sin binned' for 10 minutes, or red carded for the second offence, AND face disiplinary charges for reckless play following the match with a lengthy ban.

Are you required to wrap up in tackles in League, or are you allowed to simply run over people (with no attempt to wrap up) as they do in American football? I'm not attempting to rile people, up, just asking for further information.
The shoulder charge is legitimate in League (some players build a career around a good shoulder charge technique) - high tackles are outside the rules.

yankeerugger

Juniors
That is too bad that the shoulder charge is legal in League....

One of the selling points for teaching <19 kids union is that "only perfect form tackles are allowed... any tackly in which you don't 'wrap up', is penalized".... for all american football payers, this is the one universal thing their coaches are always harping on is "form tackling", "wrap up", "if you don't use your arms, I'll cut them off and give them to someone that will use them!".....

As far as the history of this law.... has league always been this way, and union always the other? or did one of them just recently switch?

Thanks for the input.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
League has always allowed shoulder charges. To be honest most tackles are wrap tackles as you are always looking to smoother the ball as off loads in league as always a danger. However the shoulder charge is a GREAT tool and should never be removed. It allows a defender the same position as an attacking player. When times right a shoulder charge can be a great weapon against persistant "charging" runners. It is also great for fans. It brings them to their feet and no matter how you but it, sport is a product, and anything that is within the rules that can create fan excitement should be left alone.
It is great to say we have great techique but without excitement, action, big hits and some true grit, fans will not pay to see our sport and therefore sposnors will not grant deals. The answer is by looking at the videeos floating around the internet. They are not video of "nice technical tackles" or of "perfectly formed scrum" they are big hits, fast collisions, smart plays and the like. Why? Because even people who have no idea what they are watching still find in entertaining.

deluded pom?

Coach
As Spinner said if used correctly the shoulder charge is a great tool . There aren't many better sights than seeing one of your forwards barrel an attacker to the floor with one big hit . But then again it's also great when one of your forwards carrying the ball bounces a would be charger off as if he was a rag doll .

Play some footy

Juniors
That's funny to hear a rah rah guy talking about tackling technique. I don't think Union makes as many tackles in a whole season as league does in a game.

deluded pom?

Coach
He's not solely a rah rah fan,yankeerugger obviously appreciates league too or he wouldn't be posting on here in a positive manner .

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I agree, the less of a split there is between and fans and supporters of each code the better of both will be.
Here in the USA we play League and Union in seasons that don't over lap. We can offer fans one code or the other year round.

Tomahawk

Staff member
deluded pom? said:
As Spinner said if used correctly the shoulder charge is a great tool . There aren't many better sights than seeing one of your forwards barrel an attacker to the floor with one big hit . But then again it's also great when one of your forwards carrying the ball bounces a would be charger off as if he was a rag doll .

Joe Becker for the Bulls did this very well last year.

yankeerugger

Juniors
thanks for the input...

the pom is correct, I am a "duel code" rugby fan, and love both games. As I have played and coached, and watched MUCH more Union, I am naturally more familiar with it's laws. I am simply asking questions honestly about league so that I can better understand this code of rugby that I love so much.

As he said, if I didn't appreciate it, I would not be asking questions (on another thread on this page) about starting a youth league program!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
yankeerugger said:
That is too bad that the shoulder charge is legal in League....

One of the selling points for teaching <19 kids union is that "only perfect form tackles are allowed... any tackly in which you don't 'wrap up', is penalized".... for all american football payers, this is the one universal thing their coaches are always harping on is "form tackling", "wrap up", "if you don't use your arms, I'll cut them off and give them to someone that will use them!".....

I wouldn't be too discouraged by the rule man.

Shoulder charges are legal, as long as no part of the body makes initial contact with the head.

That said, they are not prolific... if you mistime them you look like a goose and probably cost your team at least 5 metres. Kids are always instructed the importance of "wrapping" tackles as the primary skill in defence.

It's not until the team orientation of defence in later years (and I doubt anyone would have the technical knowledge in the USA anyway) that any relaxing of 1-on-1 defence skills takes place.

yankeerugger

Juniors
thanks for that explenation... sounds much like gridiron football then.

"form tackling" is taught and coached, but if you 'flatten the guy', you are complemented, but if you miss the tackle while trying to shoulder charge, you get lectured for sloppy tackling.... (is good if it workds)...

Thanks

Latest posts