What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field contender for halfback spot

BennyV

Referee
BennyV, I did not say he wanted to leave if he didn't get a FG jersey straight away, so I hope you're not saying I'm a fool. How would I know what he wants?

Just offering my opinion in regards to BrissyRedV comment about Field being 'locked in long term', which suggests we have all the time in the world to ease him in with no fear of him leaving. If other clubs are offering better or he doesn't like playing second fiddle to McCrone, Mann, Nonna etc then his 'level head' may look elsewhere without prompting from his Manager.

His asking price is already higher than when he signed and I'm pretty sure all parties have get out clauses for a host of reasons, such as earning capacity, family and other compassionate reasons.

It's not 'hysteria, ridicoulos or foolish' to suggest an opinion that you don't like.

In any case, all I've suggested is that he's given a risky opportunity now in FG, becuase he is a rare talent we haven't seen in many long years and I don't believe he needs any more time outside of FG to develop.

Just my opinion, just don't bag people for their opinions.
To be fair, I never said you were a fool! Just that a fool would think he wants to leave!

However, drawing comparisons to Tallis is a bit hysterical!

His asking price might be a bit higher, at most, but wont be by much, as most clubs understand that 1 season in NYC and a couple of decent games in the 9s doesnt come anywhere near guaranteeing success in the big show.

And rare talents we havent seen in many years? Come on man - I'm as excited by Field as anyone (his career long term, that is) but TBH I'm expecting more success from the likes of Host, Herbert and even Dufty.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
To be fair, I never said you were a fool! Just that a fool would think he wants to leave!

However, drawing comparisons to Tallis is a bit hysterical!

His asking price might be a bit higher, at most, but wont be by much, as most clubs understand that 1 season in NYC and a couple of decent games in the 9s doesnt come anywhere near guaranteeing success in the big show.

And rare talents we havent seen in many years? Come on man - I'm as excited by Field as anyone (his career long term, that is) but TBH I'm expecting more success from the likes of Host, Herbert and even Dufty.

The last thing I want to see is a young Field being rag-dolled by some boof-head, so several games, if not more in the Cutters will only help his career long term and he's a pretty level-headed lad and understands the process that needs to happen. He will play 1st Grade and that will be at the Dragons for sure. Plus given his "boost" in profile and status it wouldn't surprise me if moves were already underway to lock him in.....one would think!
Besides the 3 others you mentioned, I would include Garrick, Lawrie and Robson as well. Like you, I think Herbert is going to be a special talent and is one we need to lock up sooner than later. I would also throw in young Sailor, Z Lomax and Steve Marsters who by all reports could be anything.
The future seems to be in safe, albeit, young hands, it's just making sure they are nurtured and locked up with us when needed.

Crush

Coach
Well I agree with that. During the rep period and maybe in the last few games of the season in the likely event we are out of finals contention.
Why is it better to debut a young kid in the top grade only when the season is gone and the team is dejected and out of contention? I don't understand that logic. I say either give him a run early on when everyone is playing to make the finals or don't play him at all this year. And if they do decide to roll the dice with field then give him a proper go and don't panic when he has a bad game or two like the mann at fb experiment last year.

Glenn01

Juniors
Why is it better to debut a young kid in the top grade only when the season is gone and the team is dejected and out of contention? I don't understand that logic. I say either give him a run early on when everyone is playing to make the finals or don't play him at all this year. And if they do decide to roll the dice with field then give him a proper go and don't panic when he has a bad game or two like the mann at fb experiment last year.
I think because there is no pressure and if he screws up, no real harm done.

BennyV

Referee
The season is already gone, that happened as soon as they announced that Mary would be retained.

As for Field - because ultimately it is better for his development to step him through slowly. Ideally, his exposure to first grade this season should be a handful of games covering for injury or off the bench; he will gain a lot more playing long term in NSW Cup, getting another full pre-season under his belt and then battling with Mann for the 6 jersey next year.

Crush

Coach
The season is already gone, that happened as soon as they announced that Mary would be retained.

As for Field - because ultimately it is better for his development to step him through slowly. Ideally, his exposure to first grade this season should be a handful of games covering for injury or off the bench; he will gain a lot more playing long term in NSW Cup, getting another full pre-season under his belt and then battling with Mann for the 6 jersey next year.
Ok, what if the season wasn't already gone? What if we had the exact same squad but had a new coach? Do you still take the safe approach with field knowing that he could just be the difference between an average season and a very good one?

BennyV

Referee
Ok, what if the season wasn't already gone? What if we had the exact same squad but had a new coach? Do you still take the safe approach with field knowing that he could just be the difference between an average season and a very good one?
Hard to say, that's a big 'what if' and dealing with what if's doesnt really mean anything. But given the same squad, new coach, I'd still probably want him to work his way through. Looking at the way Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler have done the same with Munster/Croft, Nikorima and Mbye respectively sort of adds some weight to that theory.

The only 'what if' I think would be worth throwing Field into the deep end is if we had no other halves options, but we do. In fact, we have a very classy, first-grade hardened half option who has paid his dues, worked his way into the squad and has a skillset that meets our needs (very good ball runner, decent kicking game, excellent ball playing skills) in Kurt Mann who, at this stage of their respective careers, is more suited to the 7 role than Field, so I can't see any possible reason to hastily throw Field in Round 1.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Hard to say, that's a big 'what if' and dealing with what if's doesnt really mean anything. But given the same squad, new coach, I'd still probably want him to work his way through. Looking at the way Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler have done the same with Munster/Croft, Nikorima and Mbye respectively sort of adds some weight to that theory.

The only 'what if' I think would be worth throwing Field into the deep end is if we had no other halves options, but we do. In fact, we have a very classy, first-grade hardened half option who has paid his dues, worked his way into the squad and has a skillset that meets our needs (very good ball runner, decent kicking game, excellent ball playing skills) in Kurt Mann who, at this stage of their respective careers, is more suited to the 7 role than Field, so I can't see any possible reason to hastily throw Field in Round 1.
Agree 100%. Regardless of coach, it's a risk thrusting a young under physically developed player into 1sts and there is NO guarantee that he will be successful in any case. Mann is our best option to start the season both in physicality and maturity.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I don't believe for one second that Field has the physicality to withstand 80minutes of first grade footy week in, week out for 26 rounds.

Would much prefer see him come off the bench maybe last 10mins of each half ala Nikorima or how QLD have used Cronk/DCE/Morgan in the 14 jumper over the years as they blood them into the fulltime position.

BennyV

Referee
I don't believe for one second that Field has the physicality to withstand 80minutes of first grade footy week in, week out for 26 rounds.

Would much prefer see him come off the bench maybe last 10mins of each half ala Nikorima or how QLD have used Cronk/DCE/Morgan in the 14 jumper over the years as they blood them into the fulltime position.
I agree, although for developments sake he'd be better off spending half a season with Cutters first. Only playing 20mins a game wont do much for his match fitness.

In saying that, I've been of the opinion that we should have been blooding youngsters like this for years. Even reaching back to Crook, Hastings, Bird. Even Dufty should have finished last year in NSW Cup so that he could be ready for this sort of treatment this year.

giboz71

First Grade
Field is looking more and more like a fullback the more I see of him. Potentially like a Morgan who can switch between the 2.

I know all the wraps have been on Dufty at FB, but Field at FB could allow us to put Mann at 5/8 who with Hunt could be a very good halves combination.

possm

Coach
Field is looking more and more like a fullback the more I see of him. Potentially like a Morgan who can switch between the 2.

I know all the wraps have been on Dufty at FB, but Field at FB could allow us to put Mann at 5/8 who with Hunt could be a very good halves combination.
So give Field a run at fullback until Dufty is fit enough to have a crack. Then maybe rotate Field and Dufty between first grade and Cutters in 2017.

giboz71

First Grade
It's an interesting option Field at FB. I do worry about his size but he seems to defend quite soundly.

Just with the interchange rules, those small zippy fullbacks might be all the rage again. French at Parra I think is in for a big year.

I know we've been grooming Dufty, but Field might just be a better version of what we're looking for. And will give us the option to keep Mann in the halves.

Glenn01

Juniors
It's an interesting option Field at FB. I do worry about his size but he seems to defend quite soundly.

Just with the interchange rules, those small zippy fullbacks might be all the rage again. French at Parra I think is in for a big year.

I know we've been grooming Dufty, but Field might just be a better version of what we're looking for. And will give us the option to keep Mann in the halves.
I could be wrong as I don't follow Parra closely but I believe French is a few years older and several kgs heavier than Field.

BennyV

Referee

We shouldnt be saying things like 'gives the option to keep Mann in the halves'. If Mann turns out to be our best option at 6, he gets the jersey, regardless of what happens behind him with Field and Dufty.

With respect to fullback, Dufty still offers a hell of a lot in terms of speed, agility and ball playing but I think Field may pip him in terms of support play and kicking. I'm not sure which of them would be a better option and it would be a great experiment to watch in reserve grade this year. However, you've also gotta take many of the other aspects of fullback play into account - which of them has better instincts in defence? One of one defence? Positional play? Ability under the high ball? CLean up work? Kick returns? All things that would need to be accounted for.

Crush

Coach

I would be very happy with that approach if mann was to be handed the number 7 jersey for the season. But I have a terrible fear that if it isn't field it will be mccrone and whilst I understand and know 100 per cent that what you say about field needing time is true I just cannot get excited about mccrone. For purely selfish reasons I would rather field at 7 from round 1 than mccrone.

BennyV

Referee
I would be very happy with that approach if mann was to be handed the number 7 jersey for the season. But I have a terrible fear that if it isn't field it will be mccrone and whilst I understand and know 100 per cent that what you say about field needing time is true I just cannot get excited about mccrone. For purely selfish reasons I would rather field at 7 from round 1 than mccrone.
Look if it was Field or McCrone, I'd probably go that way.

But I'm not scared about seeing McCrone named at 7 for round 1. I've accepted it as an inevitability. Makes the whole thing hurt less.

DamoV

Juniors
The elevation of Dufty and Field need not and should not be rushed:

Phase 1: Cutter's with Field in the halves and Dufty at the back
Backline: Mann, McD, Aitken, Dugan, Nighty, Widdop, Nona (Havilli bench)

Phase 2: First exposure, off the bench, last 10mins of each half rest McInnes, and you have the option of putting either of them at fullback and putting Mann in the halves, OR put them straight in the halves.

Phase 3: if they've proven themselves worthy, and best option, by the end of the year they start in their respective position in firsts.

giboz71

First Grade
We shouldnt be saying things like 'gives the option to keep Mann in the halves'. If Mann turns out to be our best option at 6, he gets the jersey, regardless of what happens behind him with Field and Dufty.

With respect to fullback, Dufty still offers a hell of a lot in terms of speed, agility and ball playing but I think Field may pip him in terms of support play and kicking. I'm not sure which of them would be a better option and it would be a great experiment to watch in reserve grade this year. However, you've also gotta take many of the other aspects of fullback play into account - which of them has better instincts in defence? One of one defence? Positional play? Ability under the high ball? CLean up work? Kick returns? All things that would need to be accounted for.

Agreed. But as it stands, Mann doesn't have a guaranteed start in the side. Nene's been brought in to play wing, Aitken has a centre spot locked up given his new deal, and we still have Milne and Lafai to fight it out for the other centre spot. Dugan as well is likey a centre option.

From all reports, McCrone and Field are the front runners to play alongside Widdop in the halves. Seems Mann is likely going to miss out?

I haven't seen enough of Dufty to make an assessment . But Fields support play from the highlights against the Tigers has fullback stamped all over him. And Mann looked pretty good in the halves. I just think the confidence he gained last year scoring plenty of tries on the wing, Mann is likely to rise to the next level this year. He needs to be in the side somewhere. And 5/8 is likely his best position.

But at the same time, Field is such a rare talent, he needs to be there too. With Dufty being injured, Field may just sneak in ahead of him in the fullback pecking order.

Lethal25

Juniors
I think because there is no pressure and if he screws up, no real harm done.
Just my opinion but the best way to learn is from your mistakes and when under pressure

Understand it may prove too much for a 19 year old but if you're good enough you're old enough