What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

Crush

Coach
I like the look of him .. I think that he would be a traditional style 5/8 popping up outside a half on either side of the field. He looks like he wants to go looking for the ball and run it. I think he would actually compliment McCrone quite well. McCrone will move the pack around and will give the ball in decent time/space to Field.

I think though that the pace of the game found field out and he was belted quite frequently. he was great in getting up and did find some space at times. I like the idea of 4 rounds in the cutters. They will belt him but the game being a little slower is a good step between the touch footy of the 20s and the rigour of 1st grade.

Round 5 my spine would be Dugan/Field/McCrone/McInnes and Havili on the bench. Widdop can please f**k off.
I wish. Widdop won't be going anywhere though. Its the dragons.

Buz-V

Juniors
Just a question... Who would kick goals without Widdop on the field? Also who will kick goals next year if Widdop is not resigned?
I might be mistaken but I dont think we have a decent kicker.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
The problem is Widdop. He is a support player only to a dominant half. IMO he is surplus to our requirements but because of his 'status' can't be dropped.
That's a real shame!
The best solution for me would be to have Mann and Mcrone for maybe half a season with Field playing in Cutters similar to how Penrith treated Cleary.
When the time comes and Field's performances in Cutters demand he be promoted, drop Mcrone and have Field/Mann.
As for Widdop... who cares he has completely lost me.

I care - he is ruining my football team!
And your point about his 'status' is spot on however I wonder what a Phil Gould or a Wayne Bennett may have done by now ie people who have a higher status.

Buz-V

Juniors
does it matter they can't even score tries.
Haha. Well I dont rate Widdop as a kicker anyway tbh. He has his good days but I never feel comfortable when he lines them up.
Guess the point I'm making is there is a lot of talk of not having him in the side but being Captain and the only goal kicker other than a rookie it's not going to happen.
Maybe Hunt being a goal kicker is a bit of a hint Widdop is gone next year and they new they were also covering that role aswell.

JDHD

Juniors
Give the kid a chance and hand him the starting no 7 for season. He would handle it frizzell could cover him in defense and widdop can have his last season in no 6. Field could be our next slippery morris and will be ready for next year when ben hunt arrives with a full season in the nrl.

That's unfair on Frizell or whoever is his bodyguard. Plus if it is Frizell, then that's sapping energy from one of our most potent attacking weapons. I don't know why everyone's so keen to rush in a 78kg teenager. Give him a month in reggies, playing against men, and if he can't handle it, then we know he can't handle first grade. If he's blitzes it, bring him in around round 5 or 6.

JDHD

Juniors
Field and Hunt both kick ... Field 15 tries and 76 goals in holden cup last year
Field was the 2nd leading point scorer overall

The point scoring ladder from the 20s last year is a bit misleading because Nathan Cleary came third and he only played ten rounds.

watatank

Coach
To be fair, there was probably a focus to have things happen around widdop and dugan...but i don't think field did all that much and was well contained. He didnt get the space to do his thing and wont get that too much if he continues to play in the halves. His kicking game doesnt seem too reliable. He still looks more suited to fullback and would benefit from playing there in first grade, regardless of the options we have there or dont have in the halves

since77

Juniors
Just a question... Who would kick goals without Widdop on the field? Also who will kick goals next year if Widdop is not resigned?
I might be mistaken but I dont think we have a decent kicker.

Minor issue - Widdop's a very ordinary goal kicker anyway. Providing Field is ready, he can kick.

BennyV

Referee
To be fair, there was probably a focus to have things happen around widdop and dugan...but i don't think field did all that much and was well contained. He didnt get the space to do his thing and wont get that too much if he continues to play in the halves. His kicking game doesnt seem too reliable. He still looks more suited to fullback and would benefit from playing there in first grade, regardless of the options we have there or dont have in the halves
From a purely attacking point of view, maybe. However, he'd need some intense training there to pick up things like positional awareness, one-on-one and cover defense, catching high kicks under pressure, etc. Dugan would be very handy as a mentor when it comes to that, but it's no more advantageous to go through all that than it would be to slightly adjust our style of play to suit him as a 5/8.

He was definitely well contained - as I said, Souths did his homework and jammed in on him whenever he tried to skip to the outside of his opposite defender. His time with Cutters will be beneficial as it will (hopefully) allow him to develop a few more options to his attacking game that will help him at 5/8. At the moment, I firmly believe that Mann is the better option for first grade.

betcats

Referee
The point scoring ladder from the 20s last year is a bit misleading because Nathan Cleary came third and he only played ten rounds.

It's because he was kicking goals for a team that was scoring 40 or 50 every week and he is a very good goal kicker. Probably got a few tries as well. Fairly certain he kicked 11 or 12 from 12 one round.

Vinnie

Juniors
Ummm finding a kicker is great ! But i think that finding a way to score tries is more important dont need a good kicker much if we aren't scoring tries. So really lets go with the best combination who will play whats in front of them, be unpredictable when required and set up and score some tries.

possm

Coach
Field received very little ball during his stint in the CC. In attack he was standing very short - probably as per Mary's game plan - and was pounced on each time he took the ball.

If Field is to play in the halves it would be at 6; as a running five-eighth. A game plan which consisted of him receiving the ball while standing deeper and which had him following forwards who knew to off-load to him wuld be much more effective. Field also has a good kicking game and a good passing game. His speed is without question and there is no one in the current 17 quicker than Field.

dragons girl

Juniors
Probably used wrongly (as usual) i would have played him from the start when everyone still feeling their way and adapting, given him more ball and a license to roam, created space for him (not sure if they know how to do that) Try to force the lead and play from in front, then bring Mcrone on with his so called experience to settle the ship and hold the lead but hey what do i know.
I still think let him play blood him and get him used to first grade. I would let Widdop go and settle for Hunt/Field as our halves could be a deadly combination. But field needs experience and game time and now's the time to do it, because really we haven't got anything else !!!
Agree Field will not learn if he is not given a go.Sure he will make mistakes.He will be better for the run in FG if he is given the chance.We have Frizell and Thompson who can protect him in defence.We have not had a running half or 5/8 for a long time.From memory when Field did get the ball in the CS he did take the line on a few times.Although he got hammered at least he was trying something different running straight instead of sideways.Come on Mary give Jai a go.