What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake Marketo

Smurf

Juniors
Team announced.
Yes - Maketo there - I presume to play the first 20 minutes !!
Oh and Lafai returns
Happy days - I am now going to cry .

injury toll
Packer
Havili
Glymin
Quinlan
Lui
McCarthy
Sims
Mose
Creagh
Farrell

Suspended
Milne

Rested
Marshall

Says it all really.

emu62

Juniors
Question, mainly directed at O.T. (because he coached) but anyone's opinion welcome
Reecce Robson, I know he is only 17 but i think he has a huge future Would it be beneficial to his development to throw him into 1st grade for say 20 minutes , so he has an idea as what to expect? or is it too early? I believe now would be a great time

To early imo.

Its his first season in the NYC straight out of the SG Ball.

I have to say having him and Cooper Purcell some very good young talented dummy halves and I even like what Allouche brings to the team.

Old Timer

Coach
Question, mainly directed at O.T. (because he coached) but anyone's opinion welcome
Reecce Robson, I know he is only 17 but i think he has a huge future Would it be beneficial to his development to throw him into 1st grade for say 20 minutes , so he has an idea as what to expect? or is it too early? I believe now would be a great time
Our club has always erred on too late rather than too early.
Some youngsters can handle it to a degree and others flounder.
10 minutes either side of half time would seem logical if they were going to do it on the proviso that we aren't getting smashed at the time he goes on.
Mary stuffed up the timing last game with Leilua so no good of sending them on when it is a lost cause as they can achieve little but lose a lot.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sorry, but far too early. I've seen him play quite a bit in NYSC & in schoolboys games. He looks a very promising player but, he needs another year or 2 in under 20's & then a year in NSW Cup. It's only the rare forwards who make it into the NRL in their teens or even before 22. It's much easier for backs, especially wingers, centres & fullbacks to make this transition.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Please don't shoot me, only the messenger. It's hard to understand why, but Jake Marketo has been re-signed for another year. He gives 100% effort, but we need more than that in the NRL team. He's a solid backup utility for depth over the season for injuries, suspensions & when rep players are unavailable.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Leilua has already proved he can handle first grade , I believe with a pre season under his belt he will be ready to go next year.Sign him now on a 3year deal if thats what he wants as he has the potential to be a gun.

Minh

First Grade
Us losing has nothing to do with Marketo, if you watch him play closely he does a lot of good things with and without the ball. For a player that would be on close to the minimum salary he's a great team player, not a superstar but a very solid player. Did anybody see his tackle on a charging Dylan Nappa in the first half chopped him down when he looked certain to score one metre out.

BennyV

Referee
Us losing has nothing to do with Marketo, if you watch him play closely he does a lot of good things with and without the ball. For a player that would be on close to the minimum salary he's a great team player, not a superstar but a very solid player. Did anybody see his tackle on a charging Dylan Nappa in the first half chopped him down when he looked certain to score one metre out.
Disagree. Not a shot at Jake himself, but his re-signing is a real indication of where the club is at. He is a toiler who offers absolutely nothing in attack and slightly over nothing in defense. No other club would have him in their top squad, let alone in their starting 17. We have PLENTY of depth in the backrow that is far superior to him, and if he's being signed as a 9 then we are truly destined for the spoon next year. Fact is, he is being signed on the back of being a local boy and family friends with McGregor. That's it. His spot in the squad to go to any number of juniors with plenty more upside than him. Why has he been in the 17 all year over someone like Sele? We should be grabbing whoever in the Cutters or NYC squad isn't unsigned and holds their own, and we'd be better off.

The fact that we are signing blokes who offer nothing due to 'effort', 'heart' and 'won't let us down' is embarrassing. There's a million reserve grade players who won't let us down. Doesn't mean we should be signing them.

On top of that, this is the biggest indication that Mary will 100% be coaching us next year, because no other coach would bother with Marketo.

I'm sure Jake's a lovely bloke. He does try, but he wasn't meant to be a first grade footballer. He's done very well to play the games he is. But after 5 years of complete shit, I'm sick of being the f**king club that hands out contracts based on attitude and not ability. When are we going to go back to being the club who wins?

Carlton

Juniors
Please don't shoot me, only the messenger. It's hard to understand why, but Jake Marketo has been re-signed for another year. He gives 100% effort, but we need more than that in the NRL team. He's a solid backup utility for depth over the season for injuries, suspensions & when rep players are unavailable.
Why?
If its to start - who for? please don't tell me its to play dummy half.
If its off the bench - no impact.
If its to be depth - just mucked up a spot for the young guys coming through.

Our problem is dummy half and the halves, yet we still don't seem to have a strategy to address this. Bid for established players, don't bid for others (eg. Peats), run with stop gap solutions biding our time for what?, look to the juniors but stuff around and don't sign the ones with talent in a timely manner (eg. Leilua).

The core problem is there is no plan, we don't have a roadmap of how we are going to fix these issues. The approach seems to be purely reactionary.

Uplifting

Juniors
Others have got resigned who might not offer much more than Jake does. Jake Marketo wouldn't be on top dollar and can play dummy half. Might be justifiable as a 'depth signing'.

Lethal25

Juniors
I'm ok with Marketo signing as long as it's on close to base wage and it then affords us the opportunity to re-sign Leilua. If they miss out on Luciano and sign some other rubbish like Ray Thompson then I'll be absolutely filthy

Latest posts