What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jakey Marketo Moving On

BennyV

Referee
Bennett gave him an opportunity, did he not?

I'm not a "dude" either.
By 'opportunity' you mean 5 games over 2 years, then yes!

However, this just backs up the claim that under a decent coach he'd not have played 51 fg games (as opposed to the claim that he'd be a regular first grader).

Nothing against Jake though - he didn't select himself and if his physical attributes matched his heart, he'd be playing for Australia.

And sorry Jimmy, always assumed you were a guy.

Drag Queen

Bench
Under a proper coach, Marketo could've been an established first grader by now.

One thing his detractors won't acknowledge is what a good cover defender he was.

I'd rather Marketo than a number of other second rowers that have been preferred over recent years.
Isn't it ironic that all the Jake Marketo naysayers have come out in force to support his move. You are one of the good guys Jake. Always gave your all. Good luck with your move mate. Respect.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

However, this just backs up the claim that under a decent coach he'd not have played 51 fg games (as opposed to the claim that he'd be a regular first grader).

Nothing against Jake though - he didn't select himself and if his physical attributes matched his heart, he'd be playing for Australia.

No, I'm actually a bloke.

Drag Queen

Bench

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I certainly won't be losing any sleep over this. I guarantee there will never be a time where anyone says "if only we had kept Jake Marketo".

But credit where it's due, he did extremely well for himself to notch up 51 first grade games. All the best, Jake.

Crush

Coach
Not at all - he said 'I'm not a dude' so I took that as being not male and was apologising for the assumption that he was male.

Turns out he's just against being called 'dude'. In which case I'll mail him a box of tissues.
LOL. Like literally just pissed myself at that post, well done!

Crush

Coach
This is for Saint JimmyG !
th

df1a8142.png
35f2a31b.png

SCATTERBRAIN - Don't Call Me Dude5:18YouTube · 503,000+ views

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
Not at all - he said 'I'm not a dude' so I took that as being not male and was apologising for the assumption that he was male.

Turns out he's just against being called 'dude'. In which case I'll mail him a box of tissues.
Maybe he has some class Benny V. Nothing wrong with that.

giboz71

First Grade
Good luck to him. Never had anything against the bloke and he always tried his heart out.

But unfortunately Jake reflects our lack of ambition over the past few years. The fact he managed 50 plus games for us shows exactly where we stand in the grand scheme of things.

since77

Juniors
Good luck to him. Never had anything against the bloke and he always tried his heart out.

But unfortunately Jake reflects our lack of ambition over the past few years. The fact he managed 50 plus games for us shows exactly where we stand in the grand scheme of things.

These words sum it up in a nutshell.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

You don't know me on a personal level, so I'll excuse your ignorance this time around.

I'm a 45-year old male, who is also proudly Australian.

I find "Americanisms" unnecessary, and more than a little churlish.

(And besides, isn't a "dude"
an euphemism for a donkey's penis, or is that mythology usually found in the realm of junior high school?)

So, feel free to continue communicating in vernacular suited to 12-year-olds, if that 'floats your boat'.

I'll stick with contacting...y'know...mature adults.

Thanks for your kind offer apropos "a box of tissues", but I must decline. Perhaps, if the opportunity arises, I'll emulate your generosity by offering a year's supply of Rectinol one day?

Over to you.

J.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
You don't know me on a personal level, so I'll excuse your ignorance this time around.

an euphemism for a donkey's penis, or is that mythology usually found on the realm of junior high school?)

So, feel free to continue communicating in vernacular suited to 12-year-olds, if that 'floats your boat'.

Thanks for your kind offer apropos "a box of tissues", but I must decline. Perhaps, if the opportunity arises, I'll emulate your generosity by offering a year's supply of Rectinol one day?

Over to you.

J.
Surely you saw the humour in the "don't call me dude" clip from 1990. A 45 year old should remember that song, I think about that song whenever anyone says dont call me dude!
Cheers Jimmy.

BennyV

Referee

an euphemism for a donkey's penis, or is that mythology usually found on the realm of junior high school?)

Over to you.

J.
Lighten up dude.

Drakon

Juniors
STRANGE RUGBY SWITCH

St George Illawarra backrower Jake Marketo has left the NRL for a shock code switch.

Market Watch can reveal the 28-year-old is playing union in Romania.

After eight years with the club, Marketo was not offered a new deal and moved to the other side of the world, linking with the Timișoara Saracens in the top tier rugby competition CEC Bank SuperLiga.

“I felt I needed a change due to the draining season I had personally,” Marketo told Market Watch.

“I am not here to bad mouth anyone but coming off practically two full seasons (2015-16) of first grade, to not getting a look in was tough.

720bde08384bfd0d65bb36c692d5edb8

Jake Marketo of the Dragons tackled just short of the tryline.Source: News Corp Australia
“The opportunity to get as far away as possible, play another sport and live on the other side of the world is a challenge in itself but I thought why not?

“I am a big believer in ‘everything happens for a reason’ and the timing of this was perfect for me and a great thing to develop myself not only as a union player but as a person.”

Marketo made his NRL debut with the Dragons back in 2010 and while he plays backrow, he can also cover lock and hooker.

In rugby, he’s playing centre but hasn’t ruled out a rugby league return in the future.

“I’ll try my hand and see where it takes me and if I get another opportunity to go play in another country I’d look into it,” he said.

“If something from league came my way I’d look at it but time will tell but I am really enjoying it.”

da31621ce8098408e9aef8c717c56663

Jake Marketo during the City training.Source: News Corp Australia
After 51 NRL games, Marketo leaves with three career highlights.

The first was his NRL debut, the next was making 50 top flight games and thirdly earning a rep jumper with City this year.

“The club itself is who I always wanted to play for as I was born in Wollongong,” he said.

“To come through SG Ball, through 20s, reggies (and) then play grade is something that I am proud of and to say I played grade for the Dragons is pretty special to me.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/3cba59ce98d2da26b9145f4caa221e19

Drakon

Juniors
And KFFL and Levi Dodd to the Blackhawks

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/3cba59ce98d2da26b9145f4caa221e19

DRAGON TO BLACKHAWK

6f48e1dea9a8fd5e0a621b0b803b33f9

Townsville Blackhawks signings Levi Dodd and Kalifa FaiFai-Loa.Source: Supplied
St George Illawarra winger Kalifa Faifai Loa has moved to Townsville, signing with Cowboys feeder team the Blackhawks for 2018.

The winger was unable to qualify for a Super League deal due to their quota system that requires NRL signings to have played 50 per cent of their football in the top grade the season before making a UK move.

The only way around that rule is to play representative football, so Faifai Loa’s non-selection for Samoa in this Rugby League World Cup cruelled his last chance to qualify.

The 27-year-old made his NRL debut with the Dragons in 2010 before moving to the Cowboys, Titans and back to the Dragons.