What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

nontime111

Juniors
hes the MUNGREL required!!! as soon as he was announced my excitement and anticipation for Dragons in 2018 went through the roof!! It erased all my disgust of Mclameass also, I think we have the team to roll anyone now regardless of his tactics as long as they rebel a bit and play their own game like they seemed to at times last season

possm

Coach
hes the MUNGREL required!!! as soon as he was announced my excitement and anticipation for Dragons in 2018 went through the roof!! It erased all my disgust of Mclameass also, I think we have the team to roll anyone now regardless of his tactics as long as they rebel a bit and play their own game like they seemed to at times last season
If it was at all possible to have a prop rotation of Graham, Vaughan, Ah Mau and Walmsley with the backup of Allgood, Lattimore, Lawrie and Kerr, we whould surely avoid the burnout that the prop rotation has suffered over the past two years. I believe that if we are to avoid the same mistakes made over the last two years we need 4 first grade props in rotation and a reasonable backup group to replace them at times of fatigue, injury and rep duties.

I'd say we are one prop short and about two backrowers too many. So if Manly do not sign Pearce, I think there is still a chance for a Tommo to Manly move in 2018 and with a TPA from WIN or a player exchange for the transfer fee, we may be able to pull off a Walmsley signing for 2018.

That with adjustments in our backline could see the mighty Dragons up in the top four even with a useless coaching staff in charge. Just imagine a team of:
1. Dufty - speed and elusive with a good passing game
2. Field - speed and elusive has bulked up to cope
3. Lafai - experience on the right edge and will feed a speedy Lomax with good ball
4. Mann - speed, elusive with a good passing game. Can play anywhere in the backline.
5. Lomax - speed, size and great defence. Also a good stand by goal kicker.
6. Widdop - speed and creative. Good kicking game
7. Hunt - speed, great organiser and creative. Great kicking game
8. Vaughan - the form prop of 2017
9. McInnes - needs to run a little as well as pass and defend
10. Graham - tough and great yardage. Will inspire our forwards to perform.
11. Frizell - on the left edge will be deverstating running off Widdop
12. Sims - on the right edge will surely find good ball from Hunt and plug up the leaky right edge
13. De Belin - great up the middle with very solid defence

14. Ah Mau - strong up the centre in attack and defence
15. Walmsley - impact off the bench will make great metres up the middle
16. Host - strong running and good defender
17. Leilua - ball playing backrower. Can move to centre in case of injury in the backline.

Solved speed in our backline
Solved our halves problem
Solved our prop rotation
Solved our versatily problem without needing a utility on the bench
Allows for a four forward bench

Surely a top 4 team if we can get it together

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
If it was at all possible to have a prop rotation of Graham, Vaughan, Ah Mau and Walmsley with the backup of Allgood, Lattimore, Lawrie and Kerr, we whould surely avoid the burnout that the prop rotation has suffered over the past two years. I believe that if we are to avoid the same mistakes made over the last two years we need 4 first grade props in rotation and a reasonable backup group to replace them at times of fatigue, injury and rep duties.

I'd say we are one prop short and about two backrowers too many. So if Manly do not sign Pearce, I think there is still a chance for a Tommo to Manly move in 2018 and with a TPA from WIN or a player exchange for the transfer fee, we may be able to pull off a Walmsley signing for 2018.

That with adjustments in our backline could see the mighty Dragons up in the top four even with a useless coaching staff in charge. Just imagine a team of:
3. Lafai - experience on the right edge and will feed a speedy Lomax with good ball
4. Mann - speed, elusive with a good passing game. Can play anywhere in the backline.
11. Frizell - on the left edge will be deverstating running of Widdop
12. Sims - on the right edge will sure find good ball from Hunt and plug up the leaky right edge

17. Leilua - ball playing backrower. Can move to centre in case of injury in the backline.

Solved our prop rotation

Great team Possm
Nightingale & Aitken gone finally
Sentiment & stubborn selectors shouldn't play a role in professional outfits
Keeping players past their use-by date is for losers.
Blind loyalty kept Moore on as a Wallaby passenger this year.
Nighty should avoid the tap on the shoulder by retiring gracefully, as raw speed is the name of the game these days, just as the bullocking slow centre (aka Aitken) is out of date.
I always applauded the sacking of Healy for what would've been his Test swansong at the Gabba.
Guess who replaced him?
Ruthless form selections win premierships.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Hope he headbutts him!

PS - ( Of course, l don’t advocate violence towards anyone)
PPSS - ( No animals were hurt in the writing of this post )
PPPSSS - ( OKB1 donates to charities on a regular basis)

Agree 100% - Graham is the catalyst.
There'll be a locker room standoff & hopefully a player revolt with Mary by round 5 IMHO.
The Pommy connection might just smile on us for the first time since the likes of Huddart teamed up with Abdul to put on the famous try in the '66 Grand Final!
Anyway we'll be down from the bush for Thurs night round 1 at Jubilee against the Brown paper Bags.- and drinks afterwards at the Taj for the wife to have her fling on the pokies. Ah them were the days, when you knew Frank was upstairs pulling all the right levers!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Agree 100% - Graham is the catalyst.
There'll be a locker room standoff & hopefully a player revolt with Mary by round 5 IMHO.
The Pommy connection might just smile on us for the first time since the likes of Huddart teamed up with Abdul to put on the famous try in the '66 Grand Final!
Anyway we'll be down from the bush for Thurs night round 1 at Jubilee against the Brown paper Bags.- and drinks afterwards at the Taj for the wife to have her fling on the pokies. Ah them were the days, when you knew Frank was upstairs pulling all the right levers!

Well said, mate.

nontime111

Juniors

12. Sims - on the right edge will surely find good ball from Hunt and plug up the leaky right edge

Solved our prop rotation

Post of the year!!!!!! Get onto it Mckwanker and put is out of our misery!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Millward connection helped Dragons sign Graham
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 15 Dec 2017, 08:00 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons Season in Review

The decision to join the St George Illawarra Dragons was made easier for James Graham by the fact his contract negotiations were done with the person who handed him his senior debut 15 years ago in England.

Graham was a 17-year-old rookie when St Helens coach Ian Millward called him up to play alongside the likes of Keiron Cunningham, Sean Long and Paul Wellens in the 2003 Super League match against Castleford at Knowsley Road.

While that was his only first-grade appearance of the season, Graham played another two years under Millward and credits him for instilling a work ethic that has enabled the 32-year-old to remain one of the best props in the game for more than a decade.

As he considered a move from Canterbury at the end of last season, Graham met Dragons coach Paul McGregor and Millward, the club's director of rugby league pathways, and immediately felt comfortable.

"Ian was actually the coach at the time of me making my first-team debut so it was really nice to have a familiar face involved. That definitely helped," Graham told NRL.com from England, where he was visiting family after the World Cup.

"He handed me my debut shirt, but it was more than just my first-team debut. Ian was the first coach to have me when rugby became serious.

quote_graham-1.jpg

"He had been a really successful coach at St Helens and I was a young teenager at the club before I got the chance to play first grade. At 16, there were a few of us who would go and train with the first team in school holidays and at other times, just to get a taste of it.

"It was at that time I really started thinking about my game, and Ian and the players taught me about the extras culture and other things that really rubbed off. It was then I realised I had to do all these little things if I wanted to be part of a first-team squad and it was Ian who started me on that journey."

Graham was also impressed by McGregor, his vision for the Dragons and the culture within the club.

"I like how down to earth he is," Graham said. "He seems like he has got a lot of time for his players and he made a lot of time for me and my family when we went down to Wollongong.

"Once things turned to rugby I was really impressed with what he was saying. If you look back to St George Illawarra's season last year, he pointed out a couple of areas that went really well and other areas that didn't go so well."

After winning six of their opening seven matches, the Dragons slid down the Telstra Premiership ladder before dropping out of the top eight five weeks from the end of the regular season to finish ninth.

They lost five matches by less than six points and another by seven points to Newcastle after a 79th-minute Trent Hodkinson field goal.

Graham believes the Dragons are capable of winning a premiership during the term of his three-year contract – particularly with halfback Ben Hunt from the Brisbane Broncos.

"It is clear to see that it is club with massive potential these next few years," Graham said.

"One of the great things about the NRL is that it is very hard to pick who is going to win our competition and with St George Illawarra I think there is a huge chance of something happening there. That was probably the biggest influence on my decision.

"With someone like Ben Hunt coming in, if you can change a couple of those one-to-six point losses to one-to-six point wins you are starting to look at definitely top eight and maybe top four. After that anything is possible."

While Hunt will help skipper Gareth Widdop steer the team around, Graham will provide leadership up front and the experience of 360 matches for St Helens (225) and the Bulldogs (135), as well as 40 Tests for England (35) and Great Britain (five).

He and Widdop were two of the stars of the England team which made their first World Cup final since 1995 and lost 6-0 to Australia in a gripping final on December 2 at Suncorp Stadium.

"Gareth was outstanding for England both at No.6 and at fullback, and I am looking forward to playing with him more regularly," Graham said of Widdop, whose absence with a knee injury suffered in round eight coincided with a three-game losing streak for the Dragons.

"I think he is a quality, quality player and when you think back to last year, until he picked up that injury he was leading the race for the Dally M and up there with the best halves in the game."

Despite England's World Cup performance earning widespread praise, Graham remains bitterly disappointed by the narrow loss.

However, he believes the tournament was a turning point for the international game and urged officials to schedule more regular matches for the likes of Tonga and ensure England's proposed Test against New Zealand in Denver next June goes ahead.

"That match in Denver is an absolute must for me. I can't speak strongly enough about that," Graham said. "I understand that there might be some concerns from the clubs about player welfare but it is too important for the game to miss out on this opportunity. It could be huge.

"If the right people in the right positions make the right decisions now, we could look back in 20 or 30 years and say 'wow, that 2017 World Cup changed our game at an international level'.

"I honestly think this could be a springboard for our game and I hope the powers that be are asking questions like 'how can we replicate this, how can we do this more often, how can we get Tonga involved in big international rugby league games every year – not just at the World Cup'."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/15/millward-connection-helped-dragons-sign-graham/

Drag Queen

Bench
Author
Timestamp

The decision to join the St George Illawarra Dragons was made easier for James Graham by the fact his contract negotiations were done with the person who handed him his senior debut 15 years ago in England.

Graham was a 17-year-old rookie when St Helens coach Ian Millward called him up to play alongside the likes of Keiron Cunningham, Sean Long and Paul Wellens in the 2003 Super League match against Castleford at Knowsley Road.

While that was his only first-grade appearance of the season, Graham played another two years under Millward and credits him for instilling a work ethic that has enabled the 32-year-old to remain one of the best props in the game for more than a decade.

As he considered a move from Canterbury at the end of last season, Graham met Dragons coach Paul McGregor and Millward, the club's director of rugby league pathways, and immediately felt comfortable.

"Ian was actually the coach at the time of me making my first-team debut so it was really nice to have a familiar face involved. That definitely helped," Graham told NRL.com from England, where he was visiting family after the World Cup.

"He handed me my debut shirt, but it was more than just my first-team debut. Ian was the first coach to have me when rugby became serious.

quote_graham-1.jpg

"He had been a really successful coach at St Helens and I was a young teenager at the club before I got the chance to play first grade. At 16, there were a few of us who would go and train with the first team in school holidays and at other times, just to get a taste of it.

"It was at that time I really started thinking about my game, and Ian and the players taught me about the extras culture and other things that really rubbed off. It was then I realised I had to do all these little things if I wanted to be part of a first-team squad and it was Ian who started me on that journey."

Graham was also impressed by McGregor, his vision for the Dragons and the culture within the club.

"I like how down to earth he is," Graham said. "He seems like he has got a lot of time for his players and he made a lot of time for me and my family when we went down to Wollongong.

"Once things turned to rugby I was really impressed with what he was saying. If you look back to St George Illawarra's season last year, he pointed out a couple of areas that went really well and other areas that didn't go so well."

After winning six of their opening seven matches, the Dragons slid down the Telstra Premiership ladder before dropping out of the top eight five weeks from the end of the regular season to finish ninth.

They lost five matches by less than six points and another by seven points to Newcastle after a 79th-minute Trent Hodkinson field goal.

Graham believes the Dragons are capable of winning a premiership during the term of his three-year contract – particularly with halfback Ben Hunt from the Brisbane Broncos.

"It is clear to see that it is club with massive potential these next few years," Graham said.

"One of the great things about the NRL is that it is very hard to pick who is going to win our competition and with St George Illawarra I think there is a huge chance of something happening there. That was probably the biggest influence on my decision.

"With someone like Ben Hunt coming in, if you can change a couple of those one-to-six point losses to one-to-six point wins you are starting to look at definitely top eight and maybe top four. After that anything is possible."

While Hunt will help skipper Gareth Widdop steer the team around, Graham will provide leadership up front and the experience of 360 matches for St Helens (225) and the Bulldogs (135), as well as 40 Tests for England (35) and Great Britain (five).

He and Widdop were two of the stars of the England team which made their first World Cup final since 1995 and lost 6-0 to Australia in a gripping final on December 2 at Suncorp Stadium.

"Gareth was outstanding for England both at No.6 and at fullback, and I am looking forward to playing with him more regularly," Graham said of Widdop, whose absence with a knee injury suffered in round eight coincided with a three-game losing streak for the Dragons.

"I think he is a quality, quality player and when you think back to last year, until he picked up that injury he was leading the race for the Dally M and up there with the best halves in the game."

Despite England's World Cup performance earning widespread praise, Graham remains bitterly disappointed by the narrow loss.

However, he believes the tournament was a turning point for the international game and urged officials to schedule more regular matches for the likes of Tonga and ensure England's proposed Test against New Zealand in Denver next June goes ahead.

"That match in Denver is an absolute must for me. I can't speak strongly enough about that," Graham said. "I understand that there might be some concerns from the clubs about player welfare but it is too important for the game to miss out on this opportunity. It could be huge.

"If the right people in the right positions make the right decisions now, we could look back in 20 or 30 years and say 'wow, that 2017 World Cup changed our game at an international level'.

"I honestly think this could be a springboard for our game and I hope the powers that be are asking questions like 'how can we replicate this, how can we do this more often, how can we get Tonga involved in big international rugby league games every year – not just at the World Cup'."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/15/millward-connection-helped-dragons-sign-graham/
Well there you go. Started in the red and white and will finish in the red and white. I like this a lot.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Author
Timestamp

quote_graham-1.jpg

There were many positives in that article. Graham has a very positive attitude towards our club, our roster, Ben Hunt, our chances of winning a comp in the nexty 3 years, our recruitment officer, and even our coach. lol Graham also sounds like he has a good perspective on the game. He will definitely provide a great leadership role. I think he will also have a good influence on younger players. I think we will get value for money on and off the field with Graham.

Interestingly Ben Hunt also had positive words to say about Mary, but don't ask me to quote them. Many people have previously said that Mary doesn't attract talent.

denis preston

First Grade
Last chance Mary ! If he can get them to the 4 then it will be a good year and a tick for him.If we look like we won't make the 8 mid year I'm hoping graham & Hunt lead the revolt to piss him off AND I'd hope that the assistant coaches go with him. He already has said he has the team he wants ( as if he signed them all up himself and Millward had nothing to do with it !!! ) so he should die on his sword.

For us and the clubs sake I hope he has made a quantum leap in rugby league strategy & management and we challenge the next couple of years.For me still doesn't erase the wasted years we spent on L plate coaching staff.

Solved our prop rotation

Layman's logic and is exciting to contemplate.
The only (and main issue) not solved is the coach.
For those selections and philosophy to change - we need a different coaching set up.
Good to dream though

blacksafake

First Grade
Last chance Mary ! If he can get them to the 4 then it will be a good year and a tick for him.If we look like we won't make the 8 mid year I'm hoping graham & Hunt lead the revolt to piss him off AND I'd hope that the assistant coaches go with him. He already has said he has the team he wants ( as if he signed them all up himself and Millward had nothing to do with it !!! ) so he should die on his sword.

For us and the clubs sake I hope he has made a quantum leap in rugby league strategy & management and we challenge the next couple of years.For me still doesn't erase the wasted years we spent on L plate coaching staff.
My sentiments too denis.