James Graham.

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by SET2JT, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

I think Mary may not have the tactical sense but man management is his key strength. Players seem to really respect him and the culture at the club is great and has been for a while. If they can get Neil Henry as his assistant as Neil has the good tactical nous that Mary needs it will be a good combo as Henry seems to have bad man management skills. They can strike up a good balance and be very successful together. I don't get why they got that pommie dude instead.

2. possm

possm First Grade

Being loved by the players and loyal to them when it comes to selection in first grade does not make for good man management. Look to the strong and fair charactors of the Storm and Broncos coaches to see true respect.

3. Drag Queen

Drag Queen Juniors

No denying Paul McGregor is a nice bloke but he isn't being paid to be their friend. He needs to start firing up quite a few players imo.

hazzbeen likes this.
  4. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

There's no evidence that getting Henry on board is being considered, is there?

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  5. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Nailed it.
    Nice bloke will get you a free beer or two.
    Mary has had ample opportunity to stamp his authority with reasonable squads. Top 8 squads IMHO.
    2018 should be his defining moment.
    The status quo is unacceptable.

6. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Not that i have heard of and I sincerely doubt it would happen.

7. ST Tangles 01

ST Tangles 01 Juniors

I'm looking forward to Graham playing with us next year more than any other player.
    Lawrie and the young forwards coming through can learn so much from him.

8. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

No he not coming

TruSaint likes this.
  9. Walpole

Walpole Juniors

It can only be a good thing for young blokes like Lawrie, Kerr, Sele, Host and Leilua to be around a hard nosed veteran like Graham who hates losing more than just about anyone in the comp.

10. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Yes. This is his real value. Lifting, driving and inspiring others to have a real dig and a win at all cost mentality.

11. 2010

2010 Juniors

I saw a game last year when Graham was taken out of the game with about 10 minutes left in the game.
    To say he was pissed would be an understatement
    That is the attitude we need in our team.

12. This Year?

This Year? First Grade

The pom will turn into a plod after a month with the bald merkin.

13. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Yeah, it goes beyond that mate. Have followed him for some time and always wanted some on of his ilk in our squad. Watch his reaction when his team is up by 18 and 2 minutes to go and they let in a try. He losses the plot and lets them know it. Each point counts an each play counts. Rare to see such emotion nowadays. Like i said, a winner at all cost.. Love that shite. :)

14. Smurf

Smurf Juniors

Totally agree TruSaint

Also on a side note
    Thank you for all your posts
    Much appreciated

Wish you and all dragons fans a merry Christmas and a red and white 2018 !!!!

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and TruSaint like this.
  15. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Cheers Smurf,

Have a safe and wonderful Christmas ...

Smurf likes this.
  16. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

Graham showing the way for young Dragons forward

Graham's first week

James Graham had just finished his third training session since joining the St George Illawarra Dragons when he grabbed rookie forward Blake Lawrie and suggested they do some more fitness work.

As most of the Dragons players prepared for a run to the beach adjoining WIN Stadium after the gruelling session on Thursday, Graham and Lawrie continued to train together before joining their teammates in the surf.

"He has only been here a few days but he has impressed me," Lawrie told NRL.com. "You can tell how he has got to where he has and why he has played as many games as he has just by what he does on the training paddock.

"He is always working hard and he always does extras. He just pulled me aside at the end of training then and we did a couple of extras together."

Graham only began training with the Dragons this week following a trip to England and Canada to visit family after the World Cup but he is already demonstrating why the club was so keen to sign him from the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

With a number of promising young forwards in his squad, including Lawrie, Jacob Host, Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua, Dragons coach Paul McGregor is looking for Graham - who has more than 400 NRL, Super League and Test matches on his resume - to assist with their development this season by acting as a forward leader.

"You can just tell he has got a wealth of experience in his head," said Lawrie, who played six NRL matches last season. "Every little thing he has got to say something about he has got a different opinion or a different aspect."

Tariq Sims on James Graham's arrival

Graham said he enjoyed mentoring younger players and was excited about the potential at the Dragons in coming seasons, with Lawrie (5 games), Host (19), Sele (15) and Leilua (4) all just 21 years of age but each having played first grade.

"As an older guy, I like seeing those younger guys coming through and seeing their careers develop," the 32-year-old English prop said.

"We have seen a few young lads here get that taste of first team last year, they have got that first season under their belt, they know what the NRL is about and what they need to do to play week to week and I think we will see some of them come to the forefront of this pack this year."

Known for his ball-playing ability as well as his toughness up front, Graham said he was happy to play either style depending on McGregor's wishes.

"If they want me to play with the ball or whether they just want me to tuck it up my jumper I will do that.

"The plan might differ from week-to-week but I have just got to fit into the team and play my role to the best of my ability. I am here to do my best and try to play the best I can. I just want to play well for this club."

Crush, JDHD, dragonssamy61 and 2 others like this.
  17. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

I know the ball playing skills of forwards at the Dogs was battered in the media, but I hope that Mary doesnt "restrict" James's capacity to the point where he becomes a 32 year old battering ram.

He offers so much more...

There is a balance I believe.

18. TheOnlyTeam

TheOnlyTeam Juniors

Bugger, he said he is going to toe the line, I hope he doesn't lose his mongrel.

dragonssamy61 and TruSaint like this.
  19. TruSaint

TruSaint Coach

Lose his mongrel ? Impossible... ( although i get your point ).
    My concern is that he will be " structured " to play a certain "power game ", and inhibit his instincts.

Country Dragon and dragonssamy61 like this.
  20. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

Agree true.
    I hope he can be allowed to use his skills and to pass them on to young guns.
    His work ethics will rub of on the other expecially the young guys like luc.

TruSaint likes this.