What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Graham.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Have noticed the same myself and also that he stands at the back of the locker room when the song is being sung .
It is almost as if he feels like an outsider, at least that's the impression I get , but agree Red V Life about that ' twirling ' of his hand - most unsportsmanlike to say the least .
Dragonsammy61 if you are reading this tell the chap to move closer to the action in future and that also goes for Hunt and any of the new younger players who have made their NRL debuts .

Mate it's just how he is.
Graham is a quite guy of the field but when he crosses that white line he is a totally different person.
He keeping all his energy for sam Burgess.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Graham taking young-guns to the next level
Dragons Den News
r0_0_4614_3076_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

IT’S a sight as common as empty beer cups on the WIN Stadium hill after a game.

Like clockwork, when a Dragons field session ends, veteran prop James Graham makes his way down to the far end of the park and works through his extras.

It was a solitary exercise when he first arrived in Wollongong but it’s something he rarely does alone these days, a member of the Dragons next generation inevitably tags along.

On Wednesday it was Hame Sele. It’s an illustration of why the Dragons were so keen to bring the Englishman to the club – though Graham himself thinks very little of it.

“If I feel like it, or if I feel it’s necessary it’s good to have a little trot to throw the cobwebs off,” he said.

“[Wednesday] was a lighter day and we’ve got a longer turnaround. We’ve got some short ones coming up and then we’ve got the bye so I thought why not.

“It was five minutes of a little bit of extra running, it’s not really worth mentioning.”

He may not think much of it, but people notice, especially the club’s younger brigade, including Blake Lawrie who’s accompanied him on those trips to the eastern corner.

“I’ve done a couple of times but geez, it’s a bit tough,” Lawrie said.

“He does everything away from the football paddock that no one else sees. He should get a lot more credit than what he does.

“From when he got here the first week you take little things away from him. His line-speed, his kick pressure, his push, his talk... I could give you a whole list it's just outstanding.”

It's enough to make Bulldogs fans weep, with Graham's leadership playing no small part in the Dragons surge up the ladder this season, winning eight of their first nine games before last week's defeat at the hands of the Rabbitohs.

Having slid out of the finals race from a similar position last season, red v fans could be forgiven for feeling a sense of deja vu but Graham – who was part of the Bulldogs side that bundled the Dragons out in round 26 last year – put the loss down to the normal ebbs and flows of an NRL campaign.

"These aren't tough times. If they do come I’m sure we’ll handle it but I don’t think we’re there yet,” Graham said ahead of his side's clash with Canberra in Mudgee on Sunday.

“One loss is probably jumping the gun [for concern]. I tend to stay away from what other people are saying.

“I know we went to New Zealand and lost [in round seven] and then we backed up with a win. We need to try and replicate that.

“It’s an old saying, a week’s a long time in sport. Despite the fact we lost on the weekend, there was still a lot of good to be seen out of it and a lot that we can turn into positive things.

“It’s a roller coaster, and it will be for every team, every season. Things change within a week you look at some teams and big injuries, that changes the course of how a season goes..

"Ultimately you want to try and peak in August-September and maybe early October.”

Lawrie is the only change to coach Paul McGregor's 17 for Sunday's clash with the Raiders in Mudgee. Origin hopefuls Jack de Belin (hip) and Ben Hunt (corked thigh) were on limited duties through the week but will play at Glen Willow Oval barring any late mishaps.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-taking-young-guns-to-the-next-level/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
grahanj-180406-gp-60.jpg

BULLDOGS

Bulldogs muscle up for Graham reunion
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Thu 7 Jun 2018, 06:01 PM

James Graham has enjoyed a career by riding his emotions and Canterbury expect their former skipper to be at his intense best in the first appearance against his old club after being forced out last season.

While the Englishman's numbers have been down in 2018 in comparison to his consistent career at Belmore, his Dragons are leading the Telstra Premiership with a finals appearance all but locked in assuming they can get through the busy representative period.

Graham's departure at Belmore for the arrival of Aaron Woods has left Bulldogs fans with mixed opinions at the halfway mark of the season with their team languishing in 15th position.

His former teammates are expecting Graham to make things more difficult for his old club in the Queen's birthday clash on Monday.

"Bupa [Graham] played a big role and part here at Canterbury," centre Will Hopoate said.

"It's exciting we're coming up against our former fearless captain and leader. I've got used to it now; in the first couple of rounds it was a bit weird [seeing him] in red and white."

Hopoate excited for clash with Graham

Graham continues to dine with his former teammates, recently catching up with back-rower Rhyse Martin, halfback Matt Frawley and forward Aiden Tolman in Cronulla – a trend that has occurred regularly despite the veteran prop's departure last September.

"He's honest, tough and a very passionate player and no matter who he plays for he'll give 110%, maybe 120 against us," Martin said.

"He'll want to prove a point and put on a show physically. I'm excited about that, he's supported me a lot since I've been here."

The Bulldogs have scored the first try in nine of their 12 games but have struggled to build any momentum to record just three wins.

Although their attack has continued to struggle, defensively the side are ranked ninth – with six losses by a margin of six points or less.

"If we had the answer I would tell you but it's hard to put a finger on it," Hopoate said.

"We just can't put the icing on the cake. It's something we are trying to figure as a team and be more ruthless towards the end of the game instead of going into our shell.

"I think we've got strike power to finish off games. I think it's more making the right decisions under fatigue and communicating clearer towards the end of games when everyone doesn't feel like talking.

"The little things will play a big part in us finishing games stronger."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/08/bulldogs-muscle-up-for-graham-reunion/

John moz

Juniors
After what the bulldogs did to james he would be fired up for Mondays game.We should win this by 13+ all the boys will lift and win this for him.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Graham ready for showdown with former club
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3027_2018_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FIRED UP: James Graham will play his first game against the Bulldogs on Monday after being off-loaded at the end of last season. Picture: AAP

If you looked into James Graham’s eyes before a clash with a former club five years ago you might have thought you’d won a feature on the pokies. Against a club that let him go after six years loyal service - jackpot.

These days however, the once volatile Englishman keeps that famous passion in check. Still, as coach Paul McGregor said on Sunday, Graham will have and “extra spring in his step” against the Bulldogs on Monday.

"Everyone has a point to prove, playing against their old club, and he got moved on,” McGregor said.

“We were in the right place at the right time to pick up such a quality person. He's a leader of men, a player that came into our organisation that knows how to win and knows how to show the way.

“He plays with passion and purpose. He talks the talk and walks the walk."

Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop agrees, but says his longtime England Test teammate now walks the thin red line with precision without letting emotion boil over.

“He's fired up each and every week he takes the field, it's just the way he goes about his business,” Widdop said.

“It's just the way he is as an individual, he's very, very passionate, we've all seen it. He's changed his ways a little bit.

“It's a bit different from being at the Dogs where he was the captain. I played with him for England and he hasn't been the captain so he's probably not under that pressure.

"He still has his moments, which is great, he snaps which is quite funny, but he's been great for us.

“Jammer's one of those individuals where it's just another game for him and he'll be going out there to do it to the best of his ability and play to our standards.

“Although it's against his former club, and it's always exciting playing against your old teammates, it's about a team performance, not going out there and doing anything silly.”

Along with fellow big name recruit Ben Hunt, Graham has had a transformative effect on the club for which he was a late pick-up after being off-loaded by the Bulldogs.

He proved the first casualty of a salary cap mess still plaguing the club, with Moses Mbye and Aaron Woods both tipped to exit the club before the season’s out.

While the 32-year-old has had a clear impact on the club’s young forwards, fullback Matt Dufty said it’s something that been felt right across the squad.

“Jammer’s one of the most competitive people I’ve ever met and he’ll definitely come out and play one of his best games on Monday,” Dufty said.

“In preseason there were times where we’d run though some sets and we’d kick it dead and all the boys would be annoyed but he just sprinted back to the 30 [metre-line].

“People notice things like that and, by the end of preseason, everyone was sprinting back to the 30 if we were kicking it dead.

“He’s definitely rubbed off on the whole team. None of the forwards want to get left behind when he’s out there doing extras and it’s good for the team to have someone out there like that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5458687/former-bulldog-ready-to-take-on-old-mates/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Graham to join elite dual 150-game club
Author
Chris Kennedy
Timestamp
Wed 27 Jun 2018, 03:01 PM

Bulldogs and Dragons stalwart James Graham will hit a rare milestone when he runs out this weekend, becoming just the fourth player to rack up at least 150 games in both the UK and Australian competitions.

The 32-year-old Graham played a whopping 224 games for St Helens in the English Super League before signing with Canterbury mid-career, playing 135 games in blue and white before switching to the Dragons this season where he will rack up his 15th game at his new club and 150th in the NRL on Thursday night, according to NRL.com Stats.

Plenty of Australian players have enjoyed long and successful careers in both hemispheres without cracking the magical 150-mark in both, including names like Matt Gidley, Brett Hodgson and Pat Richards.

Conversely plenty of good Englishmen have headed to our shores for fruitful careers again without chalking up the sort of numbers Graham has achieved, including Adrian Morley, Sam Burgess, Gareth Ellis and Mal Reilly.

According to League Information Services statistician David Middleton, Graham will become just the fourth to twin 150s, following the path of Greg Mackey, Tony Puletua and Joel Monaghan.

stat-attack_graham_20180627-1.jpg

Younger fans may not remember Mackey, who was a halfback who played exactly 150 games from 1980 to 1989 in the NSWRL for the Rabbitohs, Steelers and Bulldogs before heading to the UK. There he chalked up 218 more appearances for Warrington and Hull in the Rugby Football League Championship that preceded the Super League.

Penrith wrecking ball and 2003 premiership-winner Tony Puletua had a fine NRL career over 12 seasons with Penrith but casual fans may not realise the long-serving back-rower did more than a twilight season in England, playing 176 games from 2009 to 2015 for St Helens, Salford and Hull KR.

Monaghan was good enough to play five Tests for Australia and three Origins for NSW during a nine-year, 173-game career for the Raiders and Roosters before departing the NRL in the wake of a Mad Monday incident.

While he may have disappeared from Australian fans' radars, Monaghan proved a try-scoring sensation in the Super League, scoring a try per game in 145 appearances for Warrington before adding 31 more starts at Castleford before hanging up the boots last year.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said on Wednesday he expected all his representative players bar Tyson Frizell to back up on Thursday with England representatives Graham and Gareth Widdop having been back on deck since Monday. This paves the way for Graham to chalk up Telstra Premiership game 150 when he runs out against the Eels on Thursday night.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/27/graham-to-join-elite-dual-150-game-club/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Explains his love of Mitch Rein - he’s never had to receive a pass from him!

Now now...

I don't have amorous feelings towards Rein (the other Reyne, definitely YES!); it's just I don't understand adulation suggesting McInnes is an upgrade over him.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Fortunately from my vantage point at Wollongong, I get a front row seat of the Dragons' interchange bench. As such, I notice a very bit of indifference when a player is replaced.

Not so, James Graham; he was DEADSET FILTHY at being taken off after 25 minutes last Thursday.

It's this type of passion that determines 'also rans' from premiership contenders.

Yes, JG is close to the end of a long career, and he doesn't make as much impact as a Russell Packer, however the leadership qualities he had brought are worth their weight in gold.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I’ll help you out then. One of those players is next in line for NSW hooker. The other player is the back up hooker at the Gold Coast.

That same "back up" has also been SOO worthy so your point is moot.

Your "help" is unnecessary and flawed.