What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

forward pass

Coach
I don't want to be seen as defending Kent because he can be an arsehole, but isn't his criticism aimed at the NRL for allowing this contract - rather than at Parra itself. I don't think he has ever suggested we have done anything wrong in this matter.

lingard

Coach
Why did he bring it up only when Hayne signed with Parramatta? If he's so concerned about players entering the market to find their true value why was there no article when Ken Edwards re-signed before the 1st of November the year before his contract was set to expire? Why was there no article when Trent Merrin did the same thing at penrith?

When he first brought it up on NRL360 his whole angle on it was, and this is roughly exactly what he said ... how can the nrl let a player go to this club who recently cheated for less money and not launch an investigation into it ... ie. He flat out said we were cheating again

His Folau reference was entirely about losing folau to union, not in the slightest that parra were hard done by.

As everyone already said, as if the NRL hasnt looked into the deal. Infact there was an article after kents meltdown which said the nrl havent even signed off yet but dont seen there being an issue. So basically, they were still looking into it.

Honestly, his rant was so full of shit it makes him hard to take seriously ... Hayne is not a f**kin shadow of what he was ... no club wanted him ... and he obviously wants to be at parra ... he doesnt give a f**k when half a dozen bronco signings take 100k+ less to go there.

I think it is partly what gary said, clickbait ... but also partly pent up dislike of both parra and hayne that made him really give a shit enough to go all beetroot head over it

Well, if you can't see that this is a fairly unique case ........ a player walking out of a million dollar contract to sign for half that amount at a club that actually, literally was caught cheating the salary cap only last year? And you think Paul Kent - a sports journalist on a high profile television show - shouldn't be saying a word about it? Hayne has been one of the most talked about NRL players of the last ten years. Paul Kent is a sports journalist. Do you not see that?

lingard

Coach
Im also of the opinion that the appropriate discussions were had. Obviously PK wasnt invited to those meetings. How dare they.
I hope Bernie tears him a new one. He has no right to insinuate our club is acting inappropriately. Slanderous Slug.

Why not? Our club was caught acting inappropriately last year.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Well, if you can't see that this is a fairly unique case ........ a player walking out of a million dollar contract to sign for half that amount at a club that actually, literally was caught cheating the salary cap only last year? And you think Paul Kent - a sports journalist on a high profile television show - shouldn't be saying a word about it? Hayne has been one of the most talked about NRL players of the last ten years. Paul Kent is a sports journalist. Do you not see that?

So we're cheating the cap again, got it.

lingard

Coach
In fairness, Hayne is much higher profile than those other examples.

I think Kent has a point but I also think he is out to shaft Hayne as well.

And he's taken a very significant pay cut, and going to a club that was recently caught cheating. I think any sports journalist has a right to question this.

lingard

Coach
No one has come even close to alleging that. But when you are caught once, do you honestly expect everyone to forget about it the next day? No one's forgotten the Storm or Canterbury. Why us? And what if Hayne had taken a substantial pay cut to go and play with the Storm? How would you feel then?

Kent spent plenty of time telling us how Hayne was poison and that no other club wanted him. And that he was worth around $600,000. Now that he's gone to a club for about that amount, a club at which he was a superstar and the only other one he'd ever played for, Kent is livid. Something doesn't add up but it's not the amount the Eels signed Hayne for.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
No one has come even close to alleging that. But when you are caught once, do you honestly expect everyone to forget about it the next day? No one's forgotten the Storm or Canterbury. Why us?

So I see that Mick Gordon has signed to the titans after immediately being released by the roosters. Is kent going to have a cry about him not going to market and finding out his true value?

I get it, kent wants to make a big deal about this happening. But if he wants his opinion to hold weight then he needs to showcase many examples of this happening rather than just one. There are many examples but his failure to offer up another and rather use "player X" means he doesn't care about other examples, he only cares about making it appear that Parramatta are the only club doing the wrong thing.

T.S Quint

Coach
There are valid reasons to think so. We won wooden spoons while cheating the cap and then afterwards we finished top four. Why wouldn’t a neutral observer think we were still dodgy?

We probably are cheating the cap.
But then, I think most clubs are cheating the cap. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bit naive, I reckon.

strider

Post Whore
No one has come even close to alleging that. But when you are caught once, do you honestly expect everyone to forget about it the next day? No one's forgotten the Storm or Canterbury. Why us?

If he is not suggesting there is dodgy shit going on then i have absolute no idea what he is even saying .... of course he is saying there is cap cheating happening - what the f**k else?

And why is he the only journo who thinks so? ... everyone else seems to accept jarryd aint worth a million

lingard

Coach
Kent spent plenty of time telling us how Hayne was poison and that no other club wanted him. And that he was worth around $600,000. Now that he's gone to a club for about that amount, a club at which he was a superstar and the only other one he'd ever played for, Kent is livid. Something doesn't add up but it's not the amount the Eels signed Hayne for.

Mate, every man and his dog has been saying that Hayne is poison - including a fair percentage of Parramatta fans. And the $600,000 is what Kent, himself, thought would be a reasonable amount of money to pay for Hayne (what Kent figured his real on-field value is at present). But that's not the point. The point is that Hayne is (theoretically) prepared to forgo a reported 1 million dollars in exchange for a reported $500,000 - all because he loves Parramatta so much. Well, wonderful if it's true. But if he was going to Melbourne under those conditions, I bet we'd all be up in arms about it.

lingard

Coach
If he is not suggesting there is dodgy shit going on then i have absolute no idea what he is even saying .... of course he is saying there is cap cheating happening - what the f**k else?

And why is he the only journo who thinks so? ... everyone else seems to accept jarryd aint worth a million

It's not a question of what he's worth. It's a question of a guy like Jarryd Hayne (who many have painted as a guy who is only in it for the money) suddenly turning his back on a million dollars in exchange for a $500,000 one year contract. THAT is the question. Now, either Jarryd loves Parramatta that much, or there is a shit load of TPA's happening in the background. And the context of the whole discussion on NRL 360 was that every one agreed that TPA's are a blight on the game and that they are virtually unpoliceable (you only get caught if you are very unlucky). Now, I'm not saying that there is necessarily anything dodgy going on in this case; what I am saying is that Paul Kent (or any other journalist) has a right to point out that the NRL should be all over it (and he appears to think that they aren't).
I really don't get why everyone here is so upset about Kent saying what he said. If he was saying it about another club no one would care, I'm sure.

Latest posts