What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

Happy MEel

First Grade
But the fact of 'Uncle Nick' (or whomever) arranging this is technically against the rules. Now, the Uncle Nicks of the NRL clearly don't have a problem with letter-of-the-law vs spirit-of-the-law, but Uncle Max certainly does.
Uncle Nick was probably a bad example. But it wouldn't be hard for a company to get in contact with a player agent if they wanted to align themselves with a particular player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Thanks Captain obvious. However, I think it's conceivable that a Parramatta based company could see value in associating with "Jarryd Hayne the brand" if he was prepared to actually front up to the sponsor's gigs. At least this way you're guaranteed a superstar rather than some NYC nuffies signing some autographs on behalf of the club.
Yeah agreed. It's conceivable.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'm sure they wouldn't. But wouldn't these companies prefer to be associated with the club than with an individual player?
Not necessarily. See my previous post re. The club sending nuffies to events rather than superstars.

It's the same with any legit TPA that currently exists now. Let's use Jennings as an example. He is sponsored by Nike and they can leverage his personal social media accounts as opposed to the generic eels brand. It creates a far more genuine and personal endorsement than the club plugging something. I reckon kids are far more likely to buy Jennings' boots than a hypothetical competitor shoe brand that sponsors the club.

I know this because I have been involved in a sponsorship of a larger event/brand but it was the individual endorsements that were far more effective. (I'll admit it wasn't a league experience though).

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'm sure they wouldn't. But wouldn't these companies prefer to be associated with the club than with an individual player?
As a comparison, I found this Instagram post from Shine Lawyers of Semi from a little while ago. Notice there were only 39 likes. Not really penetrating marketing if you ask me. The club (to their credit) keep their social media relatively sponsor free. Now I realise social media is by no means a conclusive test of value but it at least provides some comparison of benefits between a Club and an individual player.

As a comparison, I found this Instagram post from Shine Lawyers of Semi from a little while ago. Notice there were only 39 likes. Not really penetrating marketing if you ask me. The club (to their credit) keep their social media relatively sponsor free. Now I realise social media is by no means a conclusive test of value but it at least provides some comparison of benefits between a Club and an individual player.

Poor kid, whats wrong with him?

who said we're not allowing TPA's?

ludicrous if true
I don't know anything you don't know. What we both know is that Max was brought in to clean up the club after our TPA situation was exposed because we were stupid enough to record our cheating and we had a whistleblower. The person brought in was a professional administrator with no allegiance to the club and a reputation he would presumably like to maintain as he will not be here forever. He has very little incentive to break the same rules as the people who were caught and he was brought in to replace. And that would be fine except that the whole TPA business is beyond corrupt and if you're obeying the letter of the law then you're a chump. And likely an also-ran.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fair enough about Jennings. Here's a local business giving him TPAs at some stage:
C8C1_HLVMAETR26.jpg

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Let's use Hayne as an example...There's nothing stopping a company telling a player agent that they would be prepared to sponsor him for $200k per season if he is a Parra player, otherwise they won't offer the sponsorship.

As long as the club had nothing to do with it there's nothing really the NRL can do.

I have no evidence but I'm fairly confident this is how the vast majority of TPAs are organised (think Uncle Nick and his friends).
Yeah because Uncle Nick always gets his man......

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
I don't know anything you don't know. What we both know is that Max was brought in to clean up the club after our TPA situation was exposed because we were stupid enough to record our cheating and we had a whistleblower. The person brought in was a professional administrator with no allegiance to the club and a reputation he would presumably like to maintain as he will not be here forever. He has very little incentive to break the same rules as the people who were caught and he was brought in to replace. And that would be fine except that the whole TPA business is beyond corrupt and if you're obeying the letter of the law then you're a chump. And likely an also-ran.
that still doesn't mean we're not allowing TPA's unless Bernie or Max has said so

Gronk

Staff member
there's no way Max can stop him getting TPA's if his manager has arranged them

Agree. I bet those type of TPAs are rare though.

I recall merkins talking about Benji when he was looking for a club. They said on NRL360 that signing Benji would not cost all that much bc Benji has loyal TPA sponsors who are happy to keep supporting him no matter where he goes.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
that still doesn't mean we're not allowing TPA's unless Bernie or Max has said so
Given that we will never get definitive proof regarding 99% of the shit we talk about most of us look to make informed assessments in the way that Loser Baby has.

You should try it some time.

strider

Post Whore
Im going to make an informed assessment that you are a top bloke gary

But i guess i will never have definitive proof