What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal

The Colonel

Immortal
Hayne is basically saying exactly what we all think of the Telegraph and Hadley and so forth, yet still gets castigated.

Yes, he is. He also knows that without the media he doesn't grow his brand. He and his manager are quite smart.....

Keep slagging them off every chance he gets and they will keep looking for reasons, good or bad to keep him on the back page. Bad publicity is still publicity....

phantom eel

First Grade
Will be good to see what the Titans getting smashing in week one of the finals does for Jarryd's brand....

He and his manager will find some way to try and upstage the grand final week media, just like they've done during the origin period the past two years.

ash411

Bench
Hayne is basically saying exactly what we all think of the Telegraph and Hadley and so forth, yet still gets castigated.
You're missing the point Suity...

He's not being castigated for criticising the media, he's bang on about that. He compared himself to Jesus, yeah not in so many words, but he did.

He's not being castigated for criticising the media, he's bang on about that. He compared himself to Jesus, yeah not in so many words, but he did.

And how exactly do you know that Jarryd isn't in fact jesus himself reincarnated?
And thats something we will never know.
I think theres a very high possibility he is in fact Jesus and that would be a lot of weight on his shoulders don't you think?
He would be suffering in silence.

Micky75

Juniors
Wouldn't it be a big back to you if Jarryd was the real jesus?
I'll leave you with that to think about.

I went to Marist Brothers Christian schools at St Gregs - 4 kms up the road on Minto where Hayne is from. I'm quite a bit older than Hayne, but Hayne should concentrate on his team - because Titans have a chance ..small chance make the Grandfinal - 50/1

And how exactly do you know that Jarryd isn't in fact jesus himself reincarnated?
And thats something we will never know.
I think theres a very high possibility he is in fact Jesus and that would be a lot of weight on his shoulders don't you think?
He would be suffering in silence.

If you're so confident, invite Jazza to your daughter's wedding and order no alcohol from the caterers.

forward pass

Coach
Jesus v Jarryd ?

I dont know who is greater, but I guarantee Jesus Christ could not possibly have scored some of the tries Jarryd has.

Gronk

Staff member
Jarryd needs to slow down and ask himself why he has "haters".

If he allowed the Eels to put their best offer on the table and then advise the club that it was not enough. Then the club would have declared that they are out. A few days later we're used to the fact that he will sign elsewhere. Then he signs his Alan Bond contract. Punters would have been disappointed in the short term however they all would concede in time that the disparity of the offers would compel anyone to accept the higher offer.

He also needs to understand that he DID say to his fans as he departed, that he had signed for life. Then he repeated the same statement in like terms over and over again in the subsequent 2 years after his departure. To date he has not dealt with this.

The "haters" emerged not because his former club pulled out of the race (if he was smart he should have played it that way) but instead he lead the coach to believe, even up to a few days before he signed with the Titans, that he was committed to the club. Then he lied in the Titans presser that we never offered him a deal etc. Add to the knife twisting, he then publicly sledged his former club. You don't do that if you are family, Jarryd.

To show his continual lack of class, the merkin sits in a presser 3 weeks down the track and talks about the haters as if they are internet trolls. No Jarryd they are not people out to get you, they are mums, dads, kids, grandparents etc who invested in your career and deserve better.

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade

Suity and Ram appear to be the only ones still upset we didn't throw the farm at Hayne to get him to sign at all costs? They'll likely defend Hayne's actions and quotes until another player reaches that late 2009 form....

Gronk

Staff member
Jarryd Hayne: Australians don't hate Gold Coast Titans star, but have little time for lofty declarations
ANALYSIS
By Dan Colasimone
Posted 24 minutes ago

Jesus Christ knew how to ignore the haters and go about his business, Jarryd Hayne pointed out this week while railing at the media for treating him unfairly, but he is missing the point.

Australians, or the majority of them at least, don't hate Jarryd Hayne. But they do lose patience quickly when they feel they are being taken for a ride.

Nor does the media hate the Gold Coast Titans recruit. It jumped aboard the Hayne Plane when it took off over the Pacific and revelled in every minute of his NFL adventure, with all the page clicks, TV ratings and newspaper sales it generated.

It doesn't matter whether you are in the business of saving souls or kicking field goals, the media's job is to call you out if you act in a way that is insincere. Especially when you are a public figure who first delivers media statements via the social media accounts of your product line rather than your personal account.

"Today's media is not about facts or truths anymore," Hayne declared on Wednesday.

"It's more leaning towards a story or how much they can really blow something up. It's disappointing and it's sad but it is what it is. As athletes, we do as much talking as we can on the field."

But Hayne did a fair bit of talking off the field when he decided to leave his beloved Parramatta Eels and head to American Football.

"It's always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there," a teary Hayne said in October, 2014.

Fair enough.

"I'm leaving knowing that I have signed a 'lifetime agreement' with the Eels, so if I return to the NRL, it will be to Parramatta."

Right.

It is safe to say at that stage there were quite a few who doubted he could bust into America's elite football code, but not many in Australia were hoping Hayne would crash and burn.

We followed him every step of the way as he picked up a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, put in some impressive pre-season performances, sensationally earned a place on their team roster, then struggled to hold that place. He was dropped to the training squad, but earned a handful more starts as the season drew to a close, raising hopes Down Under that he could build on his flying start in season two.

Then came another bombshell.

"The Olympics has been something I have admired since I was a little boy, and it is an opportunity I feel very similar to me joining the NFL," Hayne announced in May of this year, as he quit the 49ers to chase a spot on Fiji's Olympic sevens team.

"I simply could not pass that chance up."

PHOTO: Jarryd Hayne's Olympic dreams were never realised. (Getty Images: Ezra Shaw)
This is the point where many Hayne fans began to lose the faith a little. It was a stumbling block in the athlete's career trajectory as well, as the 28-year-old missed out on selection in Fiji's squad, his dream of competing at the Olympics and the gold medal they would eventually win.

The player continued to flirt with rugby union despite this setback, meeting with the Waratahs and looking at offers from France and Japan as NRL clubs scrambled to catch his eye.

"I like my red wine, so maybe the south of France. But I also like sushi, so it could be Japan," he teased.

If Parramatta fans were annoyed at this stage, many were understandably very upset when Hayne popped up with a contract at the Gold Coast Titans this August.

"Not in my wildest dreams I ever thought I would be up on the Gold Coast," he said, candidly revealing his latest venture was not, in fact, another Inception-like dream-within-a-dream scenario.

All of these quotes are straight from the mouth of Hayne, with no media distortion needed. If analysis pieces have been written which are critical of this gifted athlete's behaviour over a hectic couple of years, those are reflective of the public's opinion.

Yes, a young footballer is entitled to pursue whichever career he desires, and he is certainly allowed to secure his future and the future of his family with a series of meaty contracts.

PHOTO: Saving souls or kicking field goals -- sincerity is important. (AAP: Brendan Esposito)
But if you constantly justify your decisions with misty-eyed public declarations which ring hollow to your base group of supporters, expect the media to jump on your back about it.

Hayne said on Wednesday he would steer clear of the tendency so many US athletes have of using the 'haters' to inspire him, but he also displayed another habit so prevalent in American sporting culture, invoking religion to explain or justify an athletic narrative.

He is entitled to use Jesus as inspiration, of course, but if he continues to loudly preach what he practices he can expect yet another backlash from run-of-the-mill Australian sports fans who don't necessarily believe God is as infatuated with the weekly NRL fixtures as the rest of us are.

Hayne is right in noting that if he does his talking on the field, he will win over fans again, so his smartest move now would be to follow his own advice.

Because if there's anything Australians love more than cutting down big-dreaming tall poppies, it's watching them pick themselves up again and genuinely having another go.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...ayne-but-want-sincerity/7783768?section=sport

I think we'll all come out of this a little bit wiser. I for one never truly appreciated the fact that Jesus never actually lost his shit. Thanks, Jarryd.