What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Nighingale

Just a little snippet from the last article I read that I thinks been overlooked a bit.

Only four NRL players have ever done this.
Played 250 games.
30 internationals
Scored 100 tries.
Won a premiership.

Brad Fitler, Billy Slater, Darren Lockyer......and our Jason Nightingale.

Now I'm sure none of us would put Jason in that company as a player, but that is one hell of an achievement.

ouryears

Bench
Gypsy is a such a great player and an absolute role model who giveis his heart & soul to the team. He epitomises the type of person & player that makes you proud to be a Dragons fan. Congratulations Champ!
He is a great player and great man
After the 2010 grand final my 7 yr old yelled out ....can I have a hug Nighty?

Gypsy came over and gave him a hug, tears in his eyes and said thanks for coming today guys and I hope we made you happy.

Just a team legend.

I hope the club can manage gypsys future with class

Last edited:

Gypsy came over and gave him a hug, tears in his eyes and said thanks for coming today guys and I hope we made you happy.

Jus a team legend.

They gave Wendell the "ambassadorship" role after he played with us for two years, I'm not sure you'd find a more deserving player for that role in the future.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Good on you Jason.
You are a a true Saint.
When they cut you , you bleed red and white.
Mate it's been a pleasure to see play all these year.
A true star on the field and a gentleman off.
I Will never forget your effort in the 2010 grand final.
Lets get a win for Jason tonight and hopefully he will get a try or two.

Last edited:

Just a team legend.

Wow...very touching.
Epitomizes everything the club should uphold and treasure.
Thank you for sharing that moment in time.

Mark D

Juniors
Firstly I hope we win tonight and that secondly Jason’s amongst the tries... What outstanding and loyal service Jason has given to the red V ... Consistent hard worker on the field and never any nonsense off it... Congrat Gypsy... go well

getsmarty

Immortal

nightingale-250_20180405.jpg

Loyalty a two-way street for Nightingale and Dragons

Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Thu 5 Apr 2018, 03:01 PM

Jason Nightingale never wanted to leave St George Illawarra so he'll be forever grateful to the Dragons for allowing him to reach his 250-match milestone as a one-club player.

On several occasions when Nightingale had been off contract there had been temptation to venture elsewhere, but he couldn’t see himself wearing anything other than the Red V. And neither could the club.

The club junior and 2010 premiership winner will return to where it all began at Jubilee Oval to celebrate his milestone when the Dragons host the Rabbitohs on Friday night.

It was just over a decade ago when Nightingale ran out onto the field at Kogarah for his first time, making his debut against the Panthers in round eight of the 2007 season.

On home soil for another big occasion, "Gypsy" has been honoured for his achievement with his signature embroidered onto his treasured No.5 jersey that has seen him through a tremendous career.

"To be able to play 250 top-grade games for this great club is something I never thought I'd be able to achieve and something I feel very grateful to be able to have achieved," he said.

"My affiliation with this club is something that’s helped me a good stead and has been a big part of the player I am today.

Nightingale: It’s very exciting

"When you are at a club for a long time you get that affiliation and you feel part of the place and it's pretty hard to want to leave."

The quiet achiever has represented the New Zealand Kiwis since 2008 which has made him a hot commodity among various NRL clubs, with the New Zealand Warriors and Cronulla Sharks putting offers on the table over the years.

"When you come off contract you have to look at your options, but I suppose number one, I never wanted to leave and number two, the club's always been great in negotiation, they've always come to the table," Nightingale said.

"It means a lot to be a part of this club for so long and the people that have been here with me since day one and players that have come and gone have really made this place very special for myself and have helped that decision along the way.

"Every time I am off contract my number one goal is to stay here and play for the Dragons. It's been a pretty easy deal to be done, multiple times."

Coming up against the Bunnies is significant for a few reasons.

"My 150th game was against Souths and my 200th was against Souths and this will be another great occasion against the Rabbitohs and I'm very privileged to be able to play here at Kogarah," Nightingale said.

nightingalej-7050411-i.jpg

Jason Nightingale scores on debut in 2007 at Kogarah. :copyright:NRL Photos
Paul McGregor described the last four years of coaching Nightingale as "an honour" and "a blessing".

"It's an outstanding achievement when you look at Jason's career. He's scored over 100 tries, he's won a premiership, 250 games and 30 Tests I think he's one of four that have done that," McGregor said.

"An outstanding achievement from a very good person. He's got a strong character. Every time he takes the field, he's never beaten."

Nightingale's 250th

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/05...-nightingale-and-st-george-illawarra-dragons/

Latest posts