What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason Nightingale 2017

since77

Juniors
Since77 nailed it. If he's given half a chance, he's still the best finisher we have. However if he's given no quality ball, or trying to help out halves who play east-west, he'll struggle (like anyone).

Gitano has summed it up better than me - he's the best finisher we have, and he hasn't had decent ball for years. Any winger would have struggled at the end of our impotent attack.

Nightingale has never been a winger to sprint 50 + metres for a try. Give him good ball 10-15 metres out and he'll get the job done better than most.

monsterkev

Juniors
We must not have any other wngers at the club
Nighty might be a good bloke but everyone wants the juniors to get a run and this is one position that should be given to a youngster
Time is up for him age and speed are against him
It is only delaying the development of the juniors

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think Nighty would admit he had a pretty average 2016, however, with the structures we had it was unlikely that he would have seen much clear ball anyway. He's the type of player that likes to get his hands on the ball and sometimes that's to his detriment such as his dummy half runs.
For mine, I think 2017 will be his last, wether that is retirement or maybe he'll even move on (Warriors maybe but I can't see that) in any case, he needs to step up in the first 5-6 rounds especially if we do have new attacking structures (yet to believe, but let's be optimistic) and don't forget he's one of our best defenders in the backline.
Yes there are some youngsters waiting for their chance, but with all sentiment aside, Nighty would be one of the first names on the team sheet.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Flo should be the first picked and not forced into retirement because of an inept coach and his game plans. He may not be the fastest winger but he never has been, but he is still one of the best wingers in the game and one of the best finishers.

since77

Juniors
We must not have any other wngers at the club
Nighty might be a good bloke but everyone wants the juniors to get a run and this is one position that should be given to a youngster
Time is up for him age and speed are against him
It is only delaying the development of the juniors

Name this imaginary younger winger at the club better than Nightingale?

Highland Saint

Juniors
With his experience and game smarts I have no problem with him seeing out this year. Performances permitting. That game last year against the panthers when he stole the ball off their player and ran 50m to score showed he still has it.

KiamaSaint

Coach
See how Nighty goes by round 12. I think he'll know if times up? He is definitely slower and being targeted and overrun by oppositions though.
Round 12? I am writing this outside in the heat of the day. If this summer heat in the preseason hasn't told Flo his time is coming to an end he may well be up for another contract extension :).

monsterkev

Juniors
1) kurt mann
2)Nene mcdonald
Keeping noghtingale beyond this season is not the way forward
Everyone is saying promote juniors
Well this is the way for it to happen
Wait to long those juniors go elsewhere as has happened already then we all sit back and whinge about it
I would rather move a player on
Even if we cant keep dugan because he wants to much money,there is already at least half a dozen players in the squad that could take his place at fullback or centre
I know nighty is a crowd favourite and all but beyond this season is a no from me

ALSGI

Bench
There aint any other wingers better in terms of achievment, experience, comittment and nouse.
However, there's plenty others I'd rather see in space, in our own half that will make it first to the try line and turn a game on it's head.

TruSaint

Referee
With his experience and game smarts I have no problem with him seeing out this year. Performances permitting. That game last year against the panthers when he stole the ball off their player and ran 50m to score showed he still has it.

I agree mate.. he still has it.. I think the majority of members here would agree he should leave the club on his terms. Be it 1 year or 2... Cant see it being more.

And i dont think its a rubbish thread ( as was mentioned above ) , as its very pertinent about one of our most loyal players and where he fits moving forward. .

Nothing worse than seeing a club ( 1 club ) legend , being dropped or let go. As i said already, he is way too classy for that.

Best of luck Flo.

monsterkev

Juniors
There aint any other wingers better in terms of achievment, experience, comittment and nouse.
However, there's plenty others I'd rather see in space, in our own half that will make it first to the try line and turn a game on it's head.
Yes i agree he has experience and has been good for saints in the past however his form last year would have been his worst and i hope it is not the beginning of the end for him
Whether it is the coach or just not getting quality ball or whatever
Kalifa Fai Fai Slower
I cant understand why we even signed him

Old Timer

Coach
Last year early he played LW which was not easy for him and then reverted back to the RW his preferred side.
No doubt his positional smarts are high quality but sides did start to target the RS but Benji being there was more likely the reason but it wasn't great regardless.
If the centres make a break (oh god please let them make a break) and he is there terrific if not well that is when the question will arise.

mickeylane

Bench
Nightingale is still one of the top 3 finishes in the NRL period!! he's still our best winger just a little slower .. I still think he can play through comfortably in 2017 - 2018 becomes a question though...

possm

Coach
There is no doubt Nightingale has been a top line player and a great Club man for the Dragons. I do think he is in his final year at the Dragons but still has a lot to offer in the ESL. Two years left on a sizable pay increase before retirement.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Last I saw he played for NZ and played well. Why any doubt over this legend of the club. He deserves to go out in his terms and should be the first man picked. He is also the type who will always put the club first so when he thinks he is not up to it I am sure he will go. Whether it be at the end of 2017 nobody knows but him. Not up to us or anyone else to make that decision but himself.

SGMax

Juniors
Not sure if he was injured, but Kidwell dropped Nightingale for the 4 Nations final.
Maybe he didn't play as well as some think.
For mine, his lack of speed is a concern especially when we could keep players like Dufty Milne/Aitken and Mann in first grade on the wing while opportunities develop elsewhere.
All these are faster than Nightingale they have all played wing before and speed is something the team needs desperately.
Its a shame but I hope the team is put before individual players.