JDB

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by VodkaSaint, Feb 19, 2017.

1. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

Was it his first game of the season or had he had a trial game before that one?

2. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

Back on topic, David Riccio on twitter tweeting that the club is close to announcing JDB will be re-signing for next season. Good news IMO.

ALSGI, Qdf and dragonssamy61 like this.
  3. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

Hope your right mate....

dragonssamy61 likes this.
  4. Blood Shot Eyes

Blood Shot Eyes Bench

Im not to sure re Hunt either to be honest..hope he proves us wrong when he finally gets here.....thought JDB had his best game for us that I have seen

Qdf likes this.
  5. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

Doc
    Yep, you nailed it.
    The only thing I'd add to your last line is 'now'

Qdf likes this.
  6. ALSGI

ALSGI Juniors

Some good points for and against by all.

Despite his impressive defence which I've always admired I think his metres gained were mostly nullified with a lack of any intention for off loading - hence very predictable, and turning his back into defence - hence stopping his roll on and slowing the attack. I remember times when players like Quinlan, Rein, Widdop and even Flo would chase him looking for an off load, quick play the ball but that was a long time ago - nobody bothers anymore.

Stats were awesome all round, defence was great, attack was terrible.

If he can produce the kind of game we saw in the last two trials consistently then I say he's a keeper, otherwise ..... sorry Jack.

7. BrissyRedV

BrissyRedV Bench

I didn't want to mention the coach, but I will. Its obvious the players instructions are ball control, play the possession game. Mez is a prime example of this in 2015. In 2015 he had 19 offloads total at 1 per game and then in 2016 he had 56 total at 2.2 per game. His biggest asset was nullified by the coach. JDB has a great offload on him and it needs to be utilised. We have a number of players that would benefit from a licence to offload and it would greatly improve our attack.

ALSGI, emu62 and dragonssamy61 like this.
  8. j0nesy

j0nesy Bench

I rate him, always have. Don't think he'll ever be a world beater but is an above average first grader and fringe rep player. Mary doesn't play him well. That prop and pass play is used far too often.

9. VodkaSaint

VodkaSaint Juniors

yep, Im still drinking

10. SaintElroy

SaintElroy Juniors

Every team needs a JDB. I'm glad he is ours

Qdf and dragonssamy61 like this.
  11. BlackDuckSaint

BlackDuckSaint Juniors

He is leading the team song now with Creagh retired. That seems fitting to me

12. VodkaSaint

VodkaSaint Juniors

hope contracts are extended asap

13. SaintHarry

SaintHarry Juniors

Jack is a the new and improved the ungraded lance Thompson

14. dragonrickjs

dragonrickjs Juniors

I hope it is for more then one year

BrissyRedV likes this.
  15. 2010

2010 Juniors

I believe that he has signed a three year deal to be announced this week. He has some work to do regarding leading the players in the war chant

Frank Facer likes this.
  16. Frank Facer

Frank Facer Juniors

I have been saying for a few years now that I think DeBelin's career has been very badly miss managed. When he came into grade I thought he looked like the best forward prospect that we have had since Gordon Tallis. It took him until last year to finally lock down a starting position. I would have had him at lock when Merrin was still at our club, I would have been playing Merrin at prop. In the Charity Shield and today's game, Debelin is finally starting to live up to the expectations that I had for him when Price was here coaching us. He is tough, he has great defence, he has a good offload, he has a high work rate and now he is starting to run with more determination, more purpose and more intent. I thought he was a potential origin player at the start of last year, but he did not live up to my expectations. If he continues in this vein of form that he has started the year off with, then he could push for NSW lock. I think he is made for origin. I would love to see him there. Frizzell at second row and Debelin at lock for NSW sounds good to me.

If he can continue in this form then I would have him very high up on the list as our next captain.

I had JDB in my super coach team last year and he is in this year's team too. He had a great start a score of 104. Keep it up Jack.

Qdf likes this.
  17. since77

since77 Juniors

His improvement is down to one thing - he has inherited Dugan's beard.....

18. Rookiedragon1

Rookiedragon1 Juniors

Best game I've seen jdb play by far,reminded me a bit of Corey Parker

19. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

Jack De Belin's potential was always limitless. He is so strong and when he pins his ears back he can crunch serious metres up the middle. As Frank said, he has been severely mismanaged over the past few years. It's not his job to turn his back to the defensive line and look for a pass, it's his job to run straight at the defensive line and break someone's face.
    I was one of the first ones to call for him to be moved on and I am now wiping the egg off my face. If he plays like he did today and in the CS for the rest of the year then he is worth the contract extension. I am still cautiously optimistic, but on his best day, JDB is Origin quality.

20. BlackDuckSaint

BlackDuckSaint Juniors

In the Tele, they summed him up pretty well in the player ratings.
    "has the footwork of the ballerina in a sledgehammer's body"

ALSGI and BrissyRedV like this.