What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jewels fit for a Crown

kit66

Bench
I suppose my post is a bit like a rhetorical question.
I wonder how many of the jewels I have named would actually be playing regular 1st grade in 2019 let alone 2020 if Bellamy was already at our club.
In fact I daresay some would already be there for 2018.
The end game of my post I suppose is that, if Mc Fookknuckle is still here in 2020 we will have a few rough cut stones left but other clubs will be happily polishing our best jewels whilst our board and coaching staff are all polishing each other.

I'm not sure I get your angle ? All those guys are in the squad of 30 and all have the opportunity to impress. If good enough they'll make it. I can't see that Bellamy or anyone else could have done things any better. I know you hate McGregor but our player development really isn't bad, not at all.
The reality is 7 or 8 of your 13 jewels have had a taste of 1sts and any one of those 8 could be playing round 1 this year, they're ready now. The reasons they haven't played more are varied, some have players ahead of them who've earned their spot, some, like Leilua simply needed more time in the lower grade, some are being eased into 1sts.
Dufty - was behind Duges but has forced his way into the team and will likely be our long term fb if he keeps up the good work.
Mann - regular mr fix it but should be a regular centre.
Field - behind Duges and Dufty and was too inexperienced to oust McCrone ( may not make 1sts this year unless there's an injury or he absolutely kills it in Reserves and forces his way into a starting spot somewhere ).
Sele - Was eased in last year now a regular on the bench.
Host - Ready to step up but faces a bit of competition.
Leilua - will very likely be given an opportunity in 1sts this year and sooner rather than later.
Lawrie - 5 games last year - easing him in, will likely get more games this year.
Kerr - ( did he get a run last year - I forget ) a great young prospect, should get some time in 1sts this year and hopefully get him re-signed for a few more years.

Of the others, they'll likely have to prove themselves further to have a chance of unseating those ahead of them and if good enough will be given a shot at some stage. Maybe not this year but more than likely next year.

Garrick - must be close, just unlucky to have others ahead of him.
Lomax - just turned 18 last September. The sensible thing to do is see how he goes in Reserves. No coach would risk throwing him into the deep end when there's the reserves option. As good a prospect as he is we just aren't that desperate yet. Will be ready by 2019 without question. Hopefully sooner but I wouldn't sweat it.
Marsters - same as above.
Sailor - Similar to above but needs work and experience and would have to improve a real lot to unseat those ahead of him.
Robson - same as Sailor. Will be an understudy and hopefully get the training and direction he needs in reserves.

Overall I think we're headed in the right direction, we have a great young crop in the squad this year. Also don't forget our recruitment and retention is also on the up - we've attracted an A Class halfback and a great forward leader in Graham as well as Vaughan, Sims and McInnes last year while weeding out underachievers like Rein, McCrone, Quinlan and Benji. And re-signed most of our best players to long term contracts. We're in good shape, no need to panic at this stage.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I'm not sure I get your angle ? All those guys are in the squad of 30 and all have the opportunity to impress. If good enough they'll make it. I can't see that Bellamy or anyone else could have done things any better. I know you hate McGregor but our player development really isn't bad, not at all.
The reality is 7 or 8 of your 13 jewels have had a taste of 1sts and any one of those 8 could be playing round 1 this year, they're ready now. The reasons they haven't played more are varied, some have players ahead of them who've earned their spot, some, like Leilua simply needed more time in the lower grade, some are being eased into 1sts.
Dufty - was behind Duges but has forced his way into the team and will likely be our long term fb if he keeps up the good work.
Mann - regular mr fix it but should be a regular centre.
Field - behind Duges and Dufty and was too inexperienced to oust McCrone ( may not make 1sts this year unless there's an injury or he absolutely kills it in Reserves and forces his way into a starting spot somewhere ).
Sele - Was eased in last year now a regular on the bench.
Host - Ready to step up but faces a bit of competition.
Leilua - will very likely be given an opportunity in 1sts this year and sooner rather than later.
Lawrie - 5 games last year - easing him in, will likely get more games this year.
Kerr - ( did he get a run last year - I forget ) a great young prospect, should get some time in 1sts this year and hopefully get him re-signed for a few more years.

Of the others, they'll likely have to prove themselves further to have a chance of unseating those ahead of them and if good enough will be given a shot at some stage. Maybe not this year but more than likely next year.

Garrick - must be close, just unlucky to have others ahead of him.
Lomax - just turned 18 last September. The sensible thing to do is see how he goes in Reserves. No coach would risk throwing him into the deep end when there's the reserves option. As good a prospect as he is we just aren't that desperate yet. Will be ready by 2019 without question. Hopefully sooner but I wouldn't sweat it.
Marsters - same as above.
Sailor - Similar to above but needs work and experience and would have to improve a real lot to unseat those ahead of him.
Robson - same as Sailor. Will be an understudy and hopefully get the training and direction he needs in reserves.

Overall I think we're headed in the right direction, we have a great young crop in the squad this year. Also don't forget our recruitment and retention is also on the up - we've attracted an A Class halfback and a great forward leader in Graham as well as Vaughan, Sims and McInnes last year while weeding out underachievers like Rein, McCrone, Quinlan and Benji. And re-signed most of our best players to long term contracts. We're in good shape, no need to panic at this stage.
The angle is simple.
With what we have, we should have secured the best coach in the comp.
We have our jewels in the hands of a total incompetent.
We should be understanding and realising their potential now and in the immediate future but we keep hindering them.
What happened with Leilua last year an absolute joke as was all the early hype and subsequent nothingness of Field and what was the idea of dropping Host back to reggies to try and win that comp?
Lawrie, Kerr (didn't get a game last year) and co may get a game from Mc Fookknuckle but the slightest error will se them back to reggies and the elevation of Latimore & Allgood who have at best a year in them.
Bellamy and a few others would have very clear pathways in place and we persisted with the Mc Crone's, Marketo's and under performers like Nene.
We could have and others would have done a lot more last year with the young talent on hand.

denis preston

First Grade
The real jewel in our premiership crown will be Hasler. As soon as the Club bites the bullet and employs a top grade coaching staff, the sooner our young guns and team in general will rise to the top of the ladder.
You did see what he did at the Bulldogs ? Particularly note how they played in the last 3 games after they stopped listening to him. I know that almost anyone is better than the guy we have now but IMO not Hasler.

denis preston

First Grade
The statistics on U20 players then playing NRL are scary.Out of the 13 players nominated , history tells us we will be lucky to get 2 or 3 playing regular NRL. I know Dufty , lawrie , etc have played NRL but I am talking about long term NRL careers. Remember how good Evander Cummings, Richie Williams etc looked in reserves & u20 but couldn't cut the mustard in higher company. Still applaud the club for pathways program but lets be aware of the chances the younger players have whilst hoping we secure more than 3 out of the 13 that make it. Outsourcing of players will still be a vital component of our teams makeup.

Old Timer

Coach
The statistics on U20 players then playing NRL are scary.Out of the 13 players nominated , history tells us we will be lucky to get 2 or 3 playing regular NRL. I know Dufty , lawrie , etc have played NRL but I am talking about long term NRL careers. Remember how good Evander Cummings, Richie Williams etc looked in reserves & u20 but couldn't cut the mustard in higher company. Still applaud the club for pathways program but lets be aware of the chances the younger players have whilst hoping we secure more than 3 out of the 13 that make it. Outsourcing of players will still be a vital component of our teams makeup.
DP I agree and have said previously there is a caveat on whether in the end they are good enough to make it at NRL level.
The names I have used have all been put forward at different times by different posters as being young players possessed of talent.
My point is let's get someone who can sort the wheat from the chaff and mould the keepers and move the others on, on the proviso we bothered to find out if they had the talent or not.
Maybe not all will be jewels but at the moment we have no idea and this forum runs amok with the yes he is no he isn't arguments.
So we need to find out the facts and Mc Fookknuckle and Co are simply not capable of doing any of that.

denis preston

First Grade
Still think the pathways program has a big road block: The coaches.

The advantage in securing juniors is they are initially cheap. The secret is when to pounce and upgrade contracts to keep opposition teams raiding your best prospects. So far Millward has done this very well. To really make good money out of the game Host , Sele,Lawrie, Dufty & Field need to have breakout years or they will end up as a reserve for a weak club or in the first or second tier in England.To have a breakout year you need to be given the opportunity.

Old Timer

Coach
I suppose my post is a bit like a rhetorical question.
I wonder how many of the jewels I have named would actually be playing regular 1st grade in 2019 let alone 2020 if Bellamy was already at our club.
In fact I daresay some would already be there for 2018.
The end game of my post I suppose is that, if Mc Fookknuckle is still here in 2020 we will have a few rough cut stones left but other clubs will be happily polishing our best jewels whilst our board and coaching staff are all polishing each other.
Still appropriate IMO.

Latest posts