What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jim Doyles Big 13

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Awesome read, cheers R&S. I have to admit I fell off Jim a bit with the whole keeping McFudd on as assistant and the god awful quotes about we're not going that badly finishing 10th/others are better, but a lot of respect for things he's said there. Ultimately I think he made the joint a better place and contributed to what is happening this year.

So many interesting points. Yeah, #2 we could name them (and a couple of juniors who are still here and trying to become professional after starting out unprofessional). I find it interesting that Kearney didn't want McFudd, and that Doyle eventually got his way. #9 was a 'aha' moment for me - that RTS being named captain was (as we said on here) about keeping him long-term. Fairly sure they denied that at the time but it was clearly always a long-term strategy. And good on them, he stayed and he's a fine captain now. #11 sounds like a shit storm with Foran. How much did we not hear? We got shafted as fans on that. And #13...my own personal favourite. Shows what sort of bloke Jim is, and also what sort of person Wayne Scurrah was. Probably had the frosting put up himself.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Awesome quick read, on my phone, in the toilet lol.

Really revealing. Nah I've grown to like Doyle as he is loyal (rhymes). Good hardworking bloke.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Sure looks like we dodged a huge bullet with Foran
I remember when he came off contract the first time and signed with the Eels. I was dirty as all hell that we didn't go harder for him. Turned out to be a blessing as he only came for a year for some quick cash and a holiday from the spotlight

#2 professional group and non professional.
You would think it would be a simple fix of explaining expectations to individuals and dropping those who don't and explaining to the younger guys why others picked.
But moving on those and recruiting has worked well.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
#2 professional group and non professional.
You would think it would be a simple fix of explaining expectations to individuals and dropping those who don't and explaining to the younger guys why others picked.
But moving on those and recruiting has worked well.

I think the big takeaway from that is how there are three groups there not two- the professionals, the unprofessionals and the ones who want to be professional but are being badly lead/influenced. It underscores the importance of weeding the second group out, because they drag the third group down with them- who can otherwise be managed up to professional level. We've seen a lot of players at the Warriors over the years who've been in that third group when at our club who've gone elsewhere and achieved proper professionalism with the right guidance. Now we're starting to see it happen at home, finally.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Good on Jim for including the Foran affair in there too. A lot of people with less integrity would have concentrated on things they regarded as sucesses and not publicly copped to mistakes like that.

JJ

Immortal
Good on Jim for including the Foran affair in there too. A lot of people with less integrity would have concentrated on things they regarded as sucesses and not publicly copped to mistakes like that.
Yep, he doesn't seem to be a narcissist

Obviously changing the culture is huge, and that seems well underway - personnel-wise RTS and Harris were huge - signing them when clubs with established and ongoing expected (and delivered) success wanted to keep them really was pretty amazing - helped that they're kiwis of course, but amazing as it was a huge risk for them

George, Smith and Henry are huge too, and while I remain a Kearney doubter it doesn't all rest with him so establishing the right expertise and support around him is huge

Anyway, I certainly doubted, but the ducks seem to be lining up, and the current NRL table isn't one I thought we'd see the likes of for a while

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Commiserations on the storm game btw, I think it was an anomaly but no disrespect to the storm, they are a class footy act.
Being a storm fan (and a rapidly progressing warrior one - although not a bandwagonner lol) I'm kind of bemused that of the points highlighted by Doyle noone has brought up that of all the players other than RTS the other key signing he mentions is Harris. I really don't think most of you do not realise that apart from his skills on the paddock that people don't realise his influence. You guys have a gem...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don’t think anyone underrated how good Harris is. When any player leaves the Storm there’s always the question of whether they can carry that form or fall apart once they’re out of the system. Harris is still 100% the player he was at the Storm and it was notable that our worst performance of the year was the one game he’s missed so far. He’s immense.
And on the same note I also think this is the year where Kearney is finally getting to apply the coaching methods he learned there properly and we’re seeing the results of that.