What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jnr Paulo returning.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Fair call.

I think Paulo is precisely what we need- we have some great workers, and we have a guy in Evans with great speed and line-breaking ability, but lack punch, and pure brute strength.

I think Junior Paulo offers us what we are missing in attack.

He is not a great defender, though.
Yeah. His ability to bend the line will be important.

He’s a f**kwit though and doesn’t have a great attitude.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Fair call.

I think Paulo is precisely what we need- we have some great workers, and we have a guy in Evans with great speed and line-breaking ability, but lack punch, and pure brute strength.

You mean he isn't a bulk defender.
He isn't bad at keeping his place in the line and stopping that which runs towards him, but he's not a high workrate defender. He won't be surging forward and looking for more tackles.
Partner him with an Alvaro or Mannah type and his low defensive workrate won't be noticed

hindy111

Post Whore
Fair call.

We have some good workers, not great. Guys like Woods currently and Graheme/Tamou in their prime where great workers.
Alvaro and Mannah are far from that level.

TheRam

Coach
If McLean is on around 6-700k then I consider that to be on overs, considering that he is good, but he is a very one dimensional player. Not overly aggressive and hasn't got an offload in him. Junior is on about what he is worth at 6-700k when he is playing to his abilities.

hindy111

Post Whore
If McLean is on around 6-700k then I consider that to be on overs, considering that he is good, but he is a very one dimensional player. Not overly aggressive and hasn't got an offload in him. Junior is on about what he is worth at 6-700k when he is playing to his abilities.

Agree I see Mclean as a good player who was in a great team.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You mean he isn't a bulk defender.
He isn't bad at keeping his place in the line and stopping that which runs towards him, but he's not a high workrate defender. He won't be surging forward and looking for more tackles.
Partner him with an Alvaro or Mannah type and his low defensive workrate won't be noticed

Yeah - that's what I meant.

His work-rate and mobility are a bit of a liability.

lingard

Coach
I disagree.

Me too. I think if we had a couple of star forwards (like, say, Fifita, Woods, Gallen, James Graham, Sam Burgess, etc) and added them to our pack, then Mannah, Brown, Moeroa, Edwards, Mau, Alvaro, etc would grow an extra leg. Not literally, of course. If they did that, they wouldn't be much good to us. (Imagine Mannah trying to grubber into the in-goal with three legs.)

lingard

Coach
Okay, so we've got a big mobile forward. That's very good. Now we still need a representative (current) level forward to complete our pack. And if he's not a hooker, then we need a hooker as well.