Joel Thompson Announcement

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by MrDragon007, Oct 17, 2017.

1. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

Just got word back that the T's are getting crossed and the I's are getting dotted on Thompos deal with another club.
    Announcement to be made before the end of next week, it wont be dragging out any longer then that.
    Very reliable source and he is 100% certain Thomos departure is a done deal.
    Before the end of next week it will be announced.

ouryear likes this.
  2. Alec's-saints

Alec's-saints Juniors

happy days. we only want genuine origin & international players only. who will replace him?

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and ouryear like this.
  3. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

Do you know who is signing him?

ouryear likes this.
  4. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

he wouldnt say, just gave the smartass "whys it matter who he signs for? All that matters is he wont be at the dragons" and this guy is 100% reliable. When he says something is happening, its happening, he has so much contacts within so many NRL clubs he is in the know.
    He doesnt give away too much, but knowing my passion about the saints he told me Thomo is 100% gone and it will be confirmed/announced before the end of next week.

5. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

My bet would be Sims. And thats a pretty good upgrade.
    Theres also Host who has shown he is capable and Leilua if they are willing to give him a shot.

6. BringTheNoise

BringTheNoise Juniors

If this is true then I look forward to all the posts from everyone about how we would be paying overs, he's injury prone, we're better off without him etc.....

ouryear and Saint_JimmyG like this.
  7. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

If the reported figure of $575k a season over is true then that is overs for him imo.
    Good player but not worth that much. And i dont think anyone should throw the injury prone line at him as he was a soldier.
    Dugan is a prime example of injury prone, Thomo is on the end of the scale in that category imo.
    Good luck to him, Sims will hold the fort without an issue imo and Host and / or Leilua can step up and add some variety when they are on.

8. Como Connection

Como Connection Juniors

Agree
    Sims can find the try line.
    How many times has Joel been pulled down 2 metres out!
    If only the field was only 98 metres he would be a try scoring machine.
    CC

9. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

Its not just that CC, Widdop offer beautifull short balls to Thomo alot, Thomo, to me, isnt the hardest of runners.
    Those short balls to a barnstorming Sims and he is through!
    Little aspects like that in attack make a big difference, but in Defence i think Thomo has a slight edge over Sims.
    Sims will score plenty of tries in 2018 if he is Thomos replacement imo.

10. Alec's-saints

Alec's-saints Juniors

maybe angus Crichton

Dragsters, ouryear and Country Dragon like this.
  11. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

Unfortunately no chance.

WoyD4LWoy and Saint_JimmyG like this.
  12. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

I thought I'd try the we're stuffed without him, we'll go backwards, shoulda been captain, what's Millward doing angle for a change.

Life's Good likes this.
  13. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

Thompson running off Ben Hornby would have been unstoppable, I am afraid I didn't see all these beautiful short balls. Widdop does not run straight or to the line that's why his runners find it hard to break the line. Someone like JT or Cronk are willing to go to the line, draw the defender and take the hit to open the hole.

14. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

For the record, I liked Thommo and don't think he reached his potential because of limitations within the team and the coaching. I don't begrudge him moving on if it sets him up and hope we find someone even better to replace him.

15. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

I disagree, Widdops runs sideways alot, and an accessory of sideways running is short balls to your outside men.
    Thomo got alot, as did Lafai. Sims will be a bulldozer running off those balls.

16. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

You can't just run sideways, you have to straighten and play at the line if you are trying to bring runners through on an unders (from outside in) line. If you just crab sideways you drag the defence and their is no gap, you have to hold up the slide somehow and play late so the defence can't adjust if they have misread.

WoyD4LWoy, j0nesy, ouryear and 3 others like this.
  17. Carlton

Carlton Juniors

I also like Sims, both he and Thommo have a bit of aggression which we need. But if you look at the stats Thommo scored 9 tries, Sims 3 and every other stat including tackle breaks was pretty similar. Sims did play closer to the middle a lot and I think playing solely as a secondrower he will score more tries. At the end of the day I see them as being very similar.

ouryear, Qdf and dragonssamy61 like this.
  18. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

Shame, I like Thommo a lot. He's good without being exceptional and he's done a job for us for many years.

If the price discussed here is true, then it is overs. Plain and simple. The elite second-rowers in the game get close to the 600k mark and Thommo is definitely not in that calibre. Good luck to him!

19. red rocket

red rocket Juniors

Perhaps Cronk is going to South's thommo to manly and young Angus to us just a thought

Dragsters, ouryear and jak like this.
  20. TomRedVRiver

TomRedVRiver Juniors

If I were Souths, I would rather lock up Angus for the next few years than sign Cronk for one year.

He will deadset be the best second-rower in the world in the next couple of years, if he isn't pushing that already.

Rabbits20, ouryear, jak and 1 other person like this.