Joel Thompson Announcement

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by MrDragon007, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Coffs dragon

Coffs dragon Juniors

OKB just stating the obvious I believe:v:

Old Kogarah Boy 1 and WoyD4LWoy like this.
  2. Outlaw Pete

Outlaw Pete Juniors

If he goes I hope the Club has lined up someone.preferably someone with pace.

3. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

No qld redvee, there are no issues or bad blood between thomo and the club.
    Just a better offer was made for him and a longer term deal offered by a rival club.
    For all the dumb shit our club does, they actually understood thomos situation and agreed to let him go and earn the bigger dollars and set himself up.
    As for Host, i wouldnt mind that, although id much prefer a committed and dedicated Leilua, if he has a big off season i really believe he can be a HUGE X-factor for us in 2018.

4. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

Replaced by Sims... and either Leilua or Host get the bench spot. Thats a pretty good alternative right there.

5. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

Well, souths wont exactly let him go that easily without a fight, Salary cap space, loosing the juniors that we have i.e Host Leilua etc if we get him, we wont even make a play for him, id be certain of that.
    We have the cattle to cover backrow, and we have depth, with the right coach these guys will hold the forte for many years.

ChargingPatJarvis and ouryear like this.
  6. st.phil

st.phil Juniors

Thommo's energy and attitude is his best quality - his talk and line speed are top notch. I presume Graham will take up some of that role within the team. Having a ball playing edge backrower would be an improvement for us

ouryear and Old Kogarah Boy 1 like this.
  7. willzy91

willzy91 Juniors

I think having Leilua & Host in the squad is a must next year, Leilua will add something special off the bench and Host will develop into a great edge forward. Really sucks to see Thommo go, as he has been a loyal servant for the redv in previous years, and i really hope he gets a solid contract to finish his career.

8. Old Kogarah Boy 1

Old Kogarah Boy 1 Juniors

Why is it when other clubs do business, you can rely on them to 'make things happen' to get the business done, sooner rather than later.

Alas, with our beloved Dragons, it takes a wet week ...... or month, ........... or three to get some answers?
    All the other clubs have gone on holidays.
    Were still waiting on a friggin club review ........... and a player transfer or not.
    Complete silence.
    Doust is a tosser of the highest order.
    He makes the KGB look like kids play.

9. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

Doesn't seem very exciting

10. coast_dragons

coast_dragons Coach

If Thompson wants to go then so be it i see no point him staying if he doesn't want to.

Goes to show the whole i don't know what is going on stuff he posted on twitter wasn't the entire truth.

11. MrDragon007

MrDragon007 Juniors

Agree to disagree.... I think Sims will have a big season, back to his devastating best of a few years ago.
    And if Leilua goes hard in the off season, the X factor he will bring off the bench will be awesome.

ouryear and nontime111 like this.
  12. nontime111

nontime111 Juniors

If Leilua beefs up a bit and has the right coaching, I mean if a coach can instill a fearless miugrel attitude in him he CAN be the next Beetson! its all up to him though

13. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

I agree mate...if Leilua goes hard in the off season, just not very confident he will have the grit in the summer heat.

14. Dennis Papaioannou

Dennis Papaioannou Juniors

The review this year is a little tricky.
    Putting a positive spin on one of the greatest fade outs in NRL history will be hard to piece together and still sound credible.
    I am curious to hear what they have to say from McGregor's premature contract extension to the slide out of the 8 and the total embarrassment that followed.
    Should make for interesting reading.

15. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

Why would there be a review?? We finished 9th which is an improvement on 2016 and vindication of the performance committee, coaches extension and conducting no review.

16. hewi

hewi Juniors

Loved Thommo and sorry to see him go. After the last round defeat by the dogs he was squatting on the ground and looked shattered. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was similar to Soward who figured out what a goose Price was and Thommo had that epiphany moment when he realised that as long as McGregor was there the team was going nowhere so time to move on. Good luck to him. Similar to Nightingale great club man.

Life's Good likes this.
  17. getsmarty

getsmarty First Grade

Correct...I will not be surprised if there is no review....the silence is deafening.

18. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

That is exactly what they will say.
    Also we will learn from it and it will make us a better team next year.
    All the experts picks us to be bottom four .
    So we did great.
    Unfortunately it would be funny if it wasn't true

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  19. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

It’s just rinse and repeat unfortunately.

20. watatank

watatank Coach

It's probably already done. Just waiting for the right time to sneak the news through...like during the World Cup.

As for Thompson going or not, isn't that really a matter for his potential new club? It's pretty clear where the club stands on this. Thompson will just see out his contract and will be released if someone else offers him a better deal.