What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joel Thompson Announcement

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons grant Thompson release
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 22 Dec 2017, 10:30 AM

St George Illawarra have today granted Joel Thompson a release from the final season of his Dragons playing contract.

Thompson and his management requested the early release to seek long-term security for he and his family in the NRL.

Thompson's release has now enabled him to take up a multi-year deal at another NRL club ahead of the 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

"Joel and his management approached us about the long-term future he had at the Dragons. It was apparent Joel was looking to secure a long-term contract for his family beyond 2018," Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

"We wanted Joel as part of our Top 30 this season so obviously we had a big decision to make. We said all along that we didn't want him to leave but we did respect what he was doing for his family long-term which is why we hesitantly granted him that permission.

"However we're very confident – with Tyson Frizell, Tariq Sims, Luciano Leilua and Jacob Host – that we have the depth in the back row to replace Joel."

The 29-year-old played 85 NRL games for the Dragons over the past four seasons, and said he was grateful for the club's understanding in granting him his requested release.

"It's an emotional day leaving this great club. But with three girls and a young family I had to make that decision [to request a release]," Thompson said.

"It's going to be really tough leaving the staff, the players and the fans. Everyone has been unbelievable to me and I can't thank them enough.

"I've not only grown as a footballer but as a person at the Dragons. Everyone has helped me so much and I couldn't be more grateful and thankful for what they've done for me.

"Thank you to the Red V Members and fans for all the support you've given me over the years. I encourage you to get behind this great team. They have plenty of potential and are going to play some really good football," Thompson added.

"That was another part of my decision, I believe the young guys coming through now will step up, make that role their own and take this club to where it deserves to be."

Millward said the Dragons will now look to fill the void left by Thompson in the club's Top 30 squad.

"We won't be going into the marketplace for a back-rower due to the adequate depth there. But there's plenty of time to work out what position we'll look at," Millward said.

"Something that comes to mind is an outside back. We think we may need a little bolstering there. But we'll take our time, view what's out there and eventually replace Joel – just not with a back-rower."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/12/22/dragons-grant-thompson-release/

giboz71

First Grade
Someone had to go.

Can’t carry Thommo, Friz, Sims, Host and Luc all who can command FG minutes.

At 29, he was the logical choice. Reported on JA that we have around 900k to spend given his departure and Millward has indicated we are after an outside back.

We can nab a pretty good one with that coin.

JDHD

Juniors
I'm just glad that they're openly admitting the outside backs are a concern and that the plan is to adress that with Thommo's replacements.

Belta

Juniors
I am not disappointed with Thompson leaving but suspect we will miss his enthusiasm and try scoring ability. We undoubtly have an over supply of up and coming back rowers and there will be a host of players lining up to fill this vacancy. The recent extension of Leilua may ear mark the clubs intentions to give him some early game time, albeit off the bench to show his wares. Simms or Ah Mau to the starting line up both offer more impact than Thompson.

Will there now be cap space to acquire a quality winger. I'm not sure if this will happen though and suspect there are not many on the market.

Gareth67

First Grade
What a shame , the man added some real steel in the pack . Now that creates a vacancy , to be filled by one of our many promising juniors .

As far as the ' toughness ' factor is concerned , our man Simms will surely fill that role , quite admirably I believe .

Still , the best of luck to Joel , he earned his dollars whilst here at the Dragons .

goggles

Juniors
He was one of my favourite players during his time here. He's not the most gifted athlete by any stretch of the imagination, but he has a bloody big heart and plays with a ton of passion. Thanks for the memories and all the best for the future Joel!

Morotti

Juniors
It makes sense that we would have told Joel he was surplus to requirements after 2018. Surprising if he signed a 2 year deal with Manly though as that would only take him to the end of 2019.

I suppose with Sims being able to play the edge that makes it easier. But as people have said with Leilua resigning and with Sele and Host there surely they will vie for a spot in the 17.

With Nightingale only signed for another year, and thinking he will not go beyond 2018, we should look at Jermaine McGillvary. I know someone mentioned cap space of $900k. I think Thompson was on something like $400k when he first came so we are looking at the very least at $500k. Which dwarfs anything McGillvary would get in super leave I would think. And so at least $500k for year 1 and three years surely we could make him an attractive offer.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Just so people are aware, for Thompson's replacement, i'm assuming that Millward and the recruitment team are going to do something similar to what they did with Graham. Wait for a player to become available due to cap pressure or just wanting an upgrade at a different club.

As it stands, there are no decent outside backs on the market, but over the the month of January and beyond that might change and we could find ourselves landing a quality player at a bargain price. No point speculating who that player might be, but we can all put together out wish-lists!

giboz71

First Grade
Welcome to Saints.... Alex Walmsley

Millwards already indicated we won’t replace him with another forward. Seems we have around 900k to spend on an outside back.

Val Holmes would be handy (if he’s got the shits that Duges and Moylan may take his FB spot).

Pipe dream I know.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Millwards already indicated we won’t replace him with another forward. Seems we have around 900k to spend on an outside back.

Val Holmes would be handy (if he’s got the shits that Duges and Moylan may take his FB spot).

Pipe dream I know.

Just out of curiosity, where did this 900k number come from?

If that's the cash that we have, then happy days.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Just so people are aware, for Thompson's replacement, i'm assuming that Millward and the recruitment team are going to do something similar to what they did with Graham. Wait for a player to become available due to cap pressure or just wanting an upgrade at a different club.

As it stands, there are no decent outside backs on the market, but over the the month of January and beyond that might change and we could find ourselves landing a quality player at a bargain price. No point speculating who that player might be, but we can all put together out wish-lists!

100% tom
Thats why millward said that we must have our top 30 finalized but 30th of April.
Stay tuned.

kit66

Bench
Terrific at running angles, support play and defence. I'm really disappointed to lose him especially to effing Manly who I hate with a passion. He would have benefited from having Hunt on the park next year, could have used his runs close to the line. Good luck to him but I don't see why you'd let a player of his calibre go so easily.
So I guess Sims, Host and Leilua will fight it out for that spot and possibly a couple of other contenders.
I'm not happy with this at all.

Latest posts