What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Grant quits....

beave

Coach
My low level understanding is that both Newy and the GC are costing the NRL a couple of mil each year above the standard grant that each club is paid.

davi

Juniors
And did Gus, Panthers club boss, portion any blame on the clubs or is it ALL the big, bad ARLCs fault?

Gallop is criticised for not having vision, JGrant is criticised for being too ambition....

No not too much ambition, more like talking crap. I would rather NRL win over fans in Sydney, Perth, and Adelaide first before focusing on Beijing, LA, and New York and Grant hasn't even done that.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
I dont waant ANYONE put there by the clubs; if they position is dependent on keeping the clubs happy, they will just be a puppet for Gus, Nick and the rest...

Having said that, this guys name has been floating around since 2012, so he must have something special.

There is a spot representing the club bosses on the Commission yet to be filled, and it wouldnt surprise me at all if they wanted them to work full time as a Chairman-In-Exile. JW might be headed for that...

Keep in mind Peter Beattie was appointed by John Grant not the clubs. Also Peter Beattie has received praise for the way he handled the Gold Coast Commonwealth games. I don't know all the in's and out's and whether it has merit but I presume that's why he was brought on board.

taipan

Referee
Actually I think Wests have because the Wests side of the JV took control in return for paying back Balmain's half of the debt.

Again, can't speak for the Saints, I assume they're in the process of repaying it.

OK, I wasn't certain how the Newcastle sale was structured. Even if they did the same with the Gold Coast you'd imagine that they wouldn't have lost much except for the operational losses that exceeded the club grant. We wouldn't be talking millions upon millions.

Operation costs and debt repayments over a few years,I guess you would be talking millions upon millions.And Tinkles certainly left his mark at the Knights in that regard.
Football departments are not cheap, when the average for coaches would be $500,000 plus pa.

siv

First Grade
It would be interesting to know how much HO building costs have been

NRL Central, NRL QRL HQ, NRL NSWRL HQ

Operation costs and debt repayments over a few years,I guess you would be talking millions upon millions.And Tinkles certainly left his mark at the Knights in that regard.
Football departments are not cheap, when the average for coaches would be $500,000 plus pa.

Yeah I suppose. I thought the club grants had a decent size chunk left over for football operations and it wasn't all dedicated to lining players pockets.

taipan

Referee
Yeah I suppose. I thought the club grants had a decent size chunk left over for football operations and it wasn't all dedicated to lining players pockets.

You will note, the NRL is trying to put a cap on football club admin expenditure.Some clubs spend $4m + pa.Others half that figure.Therein lies part of the problem re club finances.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It would be interesting to know how much HO building costs have been

NRL Central, NRL QRL HQ, NRL NSWRL HQ
What would you suggest they do, run everything from a hole in the ground covered by a tarp?

betcats

Referee
I'm still waiting for someone to explain what benefit the nrl got from Dave Smith massively expanding the nrl staff? What did we get for the two years Shane Richardson was being paid big money by the NRL? Nrl management is a joke, I've no doubt they have been leaking money like nothing else ever since "billion dollar tv deal" was first mentioned.

I mean we just got knocked back for a 30m dollar loan, that says a f**king lot about the state of the nrl.

Warburton is out

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/warburtons-new-job-revealed/

A day after announcing his impending exit from Supercars, James Warburton’s next role has been revealed.

Warburton is set to take on the CEO position at advertising firm APN Outdoor, marking a departure from the sporting landscape and return to the media industry.

The ASX-listed APN Outdoor Group is a leader in outdoor advertising in Australia and New Zealand, boasting 50,000 sites across the two countries.

“I am extremely excited to be back in the media industry, a sector I am passionate about,” said Warburton.

“APN Outdoor has a strong reputation for innovation in the out-of-home industry, demonstrated by its leadership position in digital roadside billboards in Australia and its leadership in New Zealand via the strategic use of data to enhance the value proposition of out-of-home for advertisers.

“I look forward to working with the board, management and staff at APN Outdoor to grow the business, to continue to build on its leading market position, and to provide innovative solutions to support both advertisers and the overall out of home industry.”

Warburton is set to finish with Supercars on December 22 and start in his new role a month later.

He joined Supercars in mid-2013, drawing praise from teams for providing financial sustainability through a period of significant change.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's one side of the equation, but there are other sides also.And the Commission has to bear some of the blame.
Why then was the game getting screwed each time on TV deals prior to 2012,which if had been done properly given the code more money to either bank of play with?
Why prior to 2012 was there no attempt at lobbying Govt to get Sydney stadiums and Parra rebuilt?Yet the fumblers got Govt monies.
Expenses for players wages /SOOTests went up well above CPI,not just the revenue side.No digital dept.or bunker involved prior.No integrity unit either.I'd suggest from 2018 most clubs will be financially secure.
How much was wasted on high flying consultants when Smith carried on like he was in the money world of banking.$600-700,000 pa for some.
How much was wasted on keeping the Knights and Titans from going under.Money lent to Tigers and Dragons.
How much on legals for Parramatta/Sharks.Who recoups the loss on Internationals at Campbelltown this year.
Doubling the number of on field refs, another cost.
Admin can take the blame,so can clubs, so can players who carry on like loons off the field.So can TV stations who controlled a sh*t scheduling .How about a constant negative print media, and the home of rl ch9,who pumps AFL. Player greed? Clubs badly run?

And the AFL expansion via the Lions and Suns has been a costly ,and stagnating exercise exercise,As has the expansion of the Force into WA.TV audiences for AFL in NSW and Old have stagnated at a very low level. You can pin point negatives in every code.The A league to date has stagnant crowd numbers and ditto TV ratings.
Finger pointing is useless ,everyone in the game needs to sit back and examine the part they played in getting the code to the positionit is to date.And get of their a"ses and do something about it.

Pre 2012 game was mostly controlled by tv so no wonder we got screwed on tv deals

No lobbying govt as the game has no ambition and a gimp called gallop in charge (remember his infamous "the game is dying" speech during the games centinial celebration year?)

Payment to players and clubs since 2012 is no way close to the % revenue increase of the nrl in that time period

Has the bunker, digital dept, millions on touch alignment, millions on nsw and qland cup and massive admin revenue increase made the sport any stronger or bigger?

Keeping tigs, Knights, Dragons afloat isn't wasted unless it was a missed opportunity to rationalise some areas and bring in new ones but would you really want to lose newcastle and hand GC over to afl? NRL has to deliver 8 games a week and needs 16 clubs to do that.

Afl expansion has earnt more money than it has cost. Pretty good business I'd say!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually I think Wests have because the Wests side of the JV took control in return for paying back Balmain's half of the debt.

Again, can't speak for the Saints, I assume they're in the process of repaying it.

OK, I wasn't certain how the Newcastle sale was structured. Even if they did the same with the Gold Coast you'd imagine that they wouldn't have lost much except for the operational losses that exceeded the club grant. We wouldn't be talking millions upon millions.

We won't know this until the next annual report is out

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm still waiting for someone to explain what benefit the nrl got from Dave Smith massively expanding the nrl staff? What did we get for the two years Shane Richardson was being paid big money by the NRL? Nrl management is a joke, I've no doubt they have been leaking money like nothing else ever since "billion dollar tv deal" was first mentioned.

I mean we just got knocked back for a 30m dollar loan, that says a f**king lot about the state of the nrl.

Smith gets beaten up over this but here's a fact for you, the nrl spent more on admin costs in the Greenburg era than any year smith was in charge!

Smith era
2013 $17.1mill
2014 $19.3mill
2015 $20.6mill

Greenburg
2016 $21.5mill

Source: https://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/2017/NRL-Annual-Report-2016.pdf

Latest posts