What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John ribot on sterlo...

RazorRam0n

Juniors
What a.

Wanted to trash my telly listening to the wanker... Doesn't regret a thing despite acknowledging how much damage he's caused the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
As soon as I saw it, I pictured people yelling at their TV, steam coming out of ears.

I know so many peeps who hate that man.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
meh, the history of RL is just a history of huge egos squabbling while fans get f*cked around....

I dont see much difference between Ribot and any of the club heavyweights we have today, its all about self-interest.

Ribot just did it better than most.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
meh, the history of RL is just a history of huge egos squabbling while fans get f*cked around....

I dont see much difference between Ribot and any of the club heavyweights we have today, its all about self-interest.

so why didn't it happen to the AFL then if it's so general?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Happened in cricket, nobody cares about Victorian football, except Victorians and their more geniused cousins from SA.

Fans hated super league, not players, they are now full time and well paid.

No more chook raffles so players get paid

Your knowledge of the game is startling. Go back to your topball variation campaign.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Because, usually, the egos and ambitions are chennalled into being a positive for the game (super ambitious shit like the Toronto Wolfpack comes down to the egos and action of just a few people. Hell, RL was created and arrived in Australia because a small few didnt like how Union was doing it and decided to act).

Just because Ribot was the guy that tore the game apart doesnt mean he was the only one who could/would have done it. Just look at the pay disputes the clubs get into every TV deal, they threaten to tear the comp down if they dont get their way. The only difference was that he had all the piece for Super League fall in front of him right when he was most disenfranchised.

And its not like he didnt do good for the game. He was hugely ambitious when he was leading the Broncos and he built the Storm from almost nothing.

For me, the bigger tragedy of his story was that the people at the ARL didnt find a way to harness his talent and ambition for the good of the game...

LeagueXIII

First Grade

I think it doesn't happen in AFL because most people running their game come with a corporate background so once their contribution to the game is over they can always go back into well paying business roles. Similar people would be found in union.
Ribot was an electrician at one point.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think it doesn't happen in AFL because most people running their game come with a corporate background so once their contribution to the game is over they can always go back into well paying business roles. Similar people would be found in union.
Ribot was an electrician at one point.

Not just that. VFL was well ahead in terms of securing their place as the premier competition and securing their hold over their teams...

The ARL on the other hand, were so focused on expanding into new markets, they didnt think about securing what they already had. The clubs were signing licences one year at a time, meaning Super League could come in with big offers and the ARL couldnt do shit.

Again, its all just a story of clashing egos...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sterlo went easy on him! Was interesting to hear about storms tv deal with china and how the other clubs scuppered it. Typical small minded RL.

Reactions: Vee

King hit

Coach
Does anyone remember the World Club Challenge in 1997 that he came up with? It was so farcical that teams that lost every game made the finals ahead of unbeaten Australian teams.

axl rose

Bench
Does anyone remember the World Club Challenge in 1997 that he came up with? It was so farcical that teams that lost every game made the finals ahead of unbeaten Australian teams.

One time on 2UE they actually counted the crowd in Canberra, which ended up being under 300 people for the blockbuster clash between the Raiders and Halifax Blue Sox. Raiders won a tight one 70- 0. St Helens made the finals without winning a game, one of ya best Reebs.

King hit

Coach
That was Bradford who lost every game and made the finals. In the book Vossy just released he was talking about the game between Penrith and St Helens. He felt all the commentators lost credibility defending how Penrith won every game and didn't advance and Bradford did. He hopes never to call something so farcical again.

taipan

Referee
Did Reebs indicate whether he got a thank you card , from the AFL and ARU.
The Swans got their biggest lift in 1995,when SL reared its ugly head.
And in 1995 union went openly professional,

I never got to see E.T running full bore down the sidelines at the Beijing Flying Duck stadium ,in front of 50,000 screaming fans.Every time I knock down a Chines Meal,I think what could've been.