What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John ribot on sterlo...

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And you've just hit one of the main problems with the CC bid right on the head!
To let them in somebody else has to miss out and there're plenty of better options floating around out there.

The population of the CC as of 2016 was 335 thousand (so nowhere near 1 mil and it's not going to reach 1 mil for a very long time), and we currently have a ton of populations bigger and more valuable (broadcasting, advertising, and sponsorship wise) either going without representation or under represented.

The CC is growing, but so is everywhere else, so realistically by the time that they'd be a reasonable option for expansion by todays' standards (which is roughly somewhere around 2050) they wont be by the standards of the of that time cause the rest of the population will have changed as well, and so will have the sports reach to be ability to break into new markets that nobody would take seriously currently.

Also the spread of clubs matters for all sorts of reasons, but some of the main ones are value to broadcasters, sponsors, corporates, etc, the amount of people directly represented by the spread of clubs in your comp, and the legitimacy of the competition as a national competition, and frankly speaking if you can't cover all of the NSW market with 10 clubs then you're doing it wrong, and we are doing it wrong cause we have 9 of those 10 clubs all fighting for the finite resources in 1 city, a big city yes, but not one big enough to support 9 NRL clubs.

Who's going to miss out, the plan is to make league strong so all survive and flourish, not cut and burn to squeeze everyone into the magic 16.

The million I referred to included the population of the Bears old area and CC.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...m/news-story/2e55b508be69c71e84906b3e70198ac3

What league needs to do is reclaim the goodwill it once had, and it's feel good factor that made it must watch amongst the swinging sports fan, this is the market we have lost and is stopping our growth as a sport.

Stallion

First Grade
Isn't it funny how so many of us on this side of the argument have lost clubs, you the Steelers, PR the Reds, myself the Bears, and yet we are the ones arguing most fervently for further rationalisation against a group of people that haven't lost a club and only have a fear of it and secondly swear that all the fans of the dead teams are lost to the sport forever.

Just an interesting observation.

That's odd. As I have sadly met 100s over the last 5 years that no longer follow rugby league because of what happened to the Sydney based clubs (mergers and exiting). These are mostly people that I have known from school days and the sports I played. So you keep believing no damage is being done to the game at the game's ultimate loss. Not yours! You will blame something else when its convenient whilst the code continues to be more irrelevant in Sydney, surrounds and elsewhere.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
It wouldn't necessarily be bad if the Bears came back, however it would be bad if the CC got a team.

The lack of value that the CC add to the broadcasting rights, the fact that the CC almost certainly wouldn't be able to support a club on their own which would mean that they'd have to lean on the Sydney market, which in turn leads to problems with the over saturation in the Sydney market, the fact that realistically the NRL and RL as a whole has already got a dominate market share on the CC and I can't see that being changed significantly by adding a team in the NRL and that of course means that they aren't a new market that the NRL would be cracking into which is what it desperately needs right now, I could go on but I think you get the idea, but the main reason is simply that there're heaps of better options out there that would add more value in a whole range of areas then the CC and that we don't need another club in NSW when we already have 10 in a competition of 16.

The BEARS back in the Central Coast brings two areas to the league not one!

Stallion

First Grade
I was talking about the amount of representation and market share that the clubs have as a whole in the current competition, and NSW and Sydneys' is way to
high by the current numbers.

I'll let you do the exact maths for yourself, but Sydney doesn't represent more then 50% of the population of Australia or more then 50% of the money circulating in the economy, but it does represent more then 50% of the representation of the NRL and 50% of the NRLs' 'franchises' (for lack of a better word), are you starting to see the problem.

And as for a 20 plus team comp, the NRL would have be able to support that amount of clubs, under the current structure of the NRL it could support 24 at a stretch (realistically only 20-22), but 8 more spots in the competition isn't enough spots for everybody that should be in the NRL long term, so for the NRL to grow as big as possible and be as successful as possible it's going to have to rationalise and restructure the competition, it's just an inevitability.

And you've just hit one of the main problems with the CC bid right on the head!
To let them in somebody else has to miss out and there're plenty of better options floating around out there.

The population of the CC as of 2016 was 335 thousand (so nowhere near 1 mil and it's not going to reach 1 mil for a very long time), and we currently have a ton of populations bigger and more valuable (broadcasting, advertising, and sponsorship wise) either going without representation or under represented.

The CC is growing, but so is everywhere else, so realistically by the time that they'd be a reasonable option for expansion by todays' standards (which is roughly somewhere around 2050) they wont be by the standards of the of that time cause the rest of the population will have changed as well, and so will have the sports reach to be ability to break into new markets that nobody would take seriously currently.

Also the spread of clubs matters for all sorts of reasons, but some of the main ones are value to broadcasters, sponsors, corporates, etc, the amount of people directly represented by the spread of clubs in your comp, and the legitimacy of the competition as a national competition, and frankly speaking if you can't cover all of the NSW market with 10 clubs then you're doing it wrong, and we are doing it wrong cause we have 9 of those 10 clubs all fighting for the finite resources in 1 city, a big city yes, but not one big enough to support 9 NRL clubs.

You can absolutely add the Illawarra in your "Sydney " calculation . And if the Bears got the green light for the Central Coast throw that in too. That's 3 regions for 10 clubs. All with established rivalry and expansive nationwide recognition. If you can't see the value for maintaining and revitalising lost areas like North Sydney then you are delusional. These are ESTABLISHED MARKETS with Australia wide RECOGNITION & POPULARITY! They also add credibility to the NRL competition.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Are you on drugs? Roosters currently have the central coast? Central coast is alread back.

If you are calling that as 'back' you are kidding! The BEARS would have a permanent presence not one or two games? It would be their main home ground! I see your version of catering for the locals is full of half measures. (not even that!)Not good enough mate!

T to the T

Juniors
Posters advocating the culling of established teams are blind to the past. I read the below here a good few years ago and it still rings true today.

Fans of broke teams wouldn't have turned away from the game like fans of shafted teams did.

If you left them (North Sydney) in and they died, people wouldn't take it as hard, you forcibly kick them out and people do.

It is somewhat like "a lover spurned" - the response of fan who has lost their club is at first all wrath and vindictiveness. In changing codes they are looking for a fresh start. To stay with RL they are constantly lamenting their lost club. They are deliberately turning their back on the sport that has betrayed their loyalty.

The forced removal/merging of clubs post SL War was a disgrace and set the sport back 30 years. Heck, we are looking at 2022 at the earliest when the sport will have the national coverage it did in 1995, 27 years ago.

Stallion

First Grade
Posters advocating the culling of established teams are blind to the past. I read the below here a good few years ago and it still rings true today.

Fans of broke teams wouldn't have turned away from the game like fans of shafted teams did.

If you left them (North Sydney) in and they died, people wouldn't take it as hard, you forcibly kick them out and people do.

It is somewhat like "a lover spurned" - the response of fan who has lost their club is at first all wrath and vindictiveness. In changing codes they are looking for a fresh start. To stay with RL they are constantly lamenting their lost club. They are deliberately turning their back on the sport that has betrayed their loyalty.

The forced removal/merging of clubs post SL War was a disgrace and set the sport back 30 years. Heck, we are looking at 2022 at the earliest when the sport will have the national coverage it did in 1995, 27 years ago.

Very well explained T to the T! I assume the same shady characters are pushing their ignorant agenda as well! ?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
If you are calling that as 'back' you are kidding! The BEARS would have a permanent presence not one or two games? It would be their main home ground! I see your version of catering for the locals is full of half measures. (not even that!)Not good enough mate!

So in other words, if they came back like you want they would be neglecting the north Sydney locals and baseing themselves in cc. So doing the same as the roosters are with there local area?

Stallion

First Grade
So in other words, if they came back like you want they would be neglecting the north Sydney locals and baseing themselves in cc. So doing the same as the roosters are with there local area?

No they would easily accommodate both. A decent junior infrastructure was already existing in North SYDNEY. It has now significantly declined. This would necessarily improve and a concerted effort for the Central Coast would also apply. It's not as if their was no rugbyleague in the two areas. They just need a top flight club to aspire to.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

No as they were going to move their in the 90's anyhow. Most games at Gosford and a couple at Bear Park.
From the middle of Bear territory to Gosford is 39mins by car.

King hit

Coach
Just finished reading the book. Great to see an unbiased account of everything that happened with no bs or agendas. The human side that wasn't seen at the time being revealed was fascinating as it affected everybody in a good or bad way. Very happy to read this and I would recommend it to every Rugby League fan.

Just want to add what a joke Mal Meninga really is. He has struck me pretty much all the time as an arrogant jerk and goodness he was one during SL and I still feel he is one today. Saying RL did nothing for him, what rubbish you idiot you got everything and it made you who you are. How disrespectful to attack the thing that made you famous and popular and drag it through the mud at the same time. And people think he is some wonderful ambassador and spokesperson for our game, just crazy.

Stallion

First Grade
Just finished reading the book. Great to see an unbiased account of everything that happened with no bs or agendas. The human side that wasn't seen at the time being revealed was fascinating as it affected everybody in a good or bad way. Very happy to read this and I would recommend it to every Rugby League fan.

Just want to add what a joke Mal Meninga really is. He has struck me pretty much all the time as an arrogant jerk and goodness he was one during SL and I still feel he is one today. Saying RL did nothing for him, what rubbish you idiot you got everything and it made you who you are. How disrespectful to attack the thing that made you famous and popular and drag it through the mud at the same time. And people think he is some wonderful ambassador and spokesperson for our game, just crazy.

To his credit Mal retracted and regretted that statement . But yes I know what you mean.

King hit

Coach
To his credit Mal retracted and regretted that statement . But yes I know what you mean.

He still does arrogant and hypocritical things like the time he refused to pick Andrew Fifita and when he stuck up the finger at the Pacific islands for selecting Radradra after going on about helping them. Brought the game into disrepute as well. And that’s just for starters.

mozza91

Coach
Reading this thread has prompted me to read the book again. Just finished the first chapter. Great read and a pretty decent cure from the footy withdrawals I’m having whilst waiting for the season to start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How generous with a state population of over 7,5million and growing.

And ten teams, meanwhile outside of nsw is a population of 13million people waiting to get an nrl club. And you want to put in an 11th club and starve those people with nothing. How incredibly selfish of you!

Stallion

First Grade
He still does arrogant and hypocritical things like the time he refused to pick Andrew Fifita and when he stuck up the fi
nger at the Pacific islands for selecting Radradra after going on about helping them. Brought the game into disrepute as well. And that’s just for starters.

Still think he's more proactive for the international game and gives the Kangaroos a higher profile.

Latest posts