What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johns to play cricket for NSW

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Written by: League news
28/06/2006
Johns_andrew_Knights080406.jpg
Rugby league great Andrew Johns will play cricket for New South Wales in at least two Twenty20 matches next season. Cricket New South Wales has announced Johns will play against South Australia at Newcastle's No.1 Sports Ground on January 7 and at Telstra Stadium in Sydney on January 10.

Regarded as the world's best rugby league player, JOHNS has also played some lower grade cricket in recent years with Newcastle's Merewether club. The Newcastle captain's selection was approved at a recent NSW Cricket Board meeting with the full support of senior players and coach Trevor Bayliss.

Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert admits the scheme is a bid to attract publicity for Twenty20 cricket.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=11173

proof that its just entertainment value, not real cricket

Twizzle said:
Written by: League news
28/06/2006
Johns_andrew_Knights080406.jpg
Rugby league great Andrew Johns will play cricket for New South Wales in at least two Twenty20 matches next season. Cricket New South Wales has announced Johns will play against South Australia at Newcastle's No.1 Sports Ground on January 7 and at Telstra Stadium in Sydney on January 10.

Regarded as the world's best rugby league player, JOHNS has also played some lower grade cricket in recent years with Newcastle's Merewether club. The Newcastle captain's selection was approved at a recent NSW Cricket Board meeting with the full support of senior players and coach Trevor Bayliss.

Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert admits the scheme is a bid to attract publicity for Twenty20 cricket.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=11173

proof that its just entertainment value, not real cricket

One of my mates played against him in club cricket in newcastle, and said he opened the batting smashed a double century off 40 overs.

griffo346

First Grade
if he goes any good i wonder if he could play this game into his 30s like steve waugh did :p
anyway good luck joey

IanG

Coach
Well he can't do any worse that that pathetic display little Johnny SHowed in Pakistan

Timbo

Staff member
What a joke.

These are official 20/20 games, aren't they? It certainly reads that way...

Proof that it isn't real cricket.

[what'd be interesting is if he wipes the floor with SA would they try and persuede him to stay on]

stuke

Bench
he has played 5th Grade cricket in Newcastle. it is an absolute joke for him to be representing the State. he sure doesn't mind getting his name in the paper.

[furrycat]

Coach
I'm annoyed that there are kids who deserve an opportunity, even if it is 20/20, and Johns is getting a run. He plays bloody extremely lower grade in Newcastle- of course he can score runs.

IanG

Coach
Baggy Green said:
Reaction muted over Johns PR stunt
Cricinfo staff
June 28, 2006

Reaction has been muted to the news that New South Wales intend to allow Andrew Johns, the rugby league international, to play for them in the 2006-07 Twenty20 competition.

The unabashed publicity stunt was unveiled on Wednesday, but soon attracted the displeasure of Cricket Australia. "We have a strong view that it is not appropriate," a CA spokesman said. "Twenty20 cricket does not need gimmicks. It's there to attract a new audience but it is already doing that."

That was not the case according to Dave Gilbert, NSW's chief executive. "The states see Twenty20 as an opportunity to be as left field as possible," he said. "Nobody loses sleep if they win or lose."

Johns , however, seemed more worried about losing his teeth, and he sheepishly admitted: "I can't bowl real well, I can't bat and I can't field. It's a big class rise but fingers crossed, I don't get a bat and just get a bit of a field. Believe me, I'll need all the help I can get. The prospect of batting against Shaun Tait, who bowls as fast as Brett Lee, and Jason Gillespie in the first match is already giving me nightmares."

And Tait greeted the news with a remark that would only have added to Johns' insomnia. "You're fair game," he warned. "If the game's for points then it's hell for leather isn't it? If he is happy to play he has to be happy to take the heat.

"We're not going to go too stupid and make a big deal of it because it's obviously just a bit of fun for NSW," Tait added. "But if it comes to the crunch and the game's on the line I definitely won't be holding back."

What little club cricket Johns has played has been for Merewether. Geoff Curnow, their club secretary, described him as "ordinary" when he played for the fifth-grade team. "He played one game in 2000-2001 and got one run and no wickets," Curnow told the Sydney Morning Herald. "The season before he had six games and scored 82 runs at an average of 16.4 after a 35 not out and took two wickets at 30.5 apiece."

© Cricinfo

stuke

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:
One of my mates played against him in club cricket in newcastle, and said he opened the batting smashed a double century off 40 overs.

:lol: things do seem to be overhyped when it comes to A.Johns.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And Tait greeted the news with a remark that would only have added to Johns' insomnia. "You're fair game," he warned.

I'd like to see that

no medicabs on a cricket ground

bigdogsgottaeat

Juniors
Cricket Australia are a pack of old farts.

I'm sorry, how can this be bad for the game? My experience is that generally people who are particularly good at a sport, were fairly good at most sports across the board.

I'd be surprised if he did that badly and, if he did, it still brings people out to the game - which is ultimately what the stunt is aimed to achieve. There's hardly any point getting "annoyed" about this!!!

The reality is that a good % of the better players in Australia will be rested for the domestic 20/20 games anyway, and I'm sure NSW has taken this into account.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Only NSW are this desperate! Mind you a Haurie-Joey combination could be matchwinning for the Blues!

stuke

Bench
bigdogsgottaeat said:
My experience is that generally people who are particularly good at a sport, were fairly good at most sports across the board.

who??

and why aren't all the other States doing this too??

basically Johns has allowed cricket to be on the back page of the papers at a time when State of Origin should be dominating. it is another way for him to get attention and show that he has no shame in promoting himself. after all the money shelled out to him over the years i am sure the NRL would be unhappy about the media attention he has created or another sport.

whatever money he is making for this he should donate to a worthwhile charity...not the A. Johns Self Appreciation Fund.

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah my real concern out of this is for some young fringe player who loses his opportunity to make his mark as a result of Johns devaluing the Blue cap.

Latest posts