What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson could be out for rest of the season.

Rich102

Staff member
A serious knee injury could spell the end of Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson's season following last night's crushing 34-22 NRL loss to Penrith.

Johnson sustained the injury to his left leg in the final play of the first half as he was dragged down in a tackle. He returned to the field after the break before limping off with 18 minutes remaining.

The 26-year-old will have scans on the injury today but there are fears he may have torn his ACL which could mean at least six months on the sidelines.

The loss of the No7 would be a massive blow to the Warriors chances of clawing their way into the top eight and shatter his hopes of appearing for the Kiwis at the World Cup in October.

"In terms of the extent of it I'm not 100 per cent sure," said coach Stephen Kearney.

"Over the next 24 hours he'll get some scans but the early diagnosis is probably not a real good one.

"Potentially (it could be serious). We just need to wait for the pictures to tell the story.
"We'll have a clearer idea of that tomorrow."

With the Warriors now needing at least five wins from their remaining seven games, Kearney was in no mood to contemplate his side's finals prospects without Johnson, with another tough assignment coming in next Saturday's clash against North Queensland in Townsville.

"I'm not thinking about that right at this stage," he said.

"If there's an opportunity we'll be doing everything we can to try and maximise that. But on the back of tonight's performance we've got a fair bit to get through.

"We've got a really tough match next week up in Townsville so we'll assess how everything pans out in regards to particularly Shaun over the next 24 hours."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11890893

ozbash

Referee
SJ is probably breathing a huge sigh of relief..

It's over, at least for this season anyway.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Last time SJ got injured, the team folded without him.

Great opportunity for guys like Lino and Hingano but these two really need to bring the best of their running game. Just managing the game to Kearneys plan won't be an effective attack. Also I do worry about these guys being set up for mismatches (big man/little man) on defence. They do need to play this year though.

spear tackle

Juniors
After SJ got injured last night it proved we are still a one man team, so it looks like nothings really changed too much.

JJ

Immortal
Convenient excuse for another disgraceful season.

They can talk about injuries and luck, brush off this season and the slow start next year

Blair

Coach
And he's out. Confirmed.

The fact we're also rans in first grade makes this quite interesting really. Foran was always geniusing the development of Hingano, even mason. Now we may get to see Foran showing them a few things over the course of the last seven games. If Foran does this then he's earning a bit of his keep.

It's not like we're white-hot in the comp and Johnson's season-ender has dealt us a death blow.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Yep. Including WC

The fact we're also rans in first grade makes this quite interesting really. Foran was always geniusing the development of Hingano, even mason. Now we may get to see Foran showing them a few things over the course of the last seven games. If Foran does this then he's earning a bit of his keep.

It's not like we're white-hot in the comp and Johnson's season-ender has dealt us a death blow.

I'd like to see

7. Lino
6. Foran

but we'll probably get

7. Foran
6. Hingano

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Our opposition defence can now relax a little knowing that an 'out of sorts' Foran, possibly a rookie and a W.I.P will be playing key attacking positions.

Hingano I'd like to think will come right and Im absolutely hopeful. If you know me, you know I call it straight and what Im seeing is, Hingano is still very weak in some areas of his game. In defence he approaches with a 100% effort but in the end, hes not dominant, often clinging on to one ankle. In attack, I seen him hit a hole and one ARM swung around and sort of smashed him. Not shoulder, but someones bicep and forearm across the Atas chest was enough to tackle him. It showed that he was a light weight when tackled. I reckon he needs to bulk up a bit.

Hingano is more experienced than Lino so considering we can still make the 8 (dare I say it) we should go with the experienced pairing of Hingano and Foran. I actually look forward to seeing how these two go.

Warriorsoul

Juniors
Does anyone know if we are actively looking outside for a Foran replacement or is it basically set in stone that Hingano will be it?