What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Johnson wins 2023 Simon Mannering medal.

Rich102

Staff member
Halfback Shaun Johnson has scooped the Warriors' top awards.

Johnson picked up three honours at the NRL club's awards evening including the highest accolade -the Simon Mannering Medal.

In a season of singular achievement he was also judged by his peers as the players' player of the year and won the People's Choice award voted by the public.

The triple sweep comes five days out from Johnson celebrating his 33rd birthday on the same day the Warriors meet Penrith in their first NRL finals match in five years.

In winning the premier award, Johnson emulates the great Stacey Jones, the only other halfback to receive the accolade in the club's history when he was honoured in 1997.

Also rated as a strong chance to win the prestigious Dally M Medal as the NRL's player of the year, Johnson has been in sublime form throughout his first season back home since the 2018 season.

He was on the field for all but 22 minutes of a possible 1842 minutes in the first 23 games of the campaign before being rested for Saturday's final regular season match against the Dolphins.

He's the competition's fifth highest points-scorer this year with 176 including eight tries, his best season tally since he scored 10 tries in 2016.

Shaun Johnson wins the Simon Mannering medal, 2023.

Shaun Johnson wins the Simon Mannering medal, 2023. Photo: PHOTOSPORT
Along with the accolades it has been a season for milestones for Johnson. He became only the fifth player to appear in 200 NRL matches for the Warriors while he also reached his 250th career appearance and was the first player to top 1000 points for the club.

The other nominees for the Simon Mannering Medal and the players' player of the year award were fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, winger Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, prop Addin Fonua-Blake and captain Tohu Harris.

NRL Rookie of the Year went to Taine Tuaupiki, NRL Clubman of the Year to Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That's a pretty incredible redemption story from where we all felt he was a couple of years ago.

I've always been a massive SJ fan, so I love this. I did find it hard to like him at times, especially around the 'yous got what you wanted' World Cup sort of time, playing in a dinner suit at stages in his career, and when he + Cameron George took chunks out of each other when he went to the Sharks.

His book, when it comes out, will be a good read. It'll be his version of events only, but even then it'll be worth it. I would say he got to the depths of 'hell' (maybe too strong a word) in COVID and being away from family, so I massively empathise with his plight on his return to the Warriors.

Which I suppose is all my long-winded way of saying chur. On ya Shauny. So well deserved this year. AFB would've been as worthy (if not more, I would say) but I still love this.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's a pretty incredible redemption story from where we all felt he was a couple of years ago.

I've always been a massive SJ fan, so I love this. I did find it hard to like him at times, especially around the 'yous got what you wanted' World Cup sort of time, playing in a dinner suit at stages in his career, and when he + Cameron George took chunks out of each other when he went to the Sharks.

His book, when it comes out, will be a good read. It'll be his version of events only, but even then it'll be worth it. I would say he got to the depths of 'hell' (maybe too strong a word) in COVID and being away from family, so I massively empathise with his plight on his return to the Warriors.

Which I suppose is all my long-winded way of saying chur. On ya Shauny. So well deserved this year. AFB would've been as worthy (if not more, I would say) but I still love this.
Whenever he does a bio I hope it’s not until after he’s retired and perhaps done a year or two in media or coaching (though I suspect media will more likely be his go) so he’s got a bit of distance and perspective- because if it’s an honest warts and all account it’ll indeed be a good story.

sup42

Juniors
It would have been wrong for him not to win it.

He has won so many games for us this year and the coaches have been going on about his tackling, if that ain't a Simon Mannering medal winner what is?

Happy for Shaun, at last basking in the glory without resentment or critique.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Shaun won our player of the year 2020.

I liked the contenders too. AFB, CNK, DWZ and Harris.

I think Egan is the key, his slight of hand opens the field for Shaun.

I think Dally M is coming too.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I reckon DWZ will be one winger and AFB one prop with Shaun halfback and overall winner.

Webster coach. We are talking awards.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's all a bit flat without the Premiership.

Respect your opinion bro but from my perspective I completely disagree. This season has brought the fun back, the love of my team, the conversations at work, engagement on here, and most importantly the pride in my team. I will be gutted if we don't go all the way or anything over than winning a maiden premiership, but it won't be flat to me. This has been bloody good fun