What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonthan Thurston's last game

Maroon4life

Juniors
Yeah gotta earn your stripes on the pipes before you're a crackhead. Joey and his pingas not worthy to pick a crackhead's scabs.

Normal cause of events suggests Pingas lead to crack, same assumption some could make in observing and partaking in unconsentual group sex.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Yeah gotta earn your stripes on the pipes before you're a crackhead. Joey and his pingas not worthy to pick a crackhead's scabs.
His face hasn't been gradually turning into a souths fan on the tv screen over the years which is a promising sign he never made that step

Unfortunately Thurston has tarnished his legacy. It looks like Brandy was correct (he'd know tbh), and now when JT is thought of, Brandy's quote will automatically be thought of directly after.

He got outplayed by Sezer on the weekend ffs.....actually he's been outplayed by Sezer twice this year.

no name

Coach
Good on him for coming back after the injury, but Brandy was right. He probably should have just went out a winner after Origin 2 last year.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Good on him for coming back after the injury, but Brandy was right. He probably should have just went out a winner after Origin 2 last year.
Pretty sure that was his last real game of JT football.

Amazing player, one of the best I've ever seen, if not the best.

Just oozed talent, competitiveness and everything needed to be a total success. But to be brutally honest, even by 2015 he was overplaying his hand and no longer the player that he was in his prime. He still had everything but the ability to cut the line right open himself (not incl a cut out pass). Now, he has less post game 2 origin 2017.

I wish him well. He gave me many hours of great entertainment. Better than Langer, better than Lockyer, better than Stuart and Daley individually as these 2 complemented each other, and better than Sterling and Kenny (ditto), but the Wally vs Joey vs JT vs Fittler debate can rage for the next few decades till someone else comes along.

Because these guys, at their peak, aren't all that common. They're literally one talented player that a club or a rep team can build around. Even in this group of 4, JT is the worst defender, so you can see where I rate his kicking game and attacking running and passing game.

Last edited:

Dave_

Juniors
Everyone is shocked at how much of a plodder he has become but the decline began years ago. He even played like busted ring in the 2015 GF. He started losing it a bit before that. The Cowboys showed last year that he was a spent force as far as their chances were concerned by making the GF without him.

Was a great player 3 or 4 years ago. Never could tackle to save his life though, even at his peak. He is embarrassing himself now, he should be feigning injury and calling it a day. He truly fizzled out....

Canard

Immortal
Everyone is shocked at how much of a plodder he has become but the decline began years ago. He even played like busted ring in the 2015 GF. He started losing it a bit before that. The Cowboys showed last year that he was a spent force as far as their chances were concerned by making the GF without him.

Was a great player 3 or 4 years ago. Never could tackle to save his life though, even at his peak. He is embarrassing himself now, he should be feigning injury and calling it a day. He truly fizzled out....

That 2016 Dally M voting shows up, how shit the rest of the comp must be then.

King hit

Coach

That's why I will always rank Johns as the best halfback. He could make 40 tackles a game and set guys like Webcke on their arse.

beave

Coach
That's why I will always rank Johns as the best halfback. He could make 40 tackles a game and set guys like Webcke on their arse.

You seen the size difference between Johns and JT? One’s a lean/slender lad the other stockier with a bucket ass, of course Johns will be the better front on defender ffs. Thurston run rings around him in cover defence though. I watched him live in Tvl for 9 straight years as a season ticket holder, the shit JT did/does off the ball and off the cameras in defence was mind boggling. There would be a break on the opposite side of where he’s defending and he would always be one of the first back helping the fullback in decence.

mozza91

Coach
I’ve always thought Thurston was abit overrated. Great player but not as great as the commentators make out. His peak coincided with a pretty weak period for quality halves.

Conversely I don’t think he’s been near as bad this year as what people have made out. He’s still one of the best players in the comp. He’s slowed down but so have a number of his teammates either due to age or injury. He’s still up there for try assists and still kicks really well. Not the running threat he was but still a top half no doubt.

typicalfan

Coach

In 2016 Storm made the gf without Slater. That doesn’t make Slater a bad player or a spent force. Thurston has a major injury but he is hardly the sole reason for the poor season. Coote, Scott, Linnett, O’Neill, Winterstein and Granville are probably all in career worst form.

Cowboys were horrible for most of last year without JT and went on a miracle run with Morgan in amazing form.