What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh Dugan - "I'm a world class player"

Josh Dugan frustrated by St George Illawarra’s refusal to offer him a fullback contract
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSI, The Daily Telegraph
May 4, 2017 8:00pm

A FRUSTRATED Josh Dugan cannot understand why St George Illawarra continue to undervalue him as he prepares to play his seventh Test for Australia.

On the same day fellow star fullback James Tedesco signed a four-year deal with the Sydney Roosters, Dugan told The Daily Telegraph he was unsure what more he could do to prove to his own club he deserved to be paid as a fullback, not as a centre.

Dugan has baulked at a three-year offer from the Dragons, but deep down knows the difference between the two positions in terms of money could be up to $300,000 a season.

While he will play at right centre for Australia in the Anzac Test against New Zealand, Dugan and Dragons coach Paul McGregor agree he’s best used in the No. 1 for his club.

e626ea5e842414680ad6cc598888d4ef

The club’s approach has left Dugan wondering what more he must do. Photo: Mark Evans

Dugan also has no idea who the Dragons intended to play at fullback next year if they shifted him to the centres.

“That’s where I’m lost as well,’’ Dugan said. “I think the they’ve got plans for some of the younger guys coming through.

“But when I was coming through as an 18 and 19-year-old, your body is just not ready for it, and as a fullback you need to be (battle) hardened. It’s a tough position for a kid.

“I’ve been picked for Australia, and hopefully I’m picked for the Origin side in a few weeks time. There’s no reason why they (the Dragons) should have any doubts about how well I’m performing.

“I feel like I’ve proven myself at all levels, and I guess the most disappointing thing for me is the Dragons don’t see that.’’

The Wests Tigers and Bulldogs both need a fullback, but Dugan’s first preference is the Red V. He wants to recommit long-term, just as he did for four years in 2013. He won’t accept the centre money and then be expected to play fullback.

“The club recruitment see me as a long-term centre, and I don’t agree with that,’’ Dugan said.

“I’m not being greedy, I’m going for what I feel I’m worth as a world-class player. The club has offered me a three-year deal, but as a centre.

“I’ve played my whole career at fullback, I feel like I am one of the better fullbacks in the comp, and I feel I bring a lot to the table at fullback.

“That’s not to say I don’t bring anything to the table as a centre, but the way I see the Dragons’ structure at the moment, I fit right in at fullback.

“I’m playing some good footy, and I feel I’ve played good footy at fullback the last few years now. It’s annoying having to explain why I should be playing there when the club has hopefully seen what I have done over the years for them at fullback.

“We have a roster I’ve been a part of the last three or four years, we’ve been building and getting to point we’re at, so I’d hate to leave when we’re just starting to click into gear.’’

Dugan cannot wait to combine with his good mate Blake Ferguson on the Kangaroos’ right side, and was also proud of Dragons prop Russell Packer who will play for the Kiwis.

“I’ve said it 100 times, but sometimes it takes a kick up the bum to realise what you have and don’t want to lose, and ‘Rusty’ is another example of that,’’ Dugan said.

“He’s turned his life around, and I think he’s studying his second degree. To run out for his country is massive for him and his family.’’

As for teaming up with Ferguson, Dugan said it helped being so close off the field, and playing outside the classy Cooper Cronk and Matt Gillett.

“It works for the Australian side, and hopefully we can keep it together for the Origin side,’’ Dugan said of his right-side combination with Ferguson.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/9bd57178a78cf816f2faba3b77a69b2f

Since when has Dugan been world class?

myrrh ken

First Grade
Well technically he is correct. No fault of his that he keeps getting picked, no matter how hard he mongs it up.

Its not really a great idea to air out your dirty laundry with the club to the media though.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The Duges clearly rates The Duges as a player. The Duges has spoken. Kind of like a cheap tatooed version of the Hayne Plane.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I guess he has heard the term "world class f*ckwit" and thinks it transfers to all aspects of his life.

Have another Cruiser you delusional hack.

Hutty1986

Immortal
I love how much Duges gets under Bobby's skin. It's probably safe to say a SOO & Australian player is world class*

*Actually, maybe not always the case, when duds like Josh Jackson have played rep footy-but Dugan is nearly always solid at that level.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I somewhat see Dugans point though. Especially if he thinks he will be playing fullback next year.

That said if he is happy to stay at the dragons he might need to take less. Thats just life innit, you cant get everything your way. If he wants a bigger contract he might need to test his value on the market.

I love how much Duges gets under Bobby's skin. It's probably safe to say a SOO & Australian player is world class

You sure you want to apply the "being a SOO & Australian player means you are a world class player" idea? If so, you are gonna get pummelled as there are plenty of players who were not up to it who have been selected for NSW/Qld and/or Australia.

Hutty1986

Immortal
You sure you want to apply the "being a SOO & Australian player means you are a world class player" idea? If so, you are gonna get pummelled as there are plenty of players who were not up to it who have been selected for NSW/Qld and/or Australia.
haha I edited my post about 30 seconds before yours. Definitely not always the case, especially with NSW selectors being involved.

Hutty, to Bobby world class = best in the world in your position or very close to it.

Dugan is not that to Bobby....in any position.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I don't get why the dragons want to undervalue him. He has performed at origin level for years and like he said he is due to play his 7th test.

The whole 'he isn't a ball playing fullback' thing is dumb. How many ball playing fullbacks are actually better them him? Boyd is one, Slater is getting back there and i don't know if you can call Tedesco an amazing ball player but if you do then that makes 3. Dugan makes just as many chances as these players with pure strength running alone. In all other aspects of fullback play, safety at the back, kick defusing, defence, support play and kick returns he is just as good if not better then those 3 in those areas.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hutty, to Bobby world class = best in the world in your position or very close to it.

Dugan is not that to Bobby....in any position.

He's not the best going around, not nearly as skilful as Boyd, Teddy, etc but I think he's in the top 5 fullbacks.
But I don't know how this contract sh*t is going to be sorted if the club can't even work out if they want him as a FB or a centre. On another matter, it's a shame that Duges hasn't yet referred to himself in the third person to the media during any of this yet.

In all honesty I don't think the Dragons are "undervaluing" him, but with the money they are paying for Widdop and Hunt, they may not have the salary cap space to pay similar to Dugan also. Not unless they intend to not re-sign certain other players who will more than likely be looking at upgrades when they next come off contract (e.g. Debellin, Vaughan, Innes).

Nice Beaver

First Grade
I think Dugan is a good player. But great - no thanks.

I would not have him in Origin this year, and he gets a gig in Test matches because....well....they just pick incumbents - Merrin says hi.

The bloke has delusions of grandeur. Good returner of the ball, CRAP passing game and limited speed. To be considered a great fullback these days you need all 3 attributes, he has one.

So Duges - you may have to slum it on $600-$650k a year. I know its probably not enough to keep up your awesome tatts collection, but you may have to just eek out an existence on it.

There's always the career in medicine or law when you finish........

Dragonwest

Juniors
I don't get why the dragons want to undervalue him. He has performed at origin level for years and like he said he is due to play his 7th test.

The whole 'he isn't a ball playing fullback' thing is dumb. How many ball playing fullbacks are actually better them him? Boyd is one, Slater is getting back there and i don't know if you can call Tedesco an amazing ball player but if you do then that makes 3. Dugan makes just as many chances as these players with pure strength running alone. In all other aspects of fullback play, safety at the back, kick defusing, defence, support play and kick returns he is just as good if not better then those 3 in those areas.

Dugan
2017 - 7 Games, 2 Trys, 3 Line Breaks, 0 Try Assists, 2 Line Break Assists
2016 - 17 Games. 2 Trys, 10 Line Breaks, 1 Try Assist, 4 Line Break Assists

Tedesco
2017 - 9 Games, 1 Try, 6 Line Breaks, 4 Try Assists, 7 Line Break Assists
2016 - 17 Games, 14 Trys, 15 Line Breaks, 12 Try Assists, 10 Line Break Assists

His defense does not make up for the difference in those stats plain and simple.

perverse

Referee
I somewhat see Dugans point though. Especially if he thinks he will be playing fullback next year.

That said if he is happy to stay at the dragons he might need to take less. Thats just life innit, you cant get everything your way. If he wants a bigger contract he might need to test his value on the market.
This, except I don't see Dugans point at all. He's worth what the market is willing to pay him. The Dragons have decided his worth to their squad, if he's worth more elsewhere then bully for him and them. No different to any employee anywhere else.

We're not paid on the same scale as these guys, but I've had - and I'd wager most have had - to move jobs plenty of times because my worth was maximised in my current role. On your bike, Duges... your club is telling you something.

Clifferd

Coach
Dugan
2017 - 7 Games, 2 Trys, 3 Line Breaks, 0 Try Assists, 2 Line Break Assists
2016 - 17 Games. 2 Trys, 10 Line Breaks, 1 Try Assist, 4 Line Break Assists

Tedesco
2017 - 9 Games, 1 Try, 6 Line Breaks, 4 Try Assists, 7 Line Break Assists
2016 - 17 Games, 14 Trys, 15 Line Breaks, 12 Try Assists, 10 Line Break Assists

His defense does not make up for the difference in those stats plain and simple.

On tedescos stats, those are weird differences. Seems this year he is focusing on his ball playing more than running game

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Long and short of it is they paid massive overs for hunt and are now trying to screw their existing roster to justify paying overs