What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Josh FREAKING McCrone

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I dont get the hate for McCrone. He gets selected, he plays, and so far the team has mostly won. Its not his fault he's picked. And he can play. Game 1 against the Panthers he played really well. His 5th tackle options were good, his kicks were spot on. I know since then its been pretty average. I wonder if he's carrying an injury.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I dont get the hate for McCrone. He gets selected, he plays, and so far the team has mostly won. Its not his fault he's picked. And he can play. Game 1 against the Panthers he played really well. His 5th tackle options were good, his kicks were spot on. I know since then its been pretty average. I wonder if he's carrying an injury.
No it's not his fault, he's just not a first grade footballer!

I doubt there is one Saints supporter who hates the guy.

He is giving everything he has.

Many supporters, me included appreciate the quality of his defence.

Some of us feel Mann or Field offers much more in attack.

His kicking game is ordinary to mediocre.

Would prefer Josh as replacement hooker/half thus giving us the opportunity to play a more skillful player at 7.

Nona should be well ahead of Field or Mann for first grade but will never get an oppurtunity.

Mann is untested and needs time with Illawarra which at present isn't getting and i see no point having him on the bench.

Field also needs time with Illawarra but his hammy is an issue at present.

Hutchison going down was a shame as i would have liked to see how he would go behind a forward pack who are actually playing like a half decent one.

Capital

Juniors
I don't either. It's not his fault he is the best halfback in the club at present. His kicking hasn't been great but it's not his fault he is the best kicker in the NRL team at present. His defence has been excellent and apart from bad kicks, hasn't made many mistakes. And remember he is probably on about 1/10th of the salary Widdop is on.

possm

Coach
I don't either. It's not his fault he is the best halfback in the club at present. His kicking hasn't been great but it's not his fault he is the best kicker in the NRL team at present. His defence has been excellent and apart from bad kicks, hasn't made many mistakes. And remember he is probably on about 1/10th of the salary Widdop is on.
I agree, it's not McCrone's fault it's Mary's fault for selecting him and not giving Mann a decent chance to demonstrate if he is a better option. It is as if Mary does not want it to be discovered that Mann is a better option in the halves; even if it is at 6 and Widdop at 7.

Capital

Juniors
I agree, it's not McCrone's fault it's Mary's fault for selecting him and not giving Mann a decent chance to demonstrate if he is a better option. It is as if Mary does not want it to be discovered that Mann is a better option in the halves; even if it is at 6 and Widdop at 7.
I agree with you that he should try Mann at 5/8 and Widdop at #7 but from what I have seen, I doubt it will improve. On the contrary, I believe the lack of creativity and ball playing ability in our halves will get worse. I'd like to see McCrone with Mann. Bennett tried Widdop at halfback and now Bennett has lost a halfback and Widdop is off contract but zero interest from the Broncos. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I agree with you that he should try Mann at 5/8 and Widdop at #7 but from what I have seen, I doubt it will improve. On the contrary, I believe the lack of creativity and ball playing ability in our halves will get worse. I'd like to see McCrone with Mann. Bennett tried Widdop at halfback and now Bennett has lost a halfback and Widdop is off contract but zero interest from the Broncos. Why do you think that is?
The simple answer is that Widdop is asking for more than he's worth and thus the reason the Dragons have not extended his contract. But his still does not explain why Mary will not give Mann a go at 6 or 7.

Capital

Juniors
The simple answer is that Widdop is asking for more than he's worth and thus the reason the Dragons have not extended his contract. But his still does not explain why Mary will not give Mann a go at 6 or 7.
But possm, Widdop hasn't even been offered a meat pie. What his manager says he is worth is irrelevant if no one is willing to offer him anything.

possm

Coach
But possm, Widdop hasn't even been offered a meat pie. What his manager says he is worth is irrelevant if no one is willing to offer him anything.
Ok, then if that's the case, surely the Club would want to see if an in-house alternative is up for the job unless of course, if they are already going down the track of externally filling the position.

Capital

Juniors
Ok, then if that's the case, surely the Club would want to see if an in-house alternative is up for the job unless of course, if they are already going down the track of externally filling the position.
Field and Hutchinson are both on the radar. Field will be in the NRL sometime, I think sooner rather than later but I think he has ample room to pack the muscle on that frame. Not so for Dufty. He is already short and stocky. Hutchinson may be a very good 5/8 partnering Hunt. His ball running eaves a lot to be desired but his defence and kicking and ball playing may compliment Hunt very well.

possm

Coach
Field and Hutchinson are both on the radar. Field will be in the NRL sometime, I think sooner rather than later but I think he has ample room to pack the muscle on that frame. Not so for Dufty. He is already short and stocky. Hutchinson may be a very good 5/8 partnering Hunt. His ball running eaves a lot to be desired but his defence and kicking and ball playing may compliment Hunt very well.
I think a running five-eighth with speed, good kicking skills, good passing skills and an ability to run to the line is what we need in Hunts partner.

loveoursaints

Juniors
Why pay even 40
But why pay a player you dont want to keep even 300k....we dont want him. If we offerred him 400k and he acceped, then what? Stuck with him for 3 more years....You dign the best players 450k to 1million a year and rack the poor performers off!

getsmarty

Immortal
Capital said:

Why pay even 40

But why pay a player you dont want to keep even 300k....we dont want him. If we offerred him 400k and he acceped, then what? Stuck with him for 3 more years....You dign the best players 450k to 1million a year and rack the poor performers off!

Talking to yourself again Vas..LOL

Last edited:

slippery5

Juniors
If his contract was up last year he would have had to settle for the same fate his halves partner did $150 max with a club feeling sorry for him.

mickeylane

Bench
I must admit I'm a sucker for good defence and unfortunately WIDDOP and MCRONE are gun defenders!!
Field, Nona are welcome mats in defence...compaRed to WIDDOP and Mccrone - if Nona and field were playing we would have leaked at least another 10 points per game.. If u look closely at the crucial tackles WIDDOP makes they're phenomenal try saving stuff - Mcrone is a boof head has no sense for self preservation and tackles buses for fun - he stops kicking the ball he would look like a half decent player -

Capital

Juniors
I must admit ina sucker for good defence and unfiortunately WIDDOP and MCRONE are gun defenders!!
Field, Nona are welcome mats in defence...compRed to WIDDOP and Mccrone - if Nona and field were playing we would have leaked at least another 10 points per game.. If u look closely at the crucial tackles WIDDOP makes they're phenomenal try saving stuff - Mcrone is a boil head has no self preservation and tackles buses for fun - he stops kicking the ball he would look like a half decent player -
McCrone is a gun defender. Last game Widdop defended very well which was really quite something considering his usual efforts that placed him firmly in the running for the worst defender in the NRL. Like against the Shonkies he missed more than 1 tackle in every 3 and wasn't called upon to make a great many. Makes me wonder WTF has been going on before last weekend? Wasn't he trying?

And obviously the coaching staff have identified McCrone as the best kicker. I stated it on another thread and had a ********* laugh at me and call me an idiot for suggesting such a thing on another thread. Seriously...... Like the team is under specific instructions not to pass it to McCrone for kicks 4 games in a row only to have them do it 80% or ore of the time.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
McGregor was previously involved in retention so he would of been involved in discussions when they brought Mann across. If anything I think Mary would want Mann to succeed to justify his choice at the time. Mann will get his chance.

I think Widdop is probably telling Mary to stick with McCrone at 7 personally as he feels comfortable with him there, plus he makes Widdop look the better half of the 2.

AT the moment they are winning so no complaints. It's when they start losing we can whinge more about McCrone in the 7.

Latest posts