What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Journalists making sh*t up?

Shorty

Staff member
This 'drama' is a nice distraction from Milford having an expensive renewed contract and whether he's done enough to justify the price tag.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Kent has gone off the f**king deep end.

He had an opportunity to either say he heard it from another source, or that he was just using Benji's name hypothetically, but instead he doubled down on genius.

What an absolutely pathetic display from an absolute merkin of a "journalist" whose obvious condition of being there was that no one would question him. I can't believe Tallis would just sit there through all of that nonsense unless he was told to keep his mouth shut.

Looking at the footage of NRL 360 they replayed on Matty Johns and then coming out saying he never spoke to Benji, people would think he was twisting the story around and lying about it.

I agree he could've said it was from someone else, without naming any names.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Looking at the footage of NRL 360 they replayed on Matty Johns and then coming out saying he never spoke to Benji, people would think he was twisting the story around and lying about it.

i saw the show live when he mentioned benji's name....he never claimed he heard benji tell him the story. he simply re-iterated a story he was told from the person he was talking to. we all have those types of conversations with friends when they tell you a story.

again i don't get why everyone is on kent instead of ikin on this issue. he's getting off scot free

_Johnsy

Referee
I genuinely can't believe the lack of comprehension from so many people in this thread. For Benji to be horrified by something, he doesn't need to say those words, as a matter of fact facial reactions are a lot more accurate in these situations.

Any single person in that gym could have been watching Benji shake his head in disbelief (or something similar) after watching Milf skip a set and then report that to Kent.

And at no point did Kent indicate he spoke to Benji, you're just twisting it that way because your comprehension skills are lacking and you're just wanting to have a shot at Kent because he must have written something bad about your club at some point. (I completely get the hatred of Journo's by the way, they are scum, but the basis for your anger is misguided on this one).
Pretty much spot on, bravo Paully.

betcats

Referee
I genuinely can't believe the lack of comprehension from so many people in this thread. For Benji to be horrified by something, he doesn't need to say those words, as a matter of fact facial reactions are a lot more accurate in these situations.

Any single person in that gym could have been watching Benji shake his head in disbelief (or something similar) after watching Milf skip a set and then report that to Kent.

And at no point did Kent indicate he spoke to Benji, you're just twisting it that way because your comprehension skills are lacking and you're just wanting to have a shot at Kent because he must have written something bad about your club at some point. (I completely get the hatred of Journo's by the way, they are scum, but the basis for your anger is misguided on this one).

Come on, Kent has been around long enough to know that if he drops Benji's name like that along with some 'inside information' everyone will assume it came from Benji. They even have the link of being on that show together last year. Kents an arrogant prick but he isn't stupid, he knows exactly what he was doing and what it would lead too - More air time and coverage of HIS story. Benji isn't on the show anymore so he probably isn't going to be getting any more inside information off him so he figures he will stir up some shit. When Bennett comes out like he did Kent loves that, its a win for him. Its straight out of the scum Journo handbook, Kent will keep going after Bennett now.

myrrh ken

First Grade
all you're saying is you're refusing to believe that ikin was kent's source.

Christ you are thick. Let me lay it out for you so that you are clear.

Kaarnt's going on about Milford's current form and blames his current attitude to training. To support his theory he states that Benji's horrified by it on the basis of Ikin's story to him.

It now comes out from Kaarnt himself that the story as told by Ikin was that Benjii was shocked or surprised at Milford's attitude when he got there (presumably preseason) and now he's got a good attitude with his help. So by his very own words Kaarnt has misrepresented the story.

Now .. who the f**k knows what firstly Benji told Ikin and then secondly what Ikin told Kaaaarrnt and what twists have been made along the way. All we know is what Kaaarmt says he was told. Its crap journalism and you are eating it up.

Ikin is not stupid enough to dump on Benji. Mostly because of his father in law but probably out of decency to not relay a private conversation on national tv. Something Kaaarnt doesn't hesitate in doing.

Just Visiting

Juniors
Ikin: Nice chip shot, hows training going?
Benji: Yeah good bro, partnered up with Milf, he was goin a bit light eh so we partnered up and we are smashin it bro, here feel my pecks, feel them, hard as bro.
Kent (on TV): Benji is horrified at Milfs training.
Benji: WTF?

Seriously how pissed would Benji be at all this, I'd be livid.

souths_reborn

Juniors

While Wayne Bennett can be a real prick of a bloke at times, especially in the way he handles the media, Paul Kent is a hypocrite and an absolute parasite of a bloke and a reporter; he always seems to be the innocent journalist full of integrity who works in a rugby league institution that is full of liars and dubious characters. Here is why Paul Kent's self-perception is a fallacy based on this recent incident:
1. Paul Kent speaks about Wayne Bennett manipulating his statements, taking things out of context. Alright Paul, you didn't speak to Benji Marshall then how on earth did you obtain this information that Anthony Milford is a lazy trainer? Surely you would have had to speak to another member of the playing group or some of the coaching staff or is your story based on second hand information in which case you are a purveyor or manipulated information, which is just as bad as someone who manipulates information themselves? I understand that journalists don't like divulging their sources but surely you could have at least come out and said that you "spoke to someone close to the playing group" or something along those lines. Hence, in my view you come across as being dubious and unreliable by a) passing on hearsay information and b) implicating another player when you didn't see or hear him make that reaction; he would have been a lot better of not naming Benji Marshall and just saying something along the lines of "other team members are horrified."

2. Kent adopts the tone of some sort of psychiatric expert by trying to diagnose Wayne as having some sort of mental condition and saying that he had "changed" and that "there are values that he no longer values" and that "his character is no longer there" etc. etc. Never have I heard a bigger load of codswallop in my life! Wayne Bennett has always had a detest for the media and loathes doing press conferences, interviews etc. The way Wayne is behaving is nothing we haven't seen before so I'm not so sure why Paul Kent feels his needs to start making out that Wayne has gone crazy, needs mental help etc.

3. Paul Kent during the discussion on the article on The Late Show with Matty Johns makes things personal with Wayne Bennett by bringing his private life into the discussion. How or why is that called for? What Wayne does in his own time is in no way shape or form relevant to the Anthony Milford situation or Wayne Bennett's rebutle; I mean when Wayne Bennett responded he didn't even name Paul Kent directly and avoided trying to make things personal! Where the real hypocrisy occurs is when Paul starts making all these comments about Wayne's private life, his new girlfriend, people close to him wondering "where he is going," him banning media after they followed him to a restaurant etc. and then prudently changes his tone at the end of the discussion and says that Wayne's personal life is his own business!! A bit late for that new Paul considering you have just divulged salacious gossip about Wayne's personal life on national tv!! With regards to Wayne banning the media, I hardly think it is anything personal against News Ltd; Wayne never said it was a "News Ltd ban" but a "media ban" implying that ALL media were banned. Moreover, the reason why he banned the media is because that is basically the only way the guy is going to get some peace; the guy doesn't have time to interview thousands of media people to get to the bottom of what their intentions are - whether they are there to report about football or his personal life.

4. Paul accuses Wayne of using his players for his own self-interest. Once again, how can he possibly reach that conclusion? That is Paul Kent just shooting his mouth off again by making statements that have no substance. Paul has supposedly been "reporting" on league for over 20 odd years. Surely he would know by now that most coaches come out and defend their players when the media attacks them, even if they are guilty of something. Yet some how he managed to draw a vague link between Wayne coming out and defending Benji Marshall, Anthony Milford etc to him censoring the media and/or banning them because they constantly harass him regarding his personal life.

Anyone who has one ounce of common sense will realise that the who discussion on that show was a setup designed to preserve the sacred cows of New Limited. Obviously whoever is calling the shots at Fox had enough shrewdness to bring the discussion up on a panel with members who have all had previously issues with Wayne; did anyone else find it amusing that only Matthew Johns and Gorden Tallis joined in the discussion on this topic. Matthew Johns and Wayne Bennett have never gotten on and I don't blame Wayne considering half of the drivel that comes out of Johns' mouth. Also, we all know that Gorden Tallis is no fan of Wayne either. So when it comes to discussions on people with god-like complexes, manipulating the media and acting with integrity, I hardly think Paul Kent and his cronies are in any position to be casting aspersions.

Lambretta

First Grade
Sure

But why is this thread solely aimed at Kent?

Ikin was just as if not more vocal about Milford's shortcomings even called Norman ahead of him in the qld pecking order.

To be honest, I would put Norman ahead of Milford as a half
Norman has better organisational skills and is one of the most complete players in the game

I am weeping into my porridge that he's not a New South Welshman
He'd walk into our team and there would be daylight between him and the next player available ability wise

About sums us up really. How f**king sad that someone considered by some to be the 4th best player in a position in Queensland is better than our best by a country mile.

Lambretta

First Grade
Ikin: Nice chip shot, hows training going?
Benji: Yeah good bro, partnered up with Milf, he was goin a bit light eh so we partnered up and we are smashin it bro, here feel my pecks, feel them, hard as bro.
Kent (on TV): Benji is horrified at Milfs training.
Benji: WTF?

Seriously how pissed would Benji be at all this, I'd be livid.

This is probably on the money

Benji probably made some jokey comment when asked about which team mate dislikes training the most and he said "nah they're all good, honestly, ok probably Milford, he occasionally tries to avoid doing his full quota's of push ups the cheeky bugger lol" and it gets blown up into "Benji- furious at lazy Milford"

POPEYE

Coach
To be honest, I would put Norman ahead of Milford as a half
Norman has better organisational skills and is one of the most complete players in the game

I am weeping into my porridge that he's not a New South Welshman
He'd walk into our team and there would be daylight between him and the next player available ability wise

About sums us up really. How f**king sad that someone considered by some to be the 4th best player in a position in Queensland is better than our best by a country mile.
Norman doesn't deserve to be mentioned in any comparison with Milford . . . with Cronk/Thurston/Maloney yes

Latest posts