What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Journalists making sh*t up?

Canard

Immortal
I thought Ikin wasn't talking to Bennett due to the affair issue.

So not sure why people are falling for GWs claims in this thread.

Spot On

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ing-the-plot-in-brisbane-20170325-gv6hbj.html

The great Weedler has emptied an entire magazine into Benny in this piece.

Will Wayne win the war????

Has he lost his marbles?

Does he know who Jason Smith is?

Will he pay Milford a million a year to cut corners, add to his already bulging skin fold measurements and max out at 8 reps instead of 10 in the gym?

Weedler and his hack mates won't let this go. The supercoach may need to have a sit down with the media and sort out a truce before it gets very ugly.

Last edited:

SBD82

Coach
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ing-the-plot-in-brisbane-20170325-gv6hbj.html

The great Weedler has emptied an entire magazine into Benny in this piece.

Will Wayne win the war????

Has he lost his marbles?

Does he know who Jason Smith is?

Will he pay Milford a million a year to cut corners, add to his already bulging skin fold measurements and max out at 8 reps instead of 10 in the gym?

Weedler and his hack mates won't let this go. The supercoach may need to have a sit down with the media and sort out a truce before it gets very ugly.
FMD. Emptied the magazine is right. What a catty little bitch Weidler is.

Where's Ben T'eo when you need him?

Big Salad

Juniors
Broncos have played last year's top 4 and come away with two wins, a 1-point golden point loss and a 2-point loss in the last 5 minutes.

If the coach has lost the players it will show on the field in some form as we've seen from all teams over the years that have had it happen. Don't see how anyone can draw that conclusion for the Broncos right now.

souths_reborn

Juniors
Wayne made three points. 1) Benji denied making the statement. 2) Benji denied speaking to Kent. 3) Benji denied making the statement directly to Kent.

Kent knows that these three points are a hostile attack on his integrity as a journalist because they provide interesting insight into his personal and journalistic ethics. On NRL 360 Kent's ego got the better of him for a moment (as it usually does) and he made a statement about Benji that was heavily implied to be a first hand factual account of that person's thoughts. There was no "allegedly" or "according to" or "rumor has it" - anyone watching that would have been left with the impression either that Paul gained that information from Marshall himself, or that it's undisputed common knowledge which it obviously was not.

Now in the meantime we find out that Kent is using his personal relationship with Ikin to needle information out of him regarding the Broncos. Since Benji denied saying that he was "horrified", and knowing that the information didn't come from Benji himself, we now know that "horrified" is somebody elses spin of events - again, something not made clear by Kent on NRL 360.

According to Kent he called up Benji afterwards to apologise. This demonstrates how easy it would have been for Kent to call up Benji in the first place and actually verify that the information relayed to him by a third party was correct before putting it out there for general consumption. And that's kind of his responsibility as a journalist. It also suggests that Kent really only cared about any backlash to Benji when he himself came under fire.

So all of this reveals a few things:

1) As a Limited News journalist, Kent doesn't feel that he is under any obligation to approach the primary subject of a story and confirm basic information about it.
2) As a Limited News journalist, Kent will go on television and pass off second hand gossip as fact.
3) As a Limited News journalist, Kent will milk his close friendship with Ikin to Ikin's detriment just to satisfy his own ego.

There's a reason why Kent's explanation is woefully nonsensical - there's no shortage of easily fooled people like yourself out there.
The funny thing is that I don't think Wayne Bennett's initial response to Kent's comments were anything personal. Instead, I think it was more about a coach defending his players rather him trying to get one back at the journalist. Moreover, given that Paul Kent has been covering league for such a long time, he would surely be aware that such a reaction is pretty much the norm, not just in league, but in all sports when a player comes under media scrutiny. The fact that Paul Kent reacted the way he did on the Matty Johns Show was extremely defensive and his comments about Wayne's supposed personality changes, his personal life and his treatment of the media were both misguided and inappropriate.

In saying that, I completely agree with your points about Kent passing on second hand information, gossip and innuendo. Whats funny is that he virtually compromised his own journalistic standards by mentioning that he never spoke to Benji Marshall. Personally, I feel this whole furore could have been avoided if Kent didn't throw Benji under the bus by mentioning his name and using expressions such as "allegedly" or referring to the Brisbane club or its player collectively - "There are players at the Broncos who are concerned about Milford's lack of commitment to training"

M2D2

Bench
Found the people who care what Weidler thinks about anything
fnf.png

Canard

Immortal
I'm no fan of Uncle Wayne, but Weedler writing "The truth is that Bennett's aura is gone.".

How can you make such a matter of fact statement about something so intangible like that?

Hopefully Kent and him get a dose of the squirts that lasts a decade.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I swear NRL 360 is turning NRL into a drama series. Like the way they analyze every game gives me the shits. The whole tigers thing this week gave me the shits. Yes I'm a tigers fan and we needed a change. But there were like 20 articles or segments this week on the one subject.

At the end of the day just let the teams play footy like it's like reading new idea listening to paul Kent, ben ikin and Phil rothfield the other day.

You know if the tigers had not switched off before half time probably would have been a close loss and the whole drama would not of happened. Like if canberra had lost there would of been 20 articles on raiders in crisis. We dropped the ball 5 times over then line against Penrith shit happens they punished us. We gave a lot of dumb penalties and dropped to much ball happens every 2nd week to most teams.

Like the way they talk to aaron woods as if he is some wests tigers god because he is a regular on their show tells me they don't really watched the games and don't get it.

Like after round 1 it was rabbitohs don't get along(then they won, then it was manly(then they won), then it was tigers, now it's brisbane, like who cares teammates are allowed to have a disagreement probably in the best interest sometimes to spark a player.

Just don't need to read 20 articles. Just let me watch the footy not the footy show. It's like walking dead and talking dead or game of thrones and thrown cast where they have to analyze each minute of each episode.
Do you actually know what the 'like' means?
Do you know how to use it in a sentence, in a manner where the word is used correctly.

Here's a tip. Don't start a sentence with it.

axl rose

Bench
The womens show .

Had a great interview with Ian Roberts on there. Id prefer it to 4 idiots on Ch 9 making fart jokes and doing head wobbles for 20 years. The QLD show though...they will never have any credibility if they keep that imbecile from the Courier Fail as host.

Paullyboy

Coach
I love watching that Te'o video, I'd like to think more players fight back behind closed doors like that but we just never see it.

I think I'm in the minority, but I don't mind Kent. Weidler on the other hand is the lowest of the low. It infuriates me that he makes a living off our great sport.