What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

June 30 cut off. Is it fair?

rednwhites

Juniors
A little bit off topic but I have been thinking about these 'June 30 players' switching teams mid year and wish to sound you out. I don't have a problem with it generally but I think, as it is, it opens up a small can of worms as a disadvantage to some teams.

I'll use the example of Moses Mbye who is a potentially match-winning player (but you could imagine this could be the best player in the comp). The Titans, struggling as it is, will play the Bulldogs this week and have to face up against the Tigers in the following round. They will have to face Mbye in both games.

To me this is not fair on the Titans as they are trying to compete on a level playing field. Mbye should by all means be able to play for the Tigers but he should be omitted from that game or any game where a team has already played the Bulldogs. In this particular case it means the Dragons will have to play Mbye three times before the finals this year so it affects many clubs.

I realise injuries, suspensions and representative commitments mean it is a bit of lottery about the ins and outs of great players but this a disadvantage to teams that can be controlled. I know a lot of fans will not think much of it because it doesn't usually involve big name players, but I see it as a problem.

Am I missing the point?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I think it’s good for the game and the players that if they don’t get along with the club or coach or areover the cap, they should be allowed to shine, somewhere else.

There must be a lot of Roosters players who can’t play for fear of being over the cap, not to mention players that can’t get a start cause they are stuck on a bench.

jeffdragon

Bench
Don't know why the dogs let him go
They still have to pay their wages this year .
If they dont get on with coach both parties should pull their heads in

BennyV

Referee
Don't know why the dogs let him go
They still have to pay their wages this year .
If they dont get on with coach both parties should pull their heads in
Say the dogs lose Mbye ($800k) and Tigpies pick up half the cost ($400k for Mbye is a decent deal). Then the dogs backfill his spot with a minimum when player. They’ve just gained $250k, which thy can use to frontload a contract. You couple that with the $250k (minimum) that losing Mbye gains them next year, and they’ve gained half a million for next years’ cap. Do the same with Woods and they’ve gained over a million.

As for the OP, if Titans think it’s so unfair then they should have signed Mbye. The rule is fine.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I think it’s fair in the sense the rule applies across the board. It’s the exact same rule for every team.

The titans might feel it’s a good thing that they play him twice in one week.. maybe give him some extra attention in the first game.

Don’t forget it may take time for him to adjust to tigers so might actually be a blessing in disguise for the titans in the second game

rednwhites

Juniors
I think it’s fair in the sense the rule applies across the board. It’s the exact same rule for every team.

The titans might feel it’s a good thing that they play him twice in one week.. maybe give him some extra attention in the first game.

Don’t forget it may take time for him to adjust to tigers so might actually be a blessing in disguise for the titans in the second game

This is true but by the same token he played really well against us and now we have to face him at the Tigers twice and by then he would have gelled with the team.

I agree that the rule applies to all teams and we may benefit from getting a player mid season. That's a very good point.