What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justice for the old Magpies!

kdalymc

Bench
Not that I like 2 words in a suburb let alone 3. But wouldn’t South West Sydney be more geographically correct for “West’s” (Campbelltown) seeing that someone said Penrith have nabbed West Sydney

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Not that I like 2 words in a suburb let alone 3. But wouldn’t South West Sydney be more geographically correct for “West’s” (Campbelltown) seeing that someone said Penrith have nabbed West Sydney

No, they nabbed "Western Sydney Panthers" back when they were trying to buy the Wanderers (i assume a Wanderers > Panthers rebrand was the thought.)

Doesnt mean they own "Western Sydney" as a name...

POPEYE

Coach
Magpies will never be endangered and need to be protected . . . Wests should continue that theme and escape from pity

big hit!

Bench
I think you missed my point...

The location can be whatever they like; Wests, West Sydney, Western Suburbs. (but a few years with that name and they will be more recognised than the VFL or Soccer teams. They might have arrived earlier, but RL is just more famous in West Sydney. Tigers dont need to worry about the other little sports)

My point is, now that Balmain is basically out of the JV, they might not want to keep the Tiger as their logo. However, this does not mean the MUST go back to the Magpie. There is a middle ground that will shift the brand without banishing Balmain fans entirely.

I understand your point.

West Sydney is an incorrect noun. Referencing a region would be Western. That's not my opinion, it's clearly explained.

big hit!

Bench
South Sydney and North Sydney.
We have a suburb called East Brisbane.
There is a state called south Australia, and a country called South Africa

And where is East Brisbane? Is it out near Manly or to the east of Brisbane. What about North Melbourne, South Melbourne, North Adelaide, North Sydney, South Sydney, etc?

The region Magpies are aiming to get a hold in is 'Western' Sydney ....not Pyrmont & Glebe. The Magpies were Western Suburbs, not West Suburbs. Just as the university out in fibro country is Western Sydney University, there are the Western Sydney parklands, Western Sydney Wanderers, Greater Western Sydney Giants, etc

It'll never get off the ground anyway. Penrith can slap an injunction on the use of the name as they already have Western Sydney. West Sydney is similar.

kdalymc

Bench
Are you the type that wants to keep Australia Day January 26 because your only argument is “the invasion was another day”?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
And where is East Brisbane? Is it out near Manly or to the east of Brisbane. What about North Melbourne, South Melbourne, North Adelaide, North Sydney, South Sydney, etc?

The region Magpies are aiming to get a hold in is 'Western' Sydney ....not Pyrmont & Glebe. The Magpies were Western Suburbs, not West Suburbs. Just as the university out in fibro country is Western Sydney University, there are the Western Sydney parklands, Western Sydney Wanderers, Greater Western Sydney Giants, etc

Its a f*cking brand. It doesnt need to make sense...

I think most people want "West Sydney Tigers" just because its so close to "Wests Tigers"

It'll never get off the ground anyway. Penrith can slap an injunction on the use of the name as they already have Western Sydney. West Sydney is similar.

A) Im pretty sure that would only work if the Tigers rebranded to "Western Sydney Panthers". I doubt they can claim to own the name of the location alone.

B) they took out the IP in 2011. Im fairly sure it will have lapsed since they havent used it since...