What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kalyn Ponga Chooses QUEENSLAND

davi

Juniors
Kalyn Ponga decides he wants to aspire to play for Queensland and Australia one day. Sorry Kiwi's.

"THE Kangaroos appear to have landed the first blow ahead of next week’s trans-Tasman Test with the Kiwis conceding defeat in the chase for Cowboys wonderkid Kalyn Ponga.

The Courier Mail can reveal New Zealand management has been informed Ponga will pledge his allegiance to Queensland and Australia.

Ponga, whose father Andre is from New Zealand, is eligible to play for both countries but is yet to play senior representative football.

The Kiwis had their eye on the teenage young gun for the season-ending World Cup and he would have come into contention the May 6 Test in Canberra.

He may have been called into an expanded Kiwi squad for some experience before the end-of-year-tournament, but also to force his hand on eligibility and keep him away from the Aussies.

But Kiwi management revealed on Monday they had been told Ponga will not play for New Zealand.

While the Kiwis have been notified of Ponga’s decision, he is yet to inform Maroons coach Kevin Walters.

Walters did not select Ponga for this year’s Emerging Origin camp as he left the 19-year-old to ponder his representative future and said he would not pressure Ponga for an answer.

“I haven’t heard anything,” Walters said.

“We have left Kalyn alone. He wasn’t sure what he wanted to do.

“We’re not going to force him into anything.

“He’s got to go where his heart is and who he feels the most allegiance to. That’s where he belongs.”

Ponga has been the centre of an international tug of war since bursting on to the scene in the under-20s.

He decided to not play representative football last year after both the Junior Kiwis and Kangaroos planned to pick him and will do the same in 2017.

The Queensland Rugby League has a policy of not selecting players for the Maroons under-20s that have played five NRL games in a season.

Ponga played his fifth NRL match of the season in last Saturday’s win against Newcastle, the club he will join next year on a multi-million dollar deal."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/3b706b62e46a562a2539c2a2517bcf36

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/a0bd74d7e2d5e2b1c657f5ada2dbc87d

Ponga’s Origin-al sin

NEW Zealand may have conceded defeat in the representative tug of war for Kalyn Ponga but the Cowboys ace has a lot to learn about the Queensland jumper.

The 19-year-old has a stunning admission — he knows barely anything about State of Origin.

“I didn’t watch Origin to be honest,” he said. “As a kid, I grew up loving golf and I didn’t really watch TV. I preferred to play sport rather than watch it.

“Even last year, I didn’t know half of the top Origin squad. I knew Johnathan Thurston and Michael Morgan obviously from playing with them (at the Cowboys) but I didn’t know many others.”

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...p/news-story/a0bd74d7e2d5e2b1c657f5ada2dbc87d

Ponga’s Origin-al sin

NEW Zealand may have conceded defeat in the representative tug of war for Kalyn Ponga but the Cowboys ace has a lot to learn about the Queensland jumper.

The 19-year-old has a stunning admission — he knows barely anything about State of Origin.

“I didn’t watch Origin to be honest,” he said. “As a kid, I grew up loving golf and I didn’t really watch TV. I preferred to play sport rather than watch it.

“Even last year, I didn’t know half of the top Origin squad. I knew Johnathan Thurston and Michael Morgan obviously from playing with them (at the Cowboys) but I didn’t know many others.”

NRL in CRISIS!!!!!!

shiznit

Coach
Good on the kid... as long as he's happy with the decision he makes.

It wouldn't have been easy for him as I know he comes from a strong Maori family... which would have a strong pull on him to represent them in the Kiwis.

But I'm sure they will be proud of him either way.

Latest posts