What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kangaroos squad

No I wouldn't say so. Mal has stuck with those that did the job before.

Ferguson and Cordner made these sides last year despite being in a shit team.

Cordner was playing well last year once he came back from his pectoral injury mid-season. Been going gangbusters ever since. Ferguson was poor for much of last season, but was player of the tour for Australia in the Four Nations. His form this year has been good one minute, bad the next.

I wasn't saying "Merrin didn't deserve to be there". I have not seen enough of Penrith's games this year to say whether Merrin has been playing well in a beaten side or not, which is what I was getting at, but obviously not saying very clearly. Hope that clears it up for you.

Billythekid

First Grade
It's not an awful team but it's not a great one either. I could see them winning the one off test simply because NZ always struggle. If the team looks anything like that come World Cup time I think Australia will struggle. If only England could field a decent side there might have been a chance for a final not involving Australia.

Edit: there are a few surprises there. If NZ can actually field a full strength side for once they really should be Australia comfortably IMO.

SBD82

Coach
Very f**king clever of Mal.

Knows that Australia will probably be good enough to do the job anyway, so he selects woods, Merrin, Dugan and ferguson to force laurie's hand and give the maroons a(n unnecessary) leg up.

skeepe

Immortal
Meninga said Chambers was selected because he's the form centre in the competition.

The mind boggles.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Picking players on Loyalty... Has worked for Queensland because they have had some of the greatest players of all time. Now those players are getting to the end of their career, this approach could backfire on Australia if NZ picks a bunch of in form players!

Papalii's out of the Test team. Following is from the NRL's website -

Papalii withdrawn from Kangaroos team
Fri 28 Apr, 2017, 3:50pm
Media Release, NRL

The NRL said today that Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii has been withdrawn from the Kangaroos team for the 2017 ANZAC Test next Friday.

CEO Todd Greenberg said he had been advised by the Raiders that Papalii will face a disciplinary hearing before the club's Board early next week.

"Given that Josh pleaded guilty to drink driving we believe it is inappropriate for him to join the Kangaroos camp," Mr Greenberg said.

"We would expect that the decision to stand him down from the Test will be taken into consideration when the Raiders Board considers the matter next week."

Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga said he supported the decision by the NRL to stand down Papalii from the ANZAC Test match, against New Zealand on Friday, May 5.

"I have spoken to Josh and, while it is disappointing for him to miss a Test, he understands the decision was made in the best interests of the team," Meninga said.

"The game has made a really strong stance against this behaviour and I'm a very strong believer that this stance is the right course of action.

"This doesn't prevent Josh from making himself available for the World Cup at the end of the year and I reiterated that to Josh today."

Pommy

Coach
If Papalii decided to play for Samoa or the Cook Islands next week would that impact his Origin chances?

roughyedspud

Coach
If Papalii decided to play for Samoa or the Cook Islands next week would that impact his Origin chances?

as the guy above said..won't affect his chances at all...the new RLIF laws effectively killed the australia eligibility law from origin :)

Last edited:

flamin

Juniors
You would have to think Aaron Woods is out after leaving the field last night with a hamstring injury.

Latest posts