What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kasey Bagder :: First Female Toyota Cup Referee

azsportza

Live Update Team
239036-kasey-badger.jpg

DRIVEN, fearless and uncompromising - meet the NRL's first female referee.

Kasey Badger, 25, who in 2004 began refereeing in the local Parramatta junior competition, will create history on Saturday night at Brookvale Oval when she becomes the first woman to referee in the Toyota Cup.

FULL STORY: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...for-kasey-badger/story-e6frexnr-1226324241376

It is great to see Kasey finally get into the "big leagues" and being the first female Toyota Cup referee. She is very knowledgeable as an official and has earned her spot in the Under 20 role. And yes she is married to current NRL referee Gavin Badger.

Big Pete

Referee
Good on her.

Hope she does a good job, will be interesting to see how she goes and how the players respond to her.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I remember a girl in the 1980s or 90s reffing reserve grade. I'm not quite sure if she made it to A Grade. Someone did a story on her. Can't remember her name though.

Maybe some of the old timers might remember her.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yes, Jenny Robinson was refereeing the lower grades, also became the first female to referee a NSWRL Grand Final, Harold Matthews in 2000 IIRC.

Also a Schoolboys game that year, was on Ch 9. Did a decent job, also I think probably 8 years ago, she and two female touch judges were in charge of a Jersey Flegg match.

Dont know if she still referees these days, might do better than her husband.

Well done to Kasey Badger, hope she keeps it up.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I was in Parramatta Refs with her. She was always very driven to succeed. Funny how she married a ref too. What would their home life be like?

I wonder if he changes the channel on him she can put him on report.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...oval-on-saturday/story-e6frf3ou-1226324520700

Kasey Badger to become first female referee in Toyota Cup at Brookvale Oval on Saturday
By Tyson Otto and Jashvina Shah The Daily Telegraph April 12, 2012 8:58AM

Great partnership ... Kasey and Gavin Badger are an NRL first. Source: Mark Evans / News Limited
Driven, fearless and uncompromising - meet the NRL's first female referee.

Kasey Badger, 25, who in 2004 began refereeing in the local Parramatta junior competition, will create history on Saturday night at Brookvale Oval when she becomes the first woman to referee in the Toyota Cup.

Her goal is to go one step further and join her husband Gavin as an NRL first-grade whistleblower. The fact she is on track to make the journey from junior representative referee to NRL referee quicker than her husband is a bonus.

"I don't work as hard as I do or train as hard as I do for nothing," Kasey said.

"I know I've got an apprenticeship to serve and I know it can seem like the longest apprenticeship in the world sometimes. Just ask Gavin, it took him 16 years.

"But that's what I have to do to get where I want."

Gavin has no doubt his wife has what it takes to referee in the NRL, and her fitness and dedication to training are only part of the picture: "She's got no problem yelling at me so I've got no doubt she can handle herself out there. She can hold her own with anyone."

Kasey and Gavin are not the only people who believe she'll reach her goal.

NSWRL referees coach Tony Danks, who promoted her from the junior representative squad to the state squad this year, said it was only a matter of time before she cracked the NRL first-grade refereeing ranks -- if she continues to put in the hard yards at training.

The biggest hurdle she still has to overcome is fitness, not femininity. That is the motivation behind her 6.30am workout sessions in the gym most mornings -- voluntary training sessions done on top of the three field trainings and video session she does with the NSWRL state refereeing squad every week.

Training head-to-head with her husband -- who is one of the NRL's fittest refs -- has also kept her ahead of the curve. It has nothing to do with special treatment, "and that's exactly the way I want it," she said.

"All I want is to be rewarded for hard work. That's it."

That doesn't mean she hasn't copped plenty from unruly fans.

"If any referee says they haven't copped flak they're lying," she said.

"Generally the players are really good. They might be a bit more careful around me. The crowd are the worst.

"I've copped it hard. One guy even said, 'That's why women shouldn't be allowed to referee'.

"But that's nothing new. That doesn't bother me.

"They'll throw out different lines at me but I think the level of abuse I get is the same as other referees."

The players she's umpired in SG Ball or officiated over as a touch judge in the Toyota Cup and NSW Cup have already learnt on their own to be on their best behaviour around her.

"A lot of them will apologise if they swear around me now and say, 'Sorry miss'," she added.

It could be as little as 12 months before NRL superstars are making the same apologies.
----------------

great to see more females getting more prominent roles in the game. lets judge her on her merits not her gender

Patorick

Staff member
In other news, Phil Rothfield just purchased a seat very close to the touchline, aswell as a very large camera lens.

(For journalistic purposes).

BunniesMan

Immortal
Who cares. As long as she's being promoted on merit and not because of the type of genitals she has, it's not a big deal. There's no reason why a female can't ref male sport. Besides it's not like the males currently doing the job are setting an incredibly high standard.

On other matters, The Badger is punching way above his weight.

WayneBennett

Juniors
Who cares. As long as she's being promoted on merit and not because of the type of genitals she has, it's not a big deal. There's no reason why a female can't ref male sport. Besides it's not like the males currently doing the job are setting an incredibly high standard.

On other matters, The Badger is punching way above his weight.

you said genitals. Genitals are funny