What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels release Kieran Foran

phantom eel

First Grade
Have i missed something?

Foran asks for a release and then expects to be paid to be released.

That would be like me quitting my job and asking for a couple months pay as a condition of me leaving.

I hope the club tells him to get farked and just leave.
You probably missed the season-ending shoulder injury that occurred while he was our employee. Minimum we should do is pay him out for the rest of the season that prematurely ended in injury on our watch... and also be thankful he's put up his hand to not stick to next year's contract conditions (and thus freed up $800K-$1.2M for our 2017 cap).

Happy MEel

First Grade
Has anyone seen the letter requesting the release?
Do we know the effective date and any other requests that were made in it?

No I haven't. But I also haven't seen him at matches or in training photos since the club confirmed they had received a request for a release. It appears that in Foran's mind, he has already gone.

Mickyd39

Juniors
You probably missed the season-ending shoulder injury that occurred while he was our employee. Minimum we should do is pay him out for the rest of the season that prematurely ended in injury on our watch... and also be thankful he's put up his hand to not stick to next year's contract conditions (and thus freed up $800K-$1.2M for our 2017 cap).

I don't have an issue paying him out due to his injury but it seems he also wants 2 to 3 months severance pay after he requsted the release.
I'm sorry but i won't be thanking him for anything.
If he didn't ask for the release he would still be contracted to the club and i would expect to honour that contract next season.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Its looking more and more like Keiran just didnt like the drive each day from Gods Country and his Missus didnt like him mixing with Westies.
Im also highly suspicious of the "hamstring" injury. Given its been documented he had one of his "Keiran Breakdowns" over Christmas I reckon the hamstring injury was a cover story.
Its also more than obvious this bloke will be playing elsewhere next year. Miraculous recovery no doubt.
Im now putting this bloke into the Ricky Stuart category.
For a bloke who is suppose to be a best mate to BA hes certainly served it up to him.
Dont let the door hit you on your way out. Good riddance.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Its looking more and more like Keiran just didnt like the drive each day from Gods Country and his Missus didnt like him mixing with Westies.
Im also highly suspicious of the "hamstring" injury. Given its been documented he had one of his "Keiran Breakdowns" over Christmas I reckon the hamstring injury was a cover story.
Its also more than obvious this bloke will be playing elsewhere next year. Miraculous recovery no doubt.
For a bloke who is suppose to be a best mate to BA hes certainly served it up to him.
I don't think he'd pretend to have a mental illness or relationship issues. It has caused massive damage to his reputation and earning potential.

Dibs

Bench
F*ck him, I hope the door snaps his achillies

hineyrulz

Post Whore
No I haven't. But I also haven't seen him at matches or in training photos since the club confirmed they had received a request for a release. It appears that in Foran's mind, he has already gone.
Yep, even Watmough has been to games and Corey flew up with the team and was in the dressing sheds during and after the game.

But I suppose Keiran should be a special case because he displayed all this amazing leadership in his time at the club.......

eel01s

Bench
All for a severance payout if the NRL gives us cap relief, allowing us to frontload some contracts.

Shame it didn't work out with Foran, he was the missing piece of the puzzle for us imo.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Is this "cap relief" some of you are talking about guaranteed? Why would the NRL allow us to pay Foran the amount he is owed for the remainder of this salary cap year as a payout and not have it count towards the cap? He isn't retiring due to injury as was the case with Watmough so I don't see how we'll suddenly have an extra $200k to front load contracts.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm not buying into the Foran hate right now. Even if he ends up playing for another club next year, it would only be happening cos BA has a better option. For mine, we instigated the termination process and it's happening based on our succession planning.

phantom eel

First Grade
Yep, like when Lyon went to Wee Waa and St Helens - it was all done via the Club remaining in control of his contract for the time he was meant to be playing for us.

We are in charge of where Foran plays next year, and wouldn't be releasing him to do so unless there is a gain for us - even if that gain is just his $1.2M back to spend elsewhere next season.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'm not buying into the Foran hate right now. Even if he ends up playing for another club next year, it would only be happening cos BA has a better option. For mine, we instigated the termination process and it's happening based on our succession planning.

There has been nothing that has come out in the media or from the club that indicates anything other than Foran initiating the request for release. For mine, the most plausible scenario was that Foran couldn't handle the Eels limelight and between him and his
Manager, decided the best outcome would be to play for another club from 2017.

The only reason we are considering the release is because Foran has turned out to be a terrible signing and the cap expense could be much better spent.

I seriously doubt we either shopped Kieran around or asked him to ask for a release.

strider

Post Whore
Is this "cap relief" some of you are talking about guaranteed? Why would the NRL allow us to pay Foran the amount he is owed for the remainder of this salary cap year as a payout and not have it count towards the cap? He isn't retiring due to injury as was the case with Watmough so I don't see how we'll suddenly have an extra $200k to front load contracts.
Yeah i have my doubts it can help us capwise

strider

Post Whore
There has been nothing that has come out in the media or from the club that indicates anything other than Foran initiating the request for release. For mine, the most plausible scenario was that Foran couldn't handle the Eels limelight and between him and his
Manager, decided the best outcome would be to play for another club from 2017.

The only reason we are considering the release is because Foran has turned out to be a terrible signing and the cap expense could be much better spent.

I seriously doubt we either shopped Kieran around or asked him to ask for a release.
I reckon its that he cant handle being the "saviour" at this point in time ... he can probably be a strong contributor somewhere, but he was brought to parra to save the world ... seems he's a bit too fragile

oldmancraigy

Coach

Hope this is right.

Would feel better about Hayne and a defender type in the halves next to Norman than having Norman/ Foran/ Gordon.

Fullback is so important for attack these days, having a non-playmaker makes life tough.
Norman has matured (as a player, hopefully soon as a person?) to the point he can take a dominant halves role and free Hayne to attack.

Let's see how it pans out.